DOD LS300W DVR

This looks like it could be really good esp. for the price of $100 for the Tiotech version.

I wish it had GPS.

I order LS430 without WDR but with GPS and nice LCD. I try to write short review when I get it.

Night video quality will not be the same on LS430. It has aperture F2.0. and no WDR. LS300W or Tiotech GT300W has aperture F1.6 + WDR.
Best way is to wait for DOD LS430W which will have all the best from ls300w and ls430.

hey guys, I was just browsing thru this thread and remembered a message I got a while ago from a Chinese retailer, comparing some of his new upcoming models with the LS300W. Here is a snapshot from a pdf he sent me:
Capture.png

Does anyone have any of these models? Are they any good?

niko said:
Night video quality will not be the same on LS430. It has aperture F2.0. and no WDR. LS300W or Tiotech GT300W has aperture F1.6 + WDR.
Best way is to wait for DOD LS430W which will have all the best from ls300w and ls430.
I'm perfectly aware of that, but I wat to try it.
I'm waitin for cams on A7 with WDR, GPS and 60 or 120 frames in Full HD :D

niko said:
The LS300W is one dashcam I've been considering, but I wanted GPS as well. The LS430W looks like the one I should wait for. Do you happen to know when it will come out?

Based on the LS430, there are some interesting differences between it and the LS300W. The LS430 is slightly smaller, especially in height, which will help hide it behind the mirror. There are vents on the bottom of the front cover, which might help with heat dissipation. There are no silver buttons on the back of the LS430 either. I wish they'd just make these cams all black. There's a HUD speed display, but I'm not sure how this works because I can't see what projects the speed display on the front. It also mentions a speed limit alert, but does this mean it has an internal set of maps and a speed limit database all built-in? Also, not sure how the "driver fatigue warning" works either.

Too bad they don't have electrical contacts on the quick disconnect and it doesn't have a button to mark interesting video clips.

Good to know! The LS430W sounds very promising if it's smaller with the same outstanding day/night video AND has GPS. I think I'll wait longer to buy the perfect dashcam then.

LS430W doesn't exist. This is only out wishlist ;)
But in future probably we see something like that.

adamus said:
LS430W doesn't exist. This is only out wishlist ;)
But in future probably we see something like that.

oh........ :cry:

Ok, well then maybe I'll still get the BlackVue DR500GW with custom firmware that increases bitrate and enables AEC (auto exposure correction) Apparently there is a special sensor not even being utilized by Pittasoft!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=669&start=280#p13822

Check it out:

I can always sell it and upgrade to the future DOD if it's worth the switch. I really like the WiFi smartphone functionality and has GPS. The round cylindrical shape is always less noticeable once you paint pen over the silver pieces.

But yeah I'll keep monitoring DOD updates for 2013

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if DashCamTalk will be giving the DOD series it's own forum section soon. It seems like it has the potential to be popular based on the videos. (not sure on reliability yet)
I'm looking forward to an advanced break down review especially if/when a WDR GPS version is out. It's kind of complicated with the verity of model numbers and multiple manufacturers though.

I thought maybe the LS430W was in development. From posts on this site, it seems like many new dashcams will be introduced in the next few months and the quality standard should be all going up. The trend is definitely towards WDR and better night video quality.

My top two candidates so far is the LS300W and the "Smallest Ambarella Car DVR" viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1001

LS300W
Pros:
- Good night and day video quality
- Relatively small, decent form factor
- Low cost if you buy the non-branded OEM version (~$120 USD)
- Made by DOD/TioTech, which should be somewhat reliable
- Larger aperture f/1.6
- High bitrate: 15 Mb/s

Cons:
- No GPS or Wifi option
- Could be smaller
- Quick disconnect has no electrical contacts

Smallest Ambarella Car DVR
Pros:
- Good day video quality
- Relatively small
- Low cost OEM version of the Russion ProCam CX4 (~$100 USD)
- Includes GPS
- Quick disconnect has electrical contacts

Cons:
- Early reports were mixed. Some users had problems with it not operating properly and/or the GPS didn't work
- Average night video quality, but sensor is being upgraded and will ship in a few weeks
- Not sure how reliable it is over time and in extreme heat
- Medium bitrate: 10 Mb/s

I'm tempted to keep waiting to see what cams are released over the summer but then I think about just buying the LS300W now and later I can use it for a rear cam if better cams come along.

glider said:
I thought maybe the LS430W was in development. From posts on this site, it seems like many new dashcams will be introduced in the next few months and the quality standard should be all going up. The trend is definitely towards WDR and better night video quality.

