DVR-027 clone but which? Are there more infos about this cam

Jack_xD

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Dash Cam
G1W
Hi :D I bought a Carcam a while ago and now i would like to find some more informations about the camera. The Camera has cost 20€ what is ca. 27$ and i bought it from a eBay Shop called "Link-delight-fr".
Now i know its a clone of the DVR-027. But this clone is way different to the other clones you can see on eBay etc. Then i found out there is the same camera from the same factory only cheaper and without HDMI called "DVR-047" who gets shipped in a white box, exactly like mine. But its not really the same camera.
I took some pictures for you to see how the camera look like (If the site owner want, he can use them for his DVR-027 Page as example for a fake):
imageshack.us_a_img541_9702_dsci0700u.jpg

imageshack.us_a_img801_8246_dsci0702.jpg

imageshack.us_a_img407_700_dsci0703n.jpg

imageshack.us_a_img339_6178_dsci0705v.jpg

imageshack.us_a_img849_3153_dsci0706l.jpg

imageshack.us_a_img254_9592_dsci0707u.jpg

imageshack.us_a_img19_5093_dsci0708j.jpg

imageshack.us_a_img607_8044_dsci0710c.jpg

Better view on the guarantee sticker:
imageshack.us_a_img42_7581_stickerm.png

Manual (Seems like its from the original DVR-027 because of the HDMI in the manual)
imageshack.us_a_img442_6563_32173106.jpg

The Specs:
imageshack.us_a_img843_9524_zwischenablage02w.jpg

The camera has a really really good sound quality. Its clear and loud. No static sound while driving or something like that. But the speaker in the camera is not so good. The video quality is ok. Its not the best. You can see what you need to see, you see the licenseplate of the other car if youre near to it etc.
For a exacly unboxing video and test in a car, i did one of it at the day it arrived:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGRg3zvnIeA

Would be nice if someone has some more informations about this camera, and if someone want to know something, i can tell :)
Hope my english is not to bad. Greetings
-Alex

//Edit: Seems like the pictures are a bit to big :S They didnt fit really good in the page and parts are like cut off. If you want to view it right you need to open the picture in a new tab, sorry :X

Re: DVR-027 clone but which? Are there more infos about this

Thanks for sharing. There is no official name for this camera. It really is just the SD version of the DVR-027. Many different models like this on the market. As you mentioned video quality is the main drawback.

Oh ok :shock: Its a clone but i still like it :) And i want to share some informations with you. This is the mediainfo about a recordet file:

General
Complete name : Z:\Alex\Videos\PICT0005.AVI
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 342 MiB
Duration : 7mn 22s
Overall bit rate : 6 487 Kbps

Video
ID : 0
Format : JPEG
Codec ID : MJPG
Bit rate : 11.2 Mbps
Width : 1 281 pixels
Original width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 960 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate : 29.690 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.306
Stream size : 589 MiB

Audio
ID : 1
Format : PCM
Format settings, Sign : Unsigned
Codec ID : 1
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 192 Kbps
Channel(s) : 1 channel
Sampling rate : 24.0 KHz
Bit depth : 8 bits
Stream size : 10.1 MiB (3%)
Interleave, duration : 256 ms (7.59 video frames)

Maybe something interessting, or maybe its a good quality clone, i dont know :D

Greetings

I'm sorry to say it's just the bog standard standard definition version as Dash Cam Man said... Low resolution 640x480 sensor with MJPEG compression and green time and date. There's no point in picking any resolution higher than 640x480 in the settings as all it does is upscale 640x480, so save yourself a lot of card space by turning it down! Perfectly usable as a dash cam, so if you're happy with it then keep it, but it's nothing as good as the "real" one.

Hm my knock off came in the same style box, but looks a little different.

It looks like yours uses a power plug like a real DVR-027? mine has an A/V out there
i49.tinypic.com_2lbjcyu.jpg

Also no quality sticker of course

i46.tinypic.com_eiwgw1.jpg

It is kind of neat that what looks like your A/V out is at least where the HDMI is on the real one. mine just has the shape of an HDMI port in the plastic.
Also mine charges through a USB to cigarette.
i45.tinypic.com_2rx75so.jpg

and lastly your buttons look painted. Mine glows blue when recording and is clear when not. (A real DVR-027 flashes blue)
i47.tinypic.com_1qg7jp.jpg

Also guessing your battery door is not removable?
Watched your unboxing video and seen you were holding the battery. My battery door is not removeable

rjgscotland said:
There's no point in picking any resolution higher than 640x480 in the settings as all it does is upscale 640x480, so save yourself a lot of card space by turning it down!
Oh ok, so there is no difference in the quality between SXGA and VGA when the video is in fullscreen on the computer?

CheckYourLights said:
It looks like yours uses a power plug like a real DVR-027? mine has an A/V out there
i49.tinypic.com_2lbjcyu.jpg
Jup mine uses a power plug like the real one :)

CheckYourLights said:
and lastly your buttons look painted. Mine glows blue when recording and is clear when not. (A real DVR-027 flashes blue)
i47.tinypic.com_1qg7jp.jpg
Jea they really look painted, but thats because of the flash. They are glowing too. The record button glows blue the whole time when the camera is on. And the power button trys to glow red when charging. But they did something wrong in the inside. The LED isnt directly under the power button so its hard to see the red led glowing :|
CheckYourLights said:
Also guessing your battery door is not removable?
Watched your unboxing video and seen you were holding the battery. My battery door is not removeable
Jup the battery is removeable but its not the best. The battery is ok for holding the settings of the time or 10 minutes recording without external power but i think not longer. Didnt tested it really good out but i can see the battery life on the display. So contacted the seller of the cam and now i get another battery4free :D

Greetings :D

Jack_xD said:
rjgscotland said:
There's no point in picking any resolution higher than 640x480 in the settings as all it does is upscale 640x480, so save yourself a lot of card space by turning it down!
Oh ok, so there is no difference in the quality between SXGA and VGA when the video is in fullscreen on the computer?

