Can dash-cams be used in Taxi cabs? Please advise.

Sam1969

Reaction score
Country
Canada
hey folks, I hope ya'll are doin well. I just have a quick question to ask. I drive a taxi cab for a living and I was recently involved in two separate accidents, none of which were my fault. In the first accident, we were both stopped at a red light when the idiot in front of my decides to put his car in reverse and drive it right into my car. The other incident, we were both going on our way when the car in front of me decides to do a brake check (on a 80km/h road) and slammed on her breaks hard, and although I was keeping a safe distance behind her, I had no way to prevent rear ending her. Obviously I had no way to prove my innocence in either case. Anyway, my insurance premium has sky-rocketed since and I recently heard about these dash-cams that people install in their cars.

Anyway, I only drive during the day, 6am-4pm shift. Since I am always on the road, I was wondering if these dash-cams will last me a while. I was especially interested in the DVR-207 dash-cam as it is both cheap and reliable with a particularly large user-base.

Is the DVR-207 a good choice for my needs? I really don't have much to spend at the moment, and I realize it is the best investment I could make at the moment, but with the recent incidents and the higher premium, also had to fix my taxi twice since I only have 3rd party liability, I'm just trying to make ends meet while raising a family if I am honest with ya'll.

I'd appreciate any assistance. god bless.

Although the DVR-027 is an older model, I've been using one on a daily basis without any issues.
Get a good card and format it every week or so and you should be good to go. I bought from estore009.
Early 207's had some issues, but should be solved by now. I'd save the $10 and get the proven 027.

Thanks bud. If I understand correctly, the only difference between the DVR-207 and DVR-027 is that the newer model, DVR-207, has gapless recording?

I am not entirely sure about what gapless recording actually means. Does the DVR-027 continuously record without you having to turn it on/off? What is the point of having, or rather the benefit of gapless recording in the newer model DVR-207?

You should probably check your laws too. Might have to put a notice saying its recording. At least thats the law in USA.

The 2-3 second gaps between video files. The camera records in pre set segments: 1min, 2min, or 5min (you choose)
I have mine set at 5min and there is a 2-3 second gap between the resulting MOV files. Some may find that an issue and I suppose it can be if you're unlucky.
The point to having gapless is so that you do not loose any video frames at any time, even a few seconds between writing the old file and creating the new one. Both cams will start recoding a few seconds after you start the car and will stop recording when the ignition is off.

Thanks guys. I looked into the law in Ontario regarding attaching devices to the windsheild. I believe it is allowed as long as it does not obstruct the drivers view, and with dash-cams this small, I don't think they would.

The screens on GPS devices may be viewed while driving, provided the device is mounted on the dashboard or secured to another place in the vehicle (for example, on a GPS windshield suction mount not blocking the driver's view, or in a GPS dashboard mount). Typically these units issue voice commands and drivers must input the required information before they start driving.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety ... ions.shtml

So overall, the DVR-207 is a good purchase then? I will be using it constantly from 6am to 4pm every day of the week. It won't burn out or anything right?

And does the ebay store give us a warranty for the dashcam?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I will buy it from that trusted ebay seller. From my research, the dvr-207gs is the newer model but the dvr-207 is more popular so I think I will just be going with that.

If anyone can answer this final question for me, if they have any experience with using them for a long time, thanks.

So overall, the DVR-207 is a good purchase then? I will be using it constantly from 6am to 4pm every day of the week. It won't burn out or anything right?

And does it come with a warranty?

Sam1969 said:
Thanks, I will buy it from that trusted ebay seller. From my research, the dvr-207gs is the newer model but the dvr-207 is more popular so I think I will just be going with that.

If anyone can answer this final question for me, if they have any experience with using them for a long time, thanks.

The 207gs has a much better screen, higher quality for the same price. If it was cheaper 207 might make sense, but since it's the same price go for the gs.

