DVR 027 suction cup

Nanook said:
Although my suction cup seems to be holding well, in California the law only allows for windshield mounting in the lower corners; mounting elsewhere is just a ticket waiting to happen.

does that only apply to suction cups or anything you stick to the window, would an iTronics or Blackview mount type where it is stuck with adhesive be acceptable or the same rule applies?

low down and in the corners is less than ideal if that's all you have to work with, any other states you know of that have similar rules?

jokiin said:
does that only apply to suction cups or anything you stick to the window, would an iTronics or Blackview mount type where it is stuck with adhesive be acceptable or the same rule applies?

low down and in the corners is less than ideal if that's all you have to work with, any other states you know of that have similar rules?
Glad you asked, as after a little investigation it appears the lower corners only apply to GPSs, and you can mount a camera in the top center of the windshield as long as it doesn't obstruct the driver's view. However, in the actual CA vehicle code there is a clause that stipulates "'Video event recorders' shall store no more than 30 seconds before and after a triggering event," and also "shall have a notice posted in a visible location which states that a passenger’s conversation may be recorded." God, what a nanny government we have in our great state.

Anyway, here's a map of the breakdown of general laws by state, and here's a list of the states with links to the relevant VC.

Nanook said:
jokiin said:

Glad you asked, as after a little investigation it appears the lower corners only apply to GPSs, and you can mount a camera in the top center of the windshield as long as it doesn't obstruct the driver's view. However, in the actual CA vehicle code there is a clause that stipulates "'Video event recorders' shall store no more than 30 seconds before and after a triggering event," and also "shall have a notice posted in a visible location which states that a passenger’s conversation may be recorded." God, what a nanny government we have in our great state.

Anyway, here's a map of the breakdown of general laws by state, and here's a list of the states with links to the relevant VC.

thanks for the updated info, very helpful, our shortest event setting is currently 1 minute before and after so we'll need to adjust that for your market

I've been having the same issue with the window mount not staying. my brother suggested using a Go Pro window mount. He said his has been on there for 6 months or so and there has been a good range of temperature and he hasn't had any issues. With a little testing using his mount we found you can take the mounting pieces from the mount sent with the camera and use them on the Go Pro Mount base without any issues.
The mount is $30 at best buy. http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail ... 8757814278

Last edited by a moderator:
jokiin said:
thanks for the updated info, very helpful, our shortest event setting is currently 1 minute before and after so we'll need to adjust that for your market
You are quite welcome. The more I think about it, the less it makes sense. Is the great state of California basically saying one cannot video record their travels? What about if you have a hand held camera? This really doesn't make any sense, but that's politicians for you...

Looking for really tiny mounts, I ordered this one and this one. I'll post my comments when they arrive.

Had the same problem. Had to warm up the suction cup in the heat to make it a bit more soft. Wish I knew that before going back to the seller. He sent me a brand new one right away.

Nanook said:
Snarfblat said:
a modified bicyle mount that could attach to the mirror arm:

Plus, good idea on the quick release. This one looks suitable: http://www.amazon.com/Tamrac-ZipShot-Tr ... B005E65BK4
[EDIT] I just received the above hardware, installed it, and it worked out perfectly, and no big obvious suction cup on the windshield. :D

Does the quick release introduce more shaking in the recorded video?

Horsepow3r said:
Nope. It locks in there solidly. Very happy with this setup.

Nanook said:
Horsepow3r said:
Nope. It locks in there solidly. Very happy with this setup.

I've placed an order for 2 of them. I drive trucks for a living. I can't leave the camera in the trucks, someone will steal it. I do leave the mounts though. Spinning the camera onto the mount every time is just a dumb design. These quick disconnects will be very handy. Thanks for the heads-up!

I got all excited about the handlebar mount for the rear view mirror...then I checked the mirrors in both cars and see that they won't fit. :(

Horsepow3r said:
I've placed an order for 2 of them. I drive trucks for a living. I can't leave the camera in the trucks, someone will steal it. I do leave the mounts though. Spinning the camera onto the mount every time is just a dumb design. These quick disconnects will be very handy. Thanks for the heads-up!
My pleasure! It actually comes with two male bits that screw in to the camera body. I have been using the smaller one with great results, just make sure you really torque it down. And my best friend is a Teamster. :D

Can you post a pic of the quick release installed on your vehicle?
Thanks

Great mount. :cool:
I think you could be more happy with the 007 instead of 027 because of the stupid lens.
Your windshield is just missing some Windshield Visor Window Film to look better.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
Great mount. :cool:
I think you could be more happy with the 007 instead of 027 because of the stupid lens.
Your windshield is just missing some Windshield Visor Window Film to look better.
Thanks Mtz! The only difference is the IR LEDs and the buttons on the side, right? I might get one for the back... And I thought you didn't like tinted windows... ;)

Tinted only on the top. You can see some examples in the mount examples thread.
I don't like cars with black windows and stupid people driving them. I don't see a big problem if the black windows are only on the back windows, but on the front is something like somebody is hiding because wants to break the law.

enjoy,
Mtz

Attachments

• camuflaj.jpg
    camuflaj.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 294
dashcam.br said:
Looking for really tiny mounts, I ordered this one and this one. I'll post my comments when they arrive.
And they finally arrived, three months after purchase.

Good thing I bought both. The one I first intended to buy is not much smaller than the original mount. Maybe 1 cm (< 1/2 inch) less then the original. The other one, without the suction cup (and currently sold out at DX), is much smaller - maybe little more the 3 cm (> 1 inch) smaller than the original mount.

Here are some pictures, for comparison:
2zdol1s.jpg

From left to right: the original mount, DX's SKU 189858 and DX's SKU 189856.

wtyf5.jpg

Another angle, trying to minimize distortions.

2uikeuc.jpg

From the other side.

Back