How to hide chrome lens ring without lacquering, use film!

thomaspeter

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi everyone!

As often commented, the DR500 is far too good visibile from the outside of the windscreen!

Concealing the holder is easy, I just used black velours style self adhesive film, works perfectly, can be easily done by everybody!

Covering the chromed lens ring is a little bit more challenging, because I did not want to lacquer it, maybe someday I want to resell the cam.

So I developed the following method, have a look!

You need a cut mat, a compass cutter (bought it for 5 euros via ebay), a piece of self adhesive matte black film, a bit of 800-grit sandpaper and a blade cutter:

The matte film isn't matte enough for me. Therefore I sand it, using a bit of water:

Using the compass cutter I cut two circles (1 x 12 mm, 1 x 20 mm in diameter):

The following steps are self-explaining:

To prevent the lens protection cap from rubbing away the film again, I carefully raspel one edge at an angle:

Done! Detachable and working well, I think ;)

Attachments

• DSC01531.jpg
    DSC01531.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 649
  • DSC01591.JPG
    DSC01591.JPG
    290 KB · Views: 649
  • DSC01594.JPG
    DSC01594.JPG
    263.7 KB · Views: 648
  • DSC01612.JPG
    DSC01612.JPG
    276.5 KB · Views: 650
  • DSC01623.JPG
    DSC01623.JPG
    285 KB · Views: 649
  • DSC01617.JPG
    DSC01617.JPG
    376.5 KB · Views: 650
  • DSC01629.JPG
    DSC01629.JPG
    363.2 KB · Views: 649
  • DSC01629.JPG
    DSC01629.JPG
    363.2 KB · Views: 649
Re: How to hide chrome lens ring without lacquering, use fil

I just used a black texta, far easier same result.
also, you need to mount your camera higher onto the black dots of ya window if you want to worry about making it more stealth, that low is like pasting a "please take me" sticker on the window as everyone can see it there. you can easily mount it another 1 inch higher.

wozzzzza said:
I just used a black texta, far easier same result.
also, you need to mount your camera higher onto the black dots of ya window if you want to worry about making it more stealth, that low is like pasting a "please take me" sticker on the window as everyone can see it there. you can easily mount it another 1 inch higher.

Thank you, wozz!

I didn't want to use any permanent markers at all, I prefer this way.

Why I positioned the cam below the dots on purpose (no kidding!):

Some day I hope to catch such footage as the meteorites in russia some months ago, maybe then I have to turn the cam a little bit upwards to focus it :roll:

Thomaspeter,it looks good and very detail photos.
I also tried using black tape to cover the chrome ring, but maybe the tape i use is not very good, it come off few hours later.
So i end up use masking tape cover the camera body and lens, then use charcoal grey color painted the chrome/blue/silver ring.

Cam.jpg

I used a black marker pen to colour the lens ring and camera mount. I am too lazy to go through all of these steps =)

Just bought some matte film and a compass cutter.

I'm in So California USA. What is Matte film and Velour film. Where would I find them. I get that a Texta is a Magic Marker. :)

defbear said:
I'm in So California USA. What is Matte film and Velour film. Where would I find them. I get that a Texta is a Magic Marker. :)

Scroll the page up and you will see pics of it and how to do it even

defbear said:

I'm in SoCal too. If you want, I can make a kit for you when my order comes in.
$2!

Will include 1 lens frame film (cover the shiny silver) and 1 bracket film (cover the gray bracket)

update: Decals now available

3qhv.jpg

FS thread
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1946

Last edited by a moderator:
Back