Estore009 compares the 207 vs 207gs if you scroll down and check out the long listing here:
http://r.ebay.com/UNtp0B

It says 1 year warranty in the listing. I would buy a 32GB class 10 SD card to make sure you have plenty of recording space. It will be looped and automatically record over the oldest files. It supports "parking mode" if you want it to work while the car is off as well. You can buy the Power Magic Pro that will cut the power once your battery reaches a certain voltage to prevent car battery drain. If you don't care about parking mode, then you can just have the camera automatically start recording when you start the car. (set it and forget it)

flank said:
You should probably check your laws too. Might have to put a notice saying its recording. At least thats the law in USA.

I haven't heard anything about that law. Can you provide more on this? Where did you learn about this?

Thanks.
Al

JazJon said:
Sam1969 said:

The 207gs has a much better screen, higher quality for the same price. If it was cheaper 207 might make sense, but since it's the same price go for the gs.

Estore009 compares the 207 vs 207gs if you scroll down and check out the long listing here:

It says 1 year warranty in the listing. I would buy a 32GB class 10 SD card to make sure you have plenty of recording space. It will be looped and automatically record over the oldest files. It supports "parking mode" if you want it to work while the car is off as well. You can buy the Power Magic Pro that will cut the power once your battery reaches a certain voltage to prevent car battery drain. If you don't care about parking mode, then you can just have the camera automatically start recording when you start the car. (set it and forget it)

You might not need the Power Magic Pro or any other battery protector if you have a good battery. I leave my dash cam on all the time and from Friday night until I start the car Monday morning and never use any protection. I don't think any small device will ever drain a car battery in less than many weeks at least. Save some money and do without until you hear about someone's battery actually being drained.

IMHO

Al.

Al Drake said:
flank said:

I haven't heard anything about that law. Can you provide more on this? Where did you learn about this?

Thanks.
Al

This is just for California.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm

(13) (A) A video event recorder with the capability of monitoring driver performance to improve driver safety, which may be mounted in a seven-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver, in a five-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest to the driver and outside of an airbag deployment zone, or in a five-inch square mounted to the center uppermost portion of the interior of the windshield. As used in this section, “video event recorder” means a video recorder that continuously records in a digital loop, recording audio, video, and G-force levels, but saves video only when triggered by an unusual motion or crash or when operated by the driver to monitor driver performance.

(B) A vehicle equipped with a video event recorder shall have a notice posted in a visible location which states that a passenger’s conversation may be recorded.

(C) Video event recorders shall store no more than 30 seconds before and after a triggering event.

(D) The registered owner or lessee of the vehicle may disable the device.

(E) The data recorded to the device is the property of the registered owner or lessee of the vehicle.

(F) When a person is driving for hire as an employee in a vehicle with a video event recorder, the person’s employer shall provide unedited copies of the recordings upon the request of the employee or the employee’s representative. These copies shall be provided free of charge to the employee and within five days of the request.

(14) (A) A video event recorder in a commercial motor vehicle with the capability of monitoring driver performance to improve driver safety, which may be mounted no more than two inches below the upper edge of the area swept by the windshield wipers, and outside the driver’s sight lines to the road and highway signs and signals. Subparagraphs (B) to (F), inclusive, of paragraph (13) apply to the exemption provided by this paragraph.

(B) Except as provided in subparagraph (C), subparagraph (A) shall become inoperative on the following dates, whichever date is later:

(i) The date that the Department of the California Highway Patrol determines is the expiration date of the exemption from the requirements of paragraph (1) of subdivision (e) of Section 393.60 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations, as renewed in the notice of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration on pages 21791 and 21792 of Volume 76 of the Federal Register (April 18, 2011).

(ii) The date that the Department of the California Highway Patrol determines is the expiration date for a subsequent renewal of an exemption specified in clause (i).

(C) Notwithstanding subparagraph (B), subparagraph (A) shall become operative on the date that the Department of the California Highway Patrol determines is the effective date of regulations revising paragraph (1) of subdivision (e) of Section 393.60 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations to allow the placement of a video event recorder at the top of the windshield on a commercial motor vehicle.

