Polarizing Filter on Dashcams

p_dashcam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all - Do polarizing filters exist for dashcams? Really hate the horrible reflections found on the windscreen from the dashboard, and this deteriorates the quality of the recordings i find. Any thoughts or answers?

There are some interesting talks here: Polarizing Lens for F900LHD (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=46&p=317&hilit=polarizer#p317)

I've currently ripped one lens from cheap 3D movie glasses but not prepared a true barrel to be placed in front of my dashcam yet.
Anyway a manual try did give me a noticeable reduction of glares during the sunny days.

Not sure about overall quality improvements, though. Especially on a cheap 640x480 dashcam like mine.

Cheers,
Fez

Last edited by a moderator:
It is possible to cut a small piece of polarized plastic from an old pair of sunglasses and blu-tack or hot-glue it onto the DVR. I would like to experiment on this. I am thinking of using my yellow polarized lens for maximum light transmission. What do you guys think?

I used lenses from disposable 3D glasses from movie theater.

MozartMan said:

The lens color will be blue or red? That won't work. There will be misrepresentation of the actual colors in the recorded video.

Mitch said:
MozartMan said:

The lens color will be blue or red? That won't work. There will be misrepresentation of the actual colors in the recorded video.
No. Both lenses in the glasses are grey. This is from RealD3D movie theater.

F900LHD%20Polarizing%20Filter%20b.JPG

Do you think using gray or tinted glasses will make it too dark for night recording? Kind of like wearing sun glasses at night.

MozartMan said:
Mitch said:
MozartMan said:

No. Both lenses in the glasses are grey. This is from RealD3D movie theater.

Interesting. Any before and after vids to share?

Nik said:
Nik,

Here is the link that you can download sample video: http://home.comcast.net/~mozartguy/cpl.zip (EDIT)
Original video is in MOV container. I just trimmed it for file size and converted to MP4 container without any re-encoding, so it is in original quality from my DOD F900LHD.
The ring is the rubber ring from sprinkle hose. Plastic lens is from RealD3D free disposable glasses.
Important note is that you need to rotate the filter to find correct orientation so polarization works.

When filter is off you can clearly see reflection from sub woofer grill cover on the windshield.

MozartMan said:
Nik said:
Nik,

Here is the link that you can download sample video: http://home.comcast.net/~mozartguy/cpl.mp4
Original video is in MOV container. I just trimmed it for file size and converted to MP4 container without any re-encoding, so it is in original quality from my DOD F900LHD.
The ring is the rubber ring from sprinkle hose. Plastic lens is from RealD3D free disposable glasses.
Important note is that you need to rotate the filter to find correct orientation so polarization works.

When filter is off you can clearly see reflection from sub woofer grill cover on the windshield.

Incredible! That is an awesome mod. Have you tried it for night capturing? Do show the before and after as well.

Now where can I get these in Singapore... Hmm.

Nik said:
Have you tried it for night capturing?
I think for night video it will not make any difference. I may be wrong though.

Nik said:
Don't you have 3D movie theaters with free disposable 3D glasses in Singapore?

MozartMan said:
jokiin,

No, link is not dead. May be you country blocking Comcast USA addresses, or may be China and/or Australia blocking Comcast USA websites.
Try zip file: http://home.comcast.net/~mozartguy/cpl.zip

page resolved but blank??? I'm in Australia right now so can't think of any block issue, new one works though, downloading now, thanks

jokiin said:
page resolved but blank??? I'm in Australia right now so can't think of any block issue, new one works though, downloading now, thanks
I got it. It is your browser issue.
When I click on MP4 link both IE10 and Palemoon (optimized Firefox) browsers open blank page and then immediately opens pop-up dialog box asking me to Open or Save that MP4 file.

that's an interesting experiment, I'm guessing it's not so good at night but perhaps the night results could be offset a little by playing with exposure values, if it could be then it may be possible to code a night mode specifically to suit to get a better all round result

thanks for sharing, working on some new projects at the moment and this is good food for thought

MozartMan said:
Nik said:

Nik said:

For night video, it might reduce glare from street lamps and headlights, but I am afraid it might be too dark.
We do have 3D glasses, but usually we just return them.

I found some filters for GoPro cameras, but they are expensive. I'll just purchase some cheap polarized 3d glasses to experiment. :D

taking this a step further I wonder how it would go with a transitions polarized lens http://newsfromaoa.org/2012/03/22/trans ... arization/ where the amount of polarization varies depending on the amount of light, this technology is used in glasses to allow them to be used night or day and have the lenses lighten or darken accordingly

Nik said:
MozartMan said:
Nik said:

Nik said:

For night video, it might reduce glare from street lamps and headlights, but I am afraid it might be too dark.
We do have 3D glasses, but usually we just return them.

I found some filters for GoPro cameras, but they are expensive. I'll just purchase some cheap polarized 3d glasses to experiment. :D

I just ordered the LUKAS LK-7900 ACE that comes with a CPL so I can let you know. It's supposed to be delivered by the 26th to the 29th. Very quick compared to the ITB 100-HD SP and it might even beat the DVR 207 that I order quite some time ago. I would like to do something about the reflections I am getting at the bottom from the top of my dash board and my hood. I can even see the screen of my RD which I can't understand as it's image is mirrored and protrudes further than the DC.

I can even see the stereo which should also be out of sight. You can barely see it at the top of this capture but it is below everything just above the ash tray.

Strange..........

Attachments

• reflection.jpg
    reflection.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 204
Al Drake said:
I just ordered the LUKAS LK-7900 ACE that comes with a CPL so I can let you know. It's supposed to be delivered by the 26th to the 29th. Very quick compared to the ITB 100-HD SP and it might even beat the DVR 207 that I order quite some time ago. I would like to do something about the reflections I am getting at the bottom from the top of my dash board and my hood. I can even see the screen of my RD which I can't understand as it's image is mirrored and protrudes further than the DC.

I can even see the stereo which should also be out of sight. You can barely see it at the top of this capture but it is below everything just above the ash tray.

Strange..........

Cool, wow the Lukas is a very expensive cam.

But dude, you need to stop writing with abbreviations. :lol:
I'm guessing CPL means Camera Polarized Lens. RD is radio and DC is Dashcam?

As for the mirrored image, it's normal because It's a reflection. ;)

Back