I believe it will just just zoom in by itself and when viewed full screen on a computer will take up the whole screen instead of having room on both sides if set to a higher resolution in the menus. I never turned mine up but people on YouTube with these SD models have noted that happening.

Witch reminds me because my knock off has an EV setting in the menu pressing up and down on the keys before recording will zoom the video in and out. I don't think a real DVR-027 can do this. Up and down before or while recording set the EV levels

Jack_xD said:
Jup the battery is removeable but its not the best. The battery is ok for holding the settings of the time or 10 minutes recording without external power but i think not longer. Didnt tested it really good out but i can see the battery life on the display. So contacted the seller of the cam and now i get another battery4free :D

Was kind of funny. I have not really messed with mine much since i bought a real DVR-027. a little bit before Christmas because i had my real one in my car for a Christmas drive so it has been on my desk for at least a month and after i took pictures to post i turned it on and it stayed on for about 5 minutes before dying when it is about to the screen reads Battery Low and (surprisingly) the blue light flashes quickly.

Hi. So i did now a graphic comparison between SXGA and VGA. But it seems like the VGA resolution is a bit more pixelated than the SXGA:

VGA
SXGA

VGA is a bit sharper but pixelated
But SXGA isnt pixelated but a bit washed-out

What should i use :|

Jack_xD said:
Hi. So i did now a graphic comparison between SXGA and VGA. But it seems like the VGA resolution is a bit more pixelated than the SXGA:

VGA
SXGA

I sat here longer then i would care to admit and looked at your screen shots Ha. SXGA looks a little better to me because it is not pixelated also how come your time stamp is upside-down? took the picture upside-down and then rotated it so the bottle was right side up?

Australian.....

The reason it looks more "pixelated" in VGA is because of the way the video compression works. The video frames are divided into something called macroblocks. These macroblocks are a fixed size, so when you select SXGA and then scale the video down to a smaller size to fit a screen or media player window, the macroblocks are shrunk down. In VGA there are less macroblocks to the image frame and so they're more clearly defined.

What you're gaining in macroblock smoothing you're losing out in sharpness and wastage though. I'd still recommend using VGA because it's the native resolution of the camera and all you're doing is eating up lots of card space for no resolution gain in SXGA. You could apply post-processing to the VGA videos to smooth out the macroblocks, but I think you'll find in real-world use, it's not going to matter and you'll benefit with being able to fit more on the card.

CheckYourLights said:
I sat here longer then i would care to admit and looked at your screen shots Ha. SXGA looks a little better to me because it is not pixelated also how come your time stamp is upside-down? took the picture upside-down and then rotated it so the bottle was right side up?
Jea i think SXGA looks better, i think i keep it. And jea the Time stamp is on the upside because i flipped the pictures :D I took the video while the camera was lying upside-down, so i could better chance the settings without change the place of the camera to get a nearly similar picture :D In the normal camera mode the timestamp is on the downside :D

Marcus said:
Australian.....
Haha :mrgreen: Not exactly, Germany :p

@rjgscotland Ahh ok. I think i try it out on the road and look what i prefer :) Maybe i upload a comparison video. Monday i finnaly get my driving license in my hands :D I think i will do it then

Jack_xD said:

VGA
SXGA

I would take some shots outside in the environment where the cam is meant to be used and then compare, they're never intended to have any kind of detail at such close range as the focal length is much deeper than that, have a look at the pictures and see how much of each image you can see clearly

here's a shot from my cam, you can see as you look further up the road the focal length is different and you start to lose detail http://www.jokiin.com/images/car_dvr_screenshot.jpg obviously that's the direction you're heading anyway but I guess it's the field of view that is clearly shown at any given time that is the important thing

Last edited by a moderator:

Wow nice camera shot o.o

Jea i will try it out on monday what looks better :)

Ok, it seems like it will still take a while to get my driving license. But i recognized something. After comparing the two videos with the different resolution i watched them again. And i saw the VGA resolution has more frames than the SXGA resolution. The media info says they have the same frame rate but after comparing, the VGA have a definitely better frame rate.

I will take a comparing video after i finnaly get my driving license >_< I passed but they still not created the card xD

That'll be because the camera's processor is too slow to keep up with resizing VGA up to SXGA. I really would just stick with VGA as otherwise you're just trying to polish a turd!

Finnaly today i was going to get my drivers license and i recordet the way in the city and out the city back home. But something strange happend. I recognized a problem with my mum's car. The 12v socket was everytime compleatly powerd on, in some way.

After we arrived at the District Office and she turned of the car, the camera turned off too (but without the "goodbye logo"). I saw the lighter plug LED was still on, so i unplugged it. After comming back to the car, the camera was like dead. She didnt reacted by pressing on or un- or plugging the power connector. After a while it worked again. At home i recognized that the compleatly video footage to the District Office was deleted. Only the way back was there.

I will upload a comparison video of the upscaled and the original resolution tomorrow maybe.

Greetings

Jup i got my license :D

Hi. I bought just4fun a AV Cable for the Camera on eBay for 1,20$. After plugging it in and changing the settings on the TV, nothing happend except that the internal speaker broke :x :| I dont know why and how but he broke. Didnt make any noises anymore. I try'd to change the settings but its already on, i put the battery out and back in, i restored the compleate camera (And had to find the way back through the chinese menu in the language settings :D)

Hm, jea. Didnt really worked out as planed xD Did i do something wrong? D: xD

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
unpaidbill DVR-XX7 1
Back