History of a new Scottish DVR-007 owner... (Huge post)

rjgscotland

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
DVR-007
I stumbled across this site strangely *after* I purchased my dash cam, despite it being exactly the sort of website I was looking for when I was doing my dash cam research... Go figure!

What follows is me dumping all things dash cam out of my head and into this post.

Anyway, I like to think I learned enough about the various cheap Chinese dash cams out there to know what cheap one to buy. In the end I settled on the DVR-007, which is as far as I can work out, the same as the DVR-027 but with a different body style and no IR LEDs. It's also a little cheaper as a result. (I also deemed the IR LEDs completely useless, but I'm now sort of regretting not buying the DVR-027 for the odd occasion when I might want to mess around with the camera in the dark outwith the car). Does anyone have any recordings taken in a dark room with the DVR-027? I'd be interested to see how useful or not the LEDs actually are...

rguk.eu_s_carcams8.jpg

Pic: dx.com

A bit of history...

First...

My dash cam beginnings were in 2006 when I got my first car. Back then there was simply no such thing readily available for anything but a small fortune. I'd always wanted one of the ProVida systems that the police used and I would see clips from on TV. I'm a hacker (sometimes more of a bodger), however, so I went down the DIY route. The key to this was the fact that some years prior I'd been given by a friend a bunch of CMOS and CCD analogue CCTV "board cams" and a very low resolution PAL video TFT monitor. At the time there was just no cheap way to store masses of video so I decided to make use of an already obsolete piece of technology: the VCR. For £10 plus a little postage, I had myself a 12v car VCR. This was installed in the boot, the CCTV cameras were fixed to the front and rear windows and the monitor was put in place. A load of wiring later and it was good to go. I opened up the VCR and de-soldered the IR sensor and put it on the end of a wire and mounted it above the parcel shelf. This allowed me to get into the car and aim the remote behind me to start or stop recording. I ran this set-up for a couple of years, recording onto a rotation of VHS tapes. It mostly worked fine, with the occasional problem with the tape getting chewed up by the VCR. This was due to condensation forming on the head drum and capstans which the tape then stuck to. Eventually the VCR gave up. It was never designed for such abuse unlike the police ProVida VHS systems, and it held up very well considering.

rguk.eu_s_carcams1.jpg

Poor video example from this set-up:

Then...

Not long after that I took the car off the road anyway and ended up selling it to a friend. When I got my current car I did away with any dash cam set-up until early last year, when I re-installed the old analogue system but replaced the VCR with a fairly crappy HDD DVR that cost £10 and took laptop HDDs. It was mostly to record a trip to Germany and back. It worked, kinda, but I'd end up losing a lot of recordings by forgetting to stop the recorder before cranking the engine (which would kill it). It also required manually switching on etc. Also, because it relied entirely on the car battery, in the event of a crash it's highly likely it would lose power (and the recording) anyway. Not to mention the shock on the rotating hard drive causing damage. The CCTV camera had a Sony chip in it and its night time performance was better than any dash cam I've seen available, even if the resolution was poor (I don't have a video to hand though).

rguk.eu_s_carcams2.jpg

(I actually swapped this camera for the Sony one I used to use in the rear in the old car)

rguk.eu_s_carcams3.jpg

Video example from this set-up:

For the Germany trip I also installed this, but that's another story:

rguk.eu_s_carcams4.jpg

Now...

Just before Christmas, I'd had enough. I just wanted a set-and-forget system that just worked. I knew by this point that there were plenty of cheap Chinese self contained units that just did the job they're designed for, so it was time to buy one. It arrived just before the new year and I have been trying it out. Having done plenty of research I knew exactly what to expect and so there were no surprises. For something that cost me a little over £30, it's excellent. For the video pedant in me, it has plenty of flaws, but I have to remind myself just how much it cost and what I'd bought it for.

I'll share my video quality gripes anyway:

Like nearly all cameras of this sort it has a very aggressive compression algorithm that limits the dynamic range at night. I can only describe it as "snapping to black". It's not that the sensor isn't picking anything up, it's that in order to suppress the noise it decides that when something is dark enough, it's just going to be black. This is shown when driving along a road with street lights - when you pass under a street light and it flares the lens, you can suddenly see detail in the distance you couldn't before - hills and trees against the sky, etc. I would much rather have a noisy image than losing everything because when you're driving on an unlit road at night, you can barely see anything other than what's in the brightest part of the headlight beam and the closest white lines, cats eyes, etc. I've come across countless mobile phone cameras that also do this, my Kodak Playsport does this, my mate's Contour HD does this...

The next gripe is the fact it has very coarse exposure adjustments which means it might over or under expose in a given situation. I currently have my camera aimed lower than most seem to because I was having issues with it exposing for the sky rather than the road.