Al Drake said:
JazJon said:
Sam1969 said:

You might not need the Power Magic Pro or any other battery protector if you have a good battery. I leave my dash cam on all the time and from Friday night until I start the car Monday morning and never use any protection. I don't think any small device will ever drain a car battery in less than many weeks at least. Save some money and do without until you hear about someone's battery actually being drained.

IMHO

Al.
Just like Sex having protection is far better than not Then you wont ever come out to a flat battery.

Some vehicles wont start if the battery is much under 11 volts so far better to be sure than sorry.

IE a car radio can flatten one far enough overnight so that the car wont start.

So can an interior light left on.

What's suppose to be said here;

Buy the protection,

because I know you don't have a $400 USD car battery. Though, personally, I would love to have one of those super high density batteries, just can't give myself the excuse to pay that much...

DVR027, DVR207 and probably the new DVR207GS have been known to cause FM radio and GPS interference. From what I've been reading, it's a gamble if you'll have the same issues. If either FM or GPS are important to you, look for a different cam.

The 207 I got from estore009 is approaching 300 hours with only one battery pull needed. It is on from 9 to 16 hours a day constantly. It is not left in the truck, so I'm not sure if interior daytime temps would affect it.

since he's a taxi driver - aren't there special "taxicams", being special in recording inside of the car, too ?

Hillbilly said:
IE a car radio can flatten one far enough overnight so that the car wont start.

So can an interior light left on.
A car radio typically uses many times more power too, especially if your play it loud.
I wouldn't be so sure about interior light, although headlights might do that if your battery is at low level, since they're 55 W each, your typical dashcam is under 5 W.
Your typical small car battery is at least 480 Wh (40 Ah @ 12 V), meaning it could drive 480 W for an hour or 5 W for 96 hours.
If your car has a decent engine in it, it will surely be over 60 Ah, meaning at least 720 Wh of power at full storage.

Edit:
WhiteEightBall said:
What's suppose to be said here;

Buy the protection,

because I know you don't have a $400 USD car battery. Though, personally, I would love to have one of those super high density batteries, just can't give myself the excuse to pay that much...
And how much would such $400 USD car battery hold power?
For example, I bought the biggest capacity Varta battery available for my car for around 75-80 EUR and that's 63 Ah.

not sure if has been mentioned already but check legislation in your state in regards to audio recording, you may need to make sure that the camera you choose has the ability to disable recording of audio

Mikk36 said:
And how much would such $400 USD car battery hold power?
For example, I bought the biggest capacity Varta battery available for my car for around 75-80 EUR and that's 63 Ah.
Check out Odyssey Drycell Batteries. Been wanting to get a pair for years but I've never had the need.

javr said:
since he's a taxi driver - aren't there special "taxicams", being special in recording inside of the car, too ?

I was thinking the same thing, the Dual Camera DVR D7 might be better suited for a taxi.

Thread talking about it:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=859

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/The-Smal ... 85593.html
Product Description
Model: MD728 (HD 720P Car DVR With AV In & Out)
Features:
1. HD 720P Car DVR With Dual Camera
2. With AV-In & AV-Out port
3. Front & back camera record simultaneously
4.120 & 160 degree wide viewing angle for front & rear cam
5. H.264 video compression in order to store longer video
6. The mini car DVR
Specifications:
Color:Black
Photo: 2.0 Mega Pixels
Resolution
1280*720 pixels, 30fps (Front camera)
720*480 pixels, 30fps (Back camera)
Video Format:MOV
Codec: H.264
Photo Format:JPEG
Language:English, Russian, Chinese, Korean, Japanese etc
Storage:Micro SD card, From 2GB to 32GB (not included)
Viewing Angle:120 degree & 120 degree
Interface: AV In & Out
Video storage by section:2 mins/5 mins/10 mins/15 mins/off
Audio Recording:Yes
Date & Time Display: Yes
Dimension: 53*54*36mm (L*W*H)

Back