My top two candidates so far is the LS300W and the "Smallest Ambarella Car DVR" viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1001

LS300W
Pros:
- Good night and day video quality
- Relatively small, decent form factor
- Low cost if you buy the non-branded OEM version (~$120 USD)
- Made by DOD/TioTech, which should be somewhat reliable
- Larger aperture f/1.6
- High bitrate: 15 Mb/s

Cons:
- No GPS or Wifi option
- Could be smaller
- Quick disconnect has no electrical contacts

Smallest Ambarella Car DVR
Pros:
- Good day video quality
- Relatively small
- Low cost OEM version of the Russion ProCam CX4 (~$100 USD)
- Includes GPS
- Quick disconnect has electrical contacts

Cons:
- Early reports were mixed. Some users had problems with it not operating properly and/or the GPS didn't work
- Average night video quality, but sensor is being upgraded and will ship in a few weeks
- Not sure how reliable it is over time and in extreme heat
- Medium bitrate: 10 Mb/s

I'm tempted to keep waiting to see what cams are released over the summer but then I think about just buying the LS300W now and later I can use it for a rear cam if better cams come along.

Excellent, you just convinced me to wait a bit longer for the perfect DashCam. (never heard of the umbrella thanks) I just can't bring myself to pay $300 for the BlackVue when excellent solutions are on the way for less than half that. WiFi would be nice for instant iPhone access/uploads but it's a boarderline "must have" feature.

There appears to be more info on this camera on Russian sites.

Based on this site, the LS300W Plus camera uses a Tiotech A8S711KL processor (whatever that is :? ) and an Omnivision CMOS sensor.

LS300W%20Tiotech%20A8S711KL.jpg

LS300W%20%20Omnivision.jpg

Here are some pictures from a Russian who disassembled the cam.

LS300W%20%20Disassembled%201.jpg

LS300W%20%20Disassembled%202.jpg

LS300W%20%20Disassembled%203.jpg

LS300W%20%20Disassembled%204.jpg

LS300W%20%20Disassembled%205.jpg

LS300W%20%20Disassembled%206.jpg

LS300W%20%20Disassembled%207.jpg

Also the firmware versions are as follows:

LS300WPLUS 2013051000
LS300W201304251

Unlike before, the DOD website now has firmware available for download.

I know the processor information is incorrect, not sure about the CMOS sensor but that may be questionable also

I had this info 2 month ago regarding processor and cmos, but forgot to mention it here. Sorry, getting old :)

Original source I found here:

http://nazya.com/single/11219789/orig_desc.html

then I found it here as well:

http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a2 ... 3557168360

As you can see there they have DOD LS300W PLUS. I was trying to find out what does this "PLUS" means, but still no info.

It appears to be 3 names to it:

LS300W,

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a23 ... 2128164185

LS300W PLUS

http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a2 ... 3557168360

and LS388W ( for local market )

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a23 ... 0106895414

Regarding CPU and CMOS I got this info 2 month ago:

- LS300W/GT300W are based on A8 technology which is advanced in video-processing and has been released this month ( March 2013 )
- LS300W/400W is built-in A8 micro chip.
- A8 is solution updated from LXP2000 (1280*960) which was designed by a Japan company in 2008. Engineers enhanced its performance of video and CPU frequency. Now it’s got 1080P..."
- The CMOS(LS series/GT series) is 1/3 inch. Brand is Micron. 8.0 Mega Pixels ... "
- Aptina is one of department of Micron

Hope this info will be helpful.

Google Chrome automatically translates Chinese to English. The "Plus" says: "Whether to support GPS: No" (bummer) :(
I guess the plus still isn't GPS.

Analysing properties of the picture I took few day ago:

As you can see from camera / tilte , - it says NOVATEK CAMERA.
Camera model: 96460

Could it be Novatek NT96460 ? ... :?

Attachments

• Photo Properties.jpg
    Photo Properties.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 1,670
If closer analysing main picture of the LS300W which is on the box, I can see there is a one open socket says "GPS" (next to the AV out socket ), but in real this socket is blocked, so I assume they are planning to add using external GPS modul in future on other model. That means that there will be no internal GPS module on this series.

If look into LS400 series design, then you might recognize bracket holder part is similar to DOD GS600 ( I had it 2 years ago ) and that part holding a GPS antenna inside. So I assume LS400 series will have built in GPS module soon. Let's wait and see.

niko said:
Analysing properties of the picture I took few day ago:

As you can see from camera / tilte , - it says NOVATEK CAMERA.
Camera model: 96460

Could it be Novatek NT96460 ? ... :?

Chipset is Novatek, they just silk screened their logo and a model number, guess they haven't worked out how to fake the properties reported by the chipset yet, deceptive and questionable marketing anyway, they're not the only ones doing this at the moment though

Back