Others of course include the 2-3 second gap between videos that everyone knows about. I currently have the camera on 5 min clips and use a class 10 SD card. I have observed less delay between clips at two minutes, but it begs the question - what's worse? Losing a second every two minutes or losing 3 seconds every 5 minutes. One increases the possibility of a file change happening during something "interesting", but losing less, the other decreases the chance but at the risk of losing more recording should it happen.

Another common problem with this camera is blurring at one side of the image. This seems to be a poorly fitted lens at fault and from what I can gather from Google translate from Russian, someone has had some success solving the problem by dismantling the camera. See this page. If the problem bothers me enough I may well open it up to try to fix it.

Finally, I noticed that street lights were causing an excessive amount of lens flare once they had passed off the frame. I've had good success reducing this effect:

rguk.eu_s_carcams6.jpg

Video after applying the "lens hood":

I decided to re-use a high quality 5v voltage regulator that I'd been using for the HDD recorder in the previous set-up. This meant I could keep the stock cig lighter adapter with its long lead for any occasion I want to use the camera in another car. It's hard wired in to the ignition live feed for the stereo and I was able to re-use the cable I had run for the previous analogue CCTV camera and splice on a tail and connector from an old wall wart.

rguk.eu_s_carcams5.jpg

Next...

Create a quick release system. I came across a Youtube user that had used a Gorillapod in a creative way (they have quick release heads) for his dash cam. I'm thinking about taking it further and modifying the stock suction mount, or buying a replacement. I'm thinking something along the lines of a cheap Chinese mini tripod or Gorillapod equivalent with a quick release plate, and removing the head and permanently fixing it to the suction mount in some way. I might start a new thread about this.

Finally...

So, I think that's about it. If anyone's managed to read through this then you either have a lot of patience or are just very bored. I thought that I would just write this all out as some may find it interesting.

Here's a couple of fairly uninteresting test clips straight from the camera:

Day:

Night (prior to "lens hood"):

DX SKU: 35356

rguk.eu_s_carcams7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow rjgscotland. That is an amazing post. You are a dash cam pioneer! The VHS setup is impressive. Also the hard drive setup.

Thanks for the detailed review on the DVR-007. You are right it is nearly identical to the DVR-027. An impressive camera for the price with commonly known negatives. The lens hood idea is great and I am looking forward to see the quick release mount you create!

I'll let you know how I get on with the mount if/when I do it!

Another observation of the DVR-007:

I noticed that if it's night time and you enter photo mode, the picture is very grainy with no noise reduction applied. If you then go into video mode, it continues with no noise reduction until you point the camera into a bright light to make it adjust the exposure.

Just now I experienced the camera getting stuck in this "no noise reduction" state by itself from power on, without me going into the photo mode. As it happens I took the same route i had the previous night so I can show the same two scenes with and without the noise reduction.

You're best viewing the images at the full size, so click either of them to view the image directly if they have been cropped.

Without noise reduction:

With noise reduction:

As far as I know it should always be applying noise reduction on the video, so this appears to be a bug. It's interesting to note however that if you're viewing the video scaled down, the version without noise reduction is perceived to be much sharper.

Hi rjgscotland ,

Interesting bug. You can really see the difference with the noise reduction on. Not sure what could be causing this. One would hope it would be on automatically and you don't need to force the noise reduction on.

Thanks for sharing, if I come across a solution I will post.

rjgscotland said:
I'll let you know how I get on with the mount if/when I do it!

Another observation of the DVR-007:

I noticed that if it's night time and you enter photo mode, the picture is very grainy with no noise reduction applied. If you then go into video mode, it continues with no noise reduction until you point the camera into a bright light to make it adjust the exposure.

I've just recently (like last night) noticed this is also an issue with my DVR-027 in picture mode with the IR lights off there are small pops in what is a complete black image, and with the IR lights on in complete darkness it is extremely grainy.

Also your post is really great. Loved your set-ups and neat to see the footage.

Is there any chance you could take some video with your DVR-027 in a completely dark room with the IR lights on? I want to see how effective it is indoors.

Thanks!

I'll give it a try.
Here are the pictures i took last night.
IR Light off room is completely dark
i50.tinypic.com_vo62dt.jpg

same shot IR light on
i48.tinypic.com_153teer.jpg

Looks like the forum cuts it off. If you do view image you will see the whole image.

Thanks very much, that was useful. I'm considering getting a 2nd camera, but a DVR-027 at some point (or swapping my DVR-007 out as a friend wants one). Less for in the car but more just mucking about with - think of it as a poor mans action camera but often used in underground spaces and handheld.

Enjoyed that read thank you :)

Learnt a little in the process I think as well.

rjgscotland said:
think of it as a poor mans action camera but often used in underground spaces and handheld.

It is not recomended using a DashCam running only on battery for much serious recording i would not do it while driving, but to play around with it might work out alright.

