GS1000 No GPS Signal *Fix*

StevePR

Reaction score
Dash Cam
GS1000 SMH3.35 (From E-PRANCE)
Hey everybody, so I have a GS1000 SMH3.35 bought from E-Prance. I've read around that there has been solutions to the GPS problem in the GS1000, but I didn't find a concise thread on here (or anywhere in English). So here goes my story:

The GPS reception was just horrible; I drove around and never got a signal, not even by holding the DVR out in clear skies. Before playing around with the firmware, I decided to take out the GPS antenna from the case (I recall reading from one of these forums that somebody did that and they got very fast reception). So first I just disassembled the "holder" (the part with four screws on top of the DVR and one screw "hidden" on one side). The GPS antenna was now completely exposed, so I figured I would get good reception - wrong, I got nothing even holding it to clear skies. So I proceeded to open the case and take the cable - connecting the antenna to the board - out, and tried it again. This time I got GPS signal in seconds. I turned it off and repeated, and again GPS in seconds if not immediate. To do another test, I assembled the "holder" with the GPS antenna inside but the cable outside the case, and turned it on again. I got GPS signal again with no problem whatsoever.
So my conclusion is that there is some kind of interference on the cable inside the case (and not on the antenna itself). One solution is to simply drill a notch on the case and on the "holder" so that you can keep the cable outside the fully assembled DVR. I haven't done this change, but this is essentially the same configuration as in the third test, and so it should work (I suggest you do the "third" test before doing any changes to see if it works for you). But what I plan to do, is to wrap the cable in shielding foil (available in Amazon), and assemble the DVR with no modifications to the case or "holder." If foil idea does not work, I'll resort to doing the changes to the case. (In principle, the case is a shielding agent; you can see *what I suspect to be* the shielding spray inside the case, and not inside the "holder").

Hope this is helpful!

interesting experiment, an insulated wrap on those wires wight help, try to make sure it's nothing conductive though, if it's a foil make sure there's something over the foil externally, when you put it back together the wires get pushed back down and you wouldn't want it to contact anything that might cause a problem

I tried out "method 3" and it worked great. I made a couple of holes and routed the GPS coax outside of the body of the the cam. It locks onto signal very quickly now. Thanks!

Attachments

• coaxmod.jpg
    coaxmod.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 167
Back