How to aim dash cam?

Reaction score
Country
United States
What's the best way to aim your dash cam? In other words, what should we be capturing? Here's a snapshot of mine... A little bit of the dash and the rest outside. ITB-100HD SP with 12 Mbps mod. Lots of glare off the windshield!

Attachments

• itb.jpg
    itb.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 404
dashingthrusnow said:
What's the best way to aim your dash cam? In other words, what should we be capturing? Here's a snapshot of mine... A little bit of the dash and the rest outside. ITB-100HD SP with 12 Mbps mod. Lots of glare off the windshield!

According to Hyundai MnSoft R700 manual the best screen for front camera is to see a 1/4 of your car hood.

http://led-car.ru/downloads/softman/Sof ... nglish.pdf

Attachments

• Installation.jpg
    Installation.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 367
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Niko!

I guess on my Prius, the hood is so slanted down, that it's impossible to see a 1/4 of the hood!

dashingthrusnow said:
Thanks Niko!

I guess on my Prius, the hood is so slanted down, that it's impossible to see a 1/4 of the hood!

You are welcome. This is just a common rule, but of course for trucks, bus, vans, etc. it will not apply. My understanding and personal practice of angle aim is having 40% above day time horizon line ( sky meets the earth ) and 60% below horizon line. This way you will have better balance in Exposure value not to overexpose image. If aiming too much to the sky, then rest of much needed information on the road ( cars, numberplates, etc ) will be too dark. If aiming more to the road ( below horizon line ), then you will get better exposure value for dark places. Maybe I can not explain correct ( my bad english ), but hope you understand what I am trying to say.

Niko, mind if you could elaborate in words or a diagram for a noob like me? I would like to learn. Thanks again.

my English is also a abomination.

if Someone would do a Video Guide of how is best Way to Center Camera would be perfect

since i using camera i put it at corner when i using GPS and center middle when i going leave on streets the car way camera get a slight more hide , hard for gigantic camera :x , above mirror i try center the middle way get cars perfect its hard to tell in words to describe it , i doing it right ? :mrgreen:

i Demand a Laser Alignment like Contour HD :lol:
laser.png

alau0115 said:
Niko, mind if you could elaborate in words or a diagram for a noob like me? I would like to learn. Thanks again.

This would explain my words.

Horison Line.jpg

Last edited:
dashingthrusnow said:
Thanks Niko!

Of course if you have a sloped bonnet that wont work but the same angle would apply A Blackvue has a logo on one end and the instructions say to have it 10deg below horizontal at the front

Like this with a DR500WIfi

or even this with a RD400G

This in a Chrysler 300 in Arizona with the DR400G

Hillbilly said:
dashingthrusnow said:
Thanks Niko!

Of course if you have a sloped bonnet that wont work but the same angle would apply A Blackvue has a logo on one end and the instructions say to have it 10deg below horizontal at the front

Like this with a DR500WIfi

or even this with a RD400G

This in a Chrysler 300 in Arizona with the DR400G

Aiming on bonnet is from Mnsoft R700 manual.
I support aiming on horizon as i described with proportion of 40 / 60

Your first picture has about 40 / 60
Second is about 20 / 80
Third about 30 / 70

I like something between 40 / 60 and 30 / 70, but everyone has to test for themselves what proportion is best for them.

With the Honda Odyssey I drive it is not possible to see the bonnet. I don't like to waste my image on my dashboard so I adjust mine so the dash is just in frame. This is with a GS900 (VF960S).

Attachments

• PICT0120.MOV_snapshot_00.04_[2013.06.24_16.15.32].jpg
    PICT0120.MOV_snapshot_00.04_[2013.06.24_16.15.32].jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 315
Aiming the camera at a downward angle with less sky in the shot helps reduce lens flares when you turn into the sun. Getting the hood/bonnet/dashboard in the shot is just a guideline. You are attempting to record events that happen in traffic, not meteors in the sky. Make the angle not too sharp so you can see the color of the traffic lights as you enter an intersection. Depending on your country's laws, you may use it in court if needed.

niko said:
alau0115 said:

This would explain my words.
Thanks Niko. It helps. A picture is always better than a thousand words. :D

mariomart said:
With the Honda Odyssey I drive it is not possible to see the bonnet. I don't like to waste my image on my dashboard so I adjust mine so the dash is just in frame. This is with a GS900 (VF960S).

This picture is aimed 50 / 50. If this works for you its fine, but some time too much sky, especially wt sunny day can darken your below horizon line reading which are more important than sky. Try 40 / 60 or 30 / 70 proportion. Maybe you like it better.

Welcome

Sorry for my bad English but I use google translator. :(

So I got my camera has a GS 5000 and I've tried all sorts of positions, but I can not eliminate windshield glare.
If you have some tips for you, I'd appreciate it.

ufonauta said:
Welcome

Sorry for my bad English but I use google translator. :(

So I got my camera has a GS 5000 and I've tried all sorts of positions, but I can not eliminate windshield glare.
If you have some tips for you, I'd appreciate it.

You can buy 10usd CPL lens filter and do some DIY to attach it to the front lens housing.

Great advice on angling the dash cam. Most people have their dash cams angled too high getting too much sky. The 60% road / dash, 40% sky is a good rule of thumb.

I re-aimed my GS900 as per suggestions.

Here is my OLD setup.

Here is my NEW setup.

What do you think?

Cheers :) Mario

Attachments

• PICT0120.MOV_snapshot_00.04_[2013.06.24_16.15.32].jpg
    PICT0120.MOV_snapshot_00.04_[2013.06.24_16.15.32].jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 145
  • PICT0131.MOV_snapshot_02.39_[2013.06.25_13.16.01].jpg
    PICT0131.MOV_snapshot_02.39_[2013.06.25_13.16.01].jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 144
mariomart said:
I re-aimed my GS900 as per suggestions.

Here is my OLD setup.

Here is my NEW setup.

What do you think?

Your old set up was 50 / 50, new one is about 25 above horizon / 75 below, - it's much better than old set up. Of course you probably will not catch that much a meteorite :), but most important is to have much clear readings on the road ( white balance and exposure value ) which is much better if use proportion rule: more to the road and darker places, - less to the sky.

niko said:
Your old set up was 50 / 50, new one is about 25 above horizon / 75 below, - it's much better than old set up. Of course you probably will not catch that much a meteorite :), but most important is to have much clear readings on the road ( white balance and exposure value ) which is much better if use proportion rule: more to the road and darker places, - less to the sky.

Speaking of white balance and exposure value, I have them set to "Auto" which seems effective. However I would like to hear from others as to what is the best Metering Value. Spot, Average or Centre? Would love to hear from jokiin as well as others to get the best out of my camera.

Back