I'm working on the videos i took a video of my ceiling one one was very grainy with the IR light on. One was decent with the IR light on.

Yeah I've yet to see how long mine goes for on its internal battery. The DVR-027 is better in that respect in that you can swap out the batteries. As for the grainy IR video - if you point the camera at a bright light source briefly, when it re-adjusts back to the dark, the grain will be gone (seems to have a noise reduction bug). Trouble is, it's difficult to tell if it's grainy or not on the screen!

Ok so I don't have my own Youtube Channel so i can not throw them up there but i put them on TinyPic

http://tinypic.com/r/30a4dhh/6
IR Light on Audio recording set to off in Menu file directly from camera.
That bright white is from the IR Light bouncing off the ceiling.

http://tinypic.com/r/6ezp8m/6
IR Light on Audio recording set to on in Menu file directly from camera. (TV was on in another room)
I believe i had turned Audio on in the menu turned the camera off then on to make sure audio would record and then recorded.

and then with the lights off like in the picture before there are small white pops in a complete dark image.
and when the audio being picked up from my camera is low it has those little cracks and pops but when the audio is a more normal level i don't notice them.

I also use a SanDisk Ultra 32GB card.
i47.tinypic.com_8wgieu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You are welcome.

Hice post.

I have the DVR007 for over 7 months now. Great little camera.
BUT, recently the buttons started to press by itself! At first it was the "up" button, so it made all my videos overexposed, then the "down" button, and now "menu" and "mode" joined the game... with "mode" being the leader (sometimes It only takes couple of seconds from turning the camera on until it clicks itself)
I thought it was hardware problem so I opened it and disabled the "mode" button (removed the metal contact inside the switch), but the button continued pressing itself! so it must be a software glitch...
I found couple of other guys online, complaining about the same problem.

So if anyone knows about this problem, or have any info, please reply...

In the meantime I'm looking for other similar cameras to replace mine, so what would you suggest? I was looking at "F900LHD" nice fancy design but I don't like the quality of the sample videos I've watched, compared to the DVR007!

That's... really weird. Given that it only happens after a while, I reckon that it's probably still a hardware fault but not right at the buttons. It'll be something more towards the processor, or whatever IC is dealing with the button inputs, perhaps some bad solder joints on the PCB or a problem with an intermediate component. I've not opened up my DVR-007 yet, but if I experience that fault I will certainly do that and based on previous experience I won't be too surprised if re-flowing all the solder joints that exist between the buttons and whatever they're connected to will fix the problem.

However, it's not impossible that it's a software fault, but it seems very strange given that the software shouldn't be changing in any way.

Hi KoKi,

Not sure what is causing your problem on the DVR-007.

As for similar cameras to replace yours, it all depends on what you are looking for. What did you not like about the DVR-007? Any features you want that it doesn't have?

If you want better video quality and don't like the quality of the Ambarella cameras (F900LHD, F500LHD, etc.) you will probably want to purchase a Korean camera.

Also in case anyone is wondering. I bought my DVR-027 in the beginning of December off estore009 as recommended on the DVR-027 FAQ page.

It has version 1206050 (2012/June 05/Version 0) and coming in and out of the menu to check the version even when keeping in Video record mode the picture on the LCD screen was noticeably grainy until i shined it at my computer screen and then looked at my desk so it is not just changing modes that does it.

With the IR light on if you come out of the menu the camera is grainy for a second, but i had it pointed an inch or two away from my desk the IR light shined bright and bounced back off the desk to the camera and it adjusted without pointing it to another light source.

Edit
I was out in town in an extremely well lit parking garage. I turned the camera on and drove home looking at the footage now it looks like the camera still has grain issues even after i assumed that it would of adjusted do to how well lit and bright it was in the garage,but maybe because it was not as bright in my car. Next time i might have to remember to shine a flash light directly at the camera and make sure it adjusts before night time driving.

It's funny, I've found myself doing this recently too - flashing a light into the camera to make it adjust and get rid of the grain. It doesn't do it every time but it's happened a couple of times recently.

By the way for anyone looking to buy a DVR-027 while this grain issue can be a small problem at night it is not there or not very noticeable during the day. If anyone is looking for a Dash Camera and does not want to spend a lot I would still recomend getting a DVR-027 for around 60 dollars it is well worth the price to have just in case something happens and obviously better then the SD knock off DVR-027 look a likes that go for 15-25 dollars that a lot of people, including myself before i did any research, are ending up with.

If it does come down to the flash light idea, and you said you were already doing this RJ, but i have seen and do have a key chain LED flash light that looks like this.

i47.tinypic.com_16h40hx.jpg

So you don't have to remember about lugging one around and that should be able to aim at the dash cam while it is on the windscreen if need be.

Back