The HD 720P Dual Lens Model camera has recently gained popularity. This dual lens DVR can record 720p at 30fps for the front camera and 480p for the rear camera. The daytime video quality from the front camera is good and the rear camera is slightly below average. Night quality is below average for the front camera and poor for the rear camera.
The rear camera is mounted separately on the rear window rather than being part of the main unit. This setup has better rear picture quality than the all-in-one dual cameras since it only records what is happening outside the car rather than inside the car.
Most of the these dash cams are using the Allwinner F20 processor as pictured below.
There are a few models with the SQ909B-L processor as pictured below.
Like most Chinese cameras, there are many manufacturers with different specs. Some of the differences are as follows:
- Low end models record in AVI format, high end in MOV format. Avoid cameras with the AVI format
- Some models use a suction cup, others use 3M tape, some models come with both (3M tape is preferred)
- Most cameras have the date / time on top left in hollow white letters (F20 processor). Some cameras have date / time in black letters on white background on the top / middle (likely a Zoran processor),
- Some have a rear camera with no LEDs, others have LEDs
- Lower end models do not have a remote, higher end models have remote
HD 720P Dual Lens Models
This camera, like many Chinese cameras, has a number of different names:
- HD 720P Dual Lens Dashboard Car vehicle Camera Video Recorder DVR CAM G-sensor (Most popular, sold on ebay with this name)
- F70 (A popular model name)
- i1000 (Another popular brand name, many manufacturers)
- X6 (Quite popular brand name but also the name of another dual lens camera)
- NEI DVR232 (Not popular brand name, one manufacturer makes this)
- Recordeye DC770 (this is only available in Russia)
- B6 on Aliexpress (likely a “fake” version given the low price and AVI recording)
- Flytec FT-101 (Primarily sold in Taiwan)
- Crossover GoShot C1000 (Primarily sold in Korea)
The DM300 (sometimes referred to as the K7000) is a similar camera that claims to have 1080p recording. The DM300 apparently runs on the popular Ambarella A2S60 processor. The camera typically sells for over $100 and has an HDMI port. Note that some of the DM300′s come with a low quality Novatek processor. Unfortunately it appears that the DM300 is a single lens camera, not a dual lens camera. It has a AV-Out not an AV-In port. See this eBay listing for the most popular DM300 sold to date and notice it is only a single lens camera. Some ads show the DM300 as a dual lens camera but these ads appear to be misleading.
versus the i1000 / F70 AV Out port
We have not been able to verify the quality of the DM300 and there is very little information available on this camera to date.
There is another version of this camera that comes with a larger 2.7″ LCD screen instead of the 2″ LCD screen. As can be seen in the picture, the i1000L is larger than the i1000/F70 model.
welldonetech on eBay is currently selling this version of the camera.
Since this is a relatively new camera, there have not been many reliability problems noted yet.
Some users have noted that this camera gets very warm / hot. There have been no reports of problems related to this yet though.
Rear Camera records mirror image
Some users indicate that the rear video is a mirror image. There apparently is no way to flip the image in the dash cam.
Some complaints of rattling buttons in this dash cam. This may be an isolated incident.
There is a report that the G-Sensor setting does not work. When a G-sensor option is selected (low, med, or high) the dash cam switches off. When the dash cam is turned on, the setting is back to OFF. This may be an isolated incident.
Mounting the camera
Day Front Camera
Day Rear Camera
Night Front Camera
Night Rear Camera
Should I Purchase?
While the picture quality is not the greatest, this camera performs adequately for a dual lens camera particularly in the day. Poor night quality is the biggest drawback. The size of the camera is small and the price is very attractive. If you are looking for a dual lens camera and can live with the picture quality, this dash cam may be for you. See our complete comparison on the dash cam comparison page.
Where to purchase for lowest price
The HD 720P Dual Lens Model DVR typically sells for approximately $60. eBay and Aliexpress are popular places to purchase from.
futuretrend on eBay has sold over 500 of the HD720P Dual Lens DVR
sweetlife999 on eBay has sold over 325 of the HD720P Dual Lens DVR
welldontech on eBay has sold over 240 of the HD720P Dual Lens DVR
Shenzhen CG Electronics on Aliexpress has sold over 200 of the F70 model
Note that prices are frequently changing so check all sources before ordering. If you find a lower priced option, please post in our forum and we will include.
Currently there is no publicly known way to extract or upgrade the firmware in these dash cams. There are numerous known firmware versions that have been sold:
- 007 F20_201209277 (Note that this version appears to have the date / time stamp in yellow)
|Lens||CMOS HD Wide-angle of 120 degree|
|Screen size||2.0 ” LCD|
|Record mode||Camera A (Built-in lens) / Camera A+B|
|The dual lens can work at the same time in different video file|
|Video Effective Pixels||HD 1280*720 30 fps/ VGA 640*480 30 fps|
|Emergency lock key||Have|
|Memory type||TF card (the card is not included)|
|Language||Chinese, English, Japanese, German, Korean, Russian, Portuguese, Italian, French|
|Microphone and Speaker||Support|
|AV-OUT||Support (the AV-OUT Cable is not included)|
Last Updated: Jan 22, 2013