My rear dashcam [video]

Milamber

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
A129 Pro Duo
Well I'm very impressed with the quality, YouTube has unfortunately reduced this. This dashcam is Jokiin cam with custom firmware, the camera also has a really nice menu system, regular firmware updates, nice selection of mounts at a very reasonable price.

RAW File here

Last edited by a moderator:
YouTube makes a mess of things unfortunately, one of the reasons I don't put anything up there

jokiin said:
YouTube makes a mess of things unfortunately, one of the reasons I don't put anything up there

Sure does, here is the RAW file. 110mb here

In 1080p, I can't tell the difference personally lol. Good quality cam though. ;)

jamesbcd said:
In 1080p, I can't tell the difference personally

The difference between what?

24" 1920*1080 res here. it's not THAT bad as everyone makes out. for convenience, it's not that bad a alternative..
obviously the downloaded samples are 100% untouched though.

Very nice!
What is the camera name?

The worse the source is, the bigger the mess it makes.
Unfortunately there's quite a bit of grainyness in the source video, so this hinders the end result somewhat, but overall it's quite ok, although recording something in this amount of sunlight shouldn't be a real challenge for most of the cameras.
Here are two snaps of the same frame, one from Youtube, one from source.
You can decide yourself, which is which.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/542 ... 23s134.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/542 ... 0m11s6.png

I understand the reasons for the grainyness, but this only proves jokiim right that it's not a good idea to compare the quality of the recordings based on Youtube. It only serves as a general indication of how a camera can cope with different lighting scenarios.
The best thing he can do is keep the bitrate up to be able to deliver good quality with that amount of grainyness, which he does already.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hungry Jacks looks an awful lot like a Burger King!

Milamber, how about uploading a RAW front camera night video, low to no ambient light please.

Horsepow3r said:
Hungry Jacks looks an awful lot like a Burger King!

can't remember if we still do but we had both Hungry Jacks and Burger King as there was a legal dispute over ownership of the franchise rights to Burger King

Horsepow3r said:
H

Milamber, how about uploading a RAW front camera night video, low to no ambient light please.

Hi there, I don't have the time or desire to remove the dashcam and relocate it to the front of my vehicle with the lighting requirements noted I'm afraid, both of my dashcams are fixed and I don't intend on relocating them.

Perhaps someone that uses this camera for front facing usage can help you.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Milamber said:
Horsepow3r said:
H

Hi there, I don't have the time or desire to remove the dashcam and relocate it to the front of my vehicle with the lighting requirements noted I'm afraid, both of my dashcams are fixed and I don't intend on relocating them.

I can tell you now in low or no ambient light it won't see more than what you can see with your own eyes, it doesn't see in the dark

as a general rule the cams that have great night results are less impressive during the day and vise versa, as it stands ours doesn't see in the dark but what you do see is clearer than many do (I'll link to a side by side night time comparison with a Blackvue cam that a customer supplied that demonstrates what I mean, just need to get the images uploaded), I've looked at changing to a different sensor which does a bit better at night but the day time results are much lower, too much of a trade off, I'm still looking at some software options to lighten things up for night use but setting that up as a scheduled option so that it doesn't mess with the day results, that's perhaps a few firmware versions away at this stage though, bigger fish to fry right now

We'll have much more flexibility once our A7L-A model is done as there is a much wider range of supported CMOS sensors than for A2 that we can work with, lots of good things happening this year

Milamber said:
Horsepow3r said:
H

Sorry about that. At the time I posted, I did not know it was a stand-alone camera. I thought it was an all-in-one 2 camera setup, both front and rear cameras.

jokiin said:
Milamber said:
Horsepow3r said:
H

I can tell you now in low or no ambient light it won't see more than what you can see with your own eyes, it doesn't see in the dark

If I could find a camera that could see as well in the dark as my own eyes, I would be interested. I'm looking for something that shows the road and surrounding area (with vehicle headlights on) better that what my DVR 207 shows. It's pretty bad with no street lights. I travel many miles overnight in rural areas. The 207 barely picks up what is directly in front of the truck in those areas. It's ok in an urban environment.

Horsepow3r said:
If I could find a camera that could see as well in the dark as my own eyes, I would be interested. I'm looking for something that shows the road and surrounding area (with vehicle headlights on) better that what my DVR 207 shows. It's pretty bad with no street lights. I travel many miles overnight in rural areas. The 207 barely picks up what is directly in front of the truck in those areas. It's ok in an urban environment.

Head over to the VicoVation section and check my latest review - it has a night video - see what you think.

Mikk36 said:
The worse the source is, the bigger the mess it makes.
The original video is 110MB and the bitrate is 15mbps
The YouTube video is 45MB and the bitrate is 6mbps
The PC encoded video is 45MB and the bitrate is 6mbps, used the X264 encoder.
Which is better, my encode or youtube encode? :shock:

For a reencode with such difference in size and bitrate we can't blame youtube. You can try to record with your preferred software and codec for the same 6mpbs and see if the resulted video is better than youtube.
But as you wrote, the better the source, the better the reencode. Some people which are reencoding Blu-Rays which are the same 1080p resolution but images with much more information (quality) are using more than 8mbps as video bitrate.

Gallery

For people which want to show the original video the better is to use Vimeo instead of YouTube and the sellers should use that for their videos.

enjoy,
Mtz

Attachments

• MOV_0054_ORIGINAL.MOV_snapshot_00.25_[2013.04.22_16.31.24].jpg
    MOV_0054_ORIGINAL.MOV_snapshot_00.25_[2013.04.22_16.31.24].jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 96
  • MOV_0054_YouTube_ENCODE_6mbps.mp4_snapshot_00.25_[2013.04.22_16.31.52].jpg
    MOV_0054_YouTube_ENCODE_6mbps.mp4_snapshot_00.25_[2013.04.22_16.31.52].jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 96
  • MOV_0054_PC_ENCODE_6mbps.avi_snapshot_00.25_[2013.04.22_16.32.16].jpg
    MOV_0054_PC_ENCODE_6mbps.avi_snapshot_00.25_[2013.04.22_16.32.16].jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 96