Hard wire question

Something like this:
Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket.jpg

The connect the Car Cigarette Lighter Socket to the fuses-box for some power you need: permanent or when engine is running.
You can find some info here.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't cut the cable of the camera but buying the same connector and making a new cable. The original camera cable will be kept as new until I will give the camera to somebody.

enjoy,
Mtz

Thank you guys!

One comment about this setup - Could this have some sort of electronics that will prevent the camera from either depleting the car battery (let's say I went for a vacation and forgot to disconnect the car camera) or in case and my car battery is low anyway, I wouldn't want to risk by depleting it.

So, that device you posted, can it be connected to this sort of electronics?

2nd question - If I use this: http://dx.com/p/diy-car-cigarette-light ... ealextreme
What the value of the fuse I need to use? Or do I need a fuse at all if I'm using the original car charger that came with the camera?

Thanks!

1. Read here. But if you are not interested in Parking Mode recording you just need to wire to some power which is ON only your engine is running. In this way your car battery will be never depleted.
2. You already have the fuse in the original cigarette lighter socket charger.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
1. Read here. But if you are not interested in Parking Mode recording you just need to wire to some power which is ON only your engine is running. In this way your car battery will be never depleted.
2. You already have the fuse in the original cigarette lighter socket charger.

enjoy,
Mtz

I'm interested in parking mode, that's why I want it hard wired but without depleting the car battery.
Can this help? http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0 ... ic&_sop=15
Although I'm using different camera?

Then why does it states: For DR500GW DR400G-HD 2 DR350 DR380-HD.
Isn't it because these cameras have different power specifications?

2nd question, I posted a message 2 days ago that I will soon replace my car dvr as soon as there will be full HD front and rear camera with good quality at dim lighting. So if I to purchase this Black Box Power Magic Pro, will that be usable then?

P.S. - If I buy this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KEMO-M148A-B ... 3a76b3d576
Then that means more messing around with the camera charger cables, isn't it?
So this one has a built in battery and the one above doesn't? :) Start to get confusing...

It's just an ebay listing, it's made by BlackVue so they are just trying to target the right customers etc. It will work with any 12-24v blackbox.

2. You can reuse it when you get a different blackbox. The one you linked is a single power one, so if your rear cam is powered by the front one, you'll be fine. If your purchasing 2 independent blackbox's, you'll need 2 upc or the pro plus version.

Not familiar with the battery guard, sorry.

Thanks for the help! :)

It's much clearer now.

What's the best dash cam or most common and liked dash cam in market nowadays?

Because I am looking for a FHD front and rear dash cam with good dim light image quality

Gil said:

2nd question, I posted a message 2 days ago that I will soon replace my car dvr as soon as there will be full HD front and rear camera with good quality at dim lighting. So if I to purchase this Black Box Power Magic Pro, will that be usable then?

P.S. - If I buy this:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KEMO-M148A-B ... 3a76b3d576
So this one has a built in battery and the one above doesn't? :) Start to get confusing...

Neither have a built in battery They only stop the battery going flat by having a preset cutout to turn it off at a set voltage. The power magic is adjustable as to what voltage and how many hours the parking mode will stay on for

You can use a Power magic with any camera PROVIDED YOU USE THAT CAMERAS CIGGY PLUG LIKE THIS ONE in REPLY 2

The reason being that most have a step down power supply to about 5 volts and if you hook the wires up to 12 volts you will stuff the camera I have 2 Blackvue cameras One front and one rear. My DR500 is actually running off the cable from the 400 I used to use as they all run off the same voltage and current draw.

I run the front one off a ciggy socket as shown earlier direct off a fuse I have the power magic wired to allow parking mode on the rear camera. No point in having it on the front camera as usually its the rear that would be sticking out in a park. The only difference Between the Power Magic and teh Pro is the Pro has a switch to turn Parking off if you dont want to use it sometimes.

I just wired a little switch in the line and saved some money LOL

Hillbilly said:
Gil said:

P.S. - If I buy this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KEMO-M148A-B ... 3a76b3d576

Neither have a built in battery They only stop the battery going flat by having a preset cutout to turn it off at a set voltage. The power magic is adjustable as to what voltage and how many hours the parking mode will stay on for

You can use a Power magic with any camera PROVIDED YOU USE THAT CAMERAS CIGGY PLUG LIKE THIS ONE in REPLY 2

The reason being that most have a step down power supply to about 5 volts and if you hook the wires up to 12 volts you will stuff the camera I have 2 Blackvue cameras One front and one rear. My DR500 is actually running off the cable from the 400 I used to use as they all run off the same voltage and current draw.

I run the front one off a ciggy socket as shown earlier direct off a fuse I have the power magic wired to allow parking mode on the rear camera. No point in having it on the front camera as usually its the rear that would be sticking out in a park. The only difference Between the Power Magic and teh Pro is the Pro has a switch to turn Parking off if you dont want to use it sometimes.

I just wired a little switch in the line and saved some money LOL

I like the last sentance! I wish I had thought of that before I ordered mine :)

So all cameras that require 5v must be used with a ciggy plug? Because the cigy plug converts 12v to 5v?

How are the blackvue cameras in quality and night quality?

[/quote]

I like the last sentance! I wish I had thought of that before I ordered mine :)

So all cameras that require 5v must be used with a ciggy plug? Because the cigy plug converts 12v to 5v?

YES Not all, you would have to look at the specs of each one Most would and the Blackvue ones do

How are the blackvue cameras in quality and night quality?[/quote]

Look through the threads on the" Blackvue" forum for quality That gets asked every day and all the answers are in this forum.

Gil said:
All cameras, that require 5 V must use an adapter, that outputs 5 V.
Be it in a form of a cigarette lighter plug or a seperate box that you have to wire yourself, doesn't really matter.

Back