The Itronics ITB-100HD SP Smart Plus DVR is an update to the very popular Itronics ITB-100HD. This a compact Korean built dash cam with very good picture quality during the day and good picture quality at night. It has a number of improvements over the ITB-100HD including:
- Records 1080p at 30f/s instead of 24f/s
- The boot-up time is reduced to approximately 15 seconds instead of 30 seconds
- Has voice capability that will verbally inform the driver on any major status changes
- A white LED light in the front of the camera (not really necessary or an improvement)
- Reminder to format the video card twice a week
The bitrate for the ITB-100HD SP is somewhat low at 6 MB / sec and is not adjustable (same as the original ITB-100HD). It has a built-in GPS module and uses standard SD cards. This dash camera also has a G-sensor and parking mode. If you are using parking mode, you may want to consider a Battery Discharge Prevention Device.
This camera has just been released in 2013. Some minor problems are summarized below.
No MPH Setting
The speed setting in this camera is only in kilometers per hour (when “Display Speed” is set to on and speed is embedded on video file). There is no way of changing this to miles per hour at this time.
Power Cable Length
The included power cable is approximately 3M long. This is just enough to wrap around the windshield, A-pillar and under the dash for many cars. However, larger vehicles may find that this length is too short for a clean install.
Be careful to not plug the power supply into the AV port. Doing this may destroy the camera. Unfortunately the power port and AV port are roughly the same size. If you will not be using the AV port, it may make sense to cover it with a small piece of tape.
ITB-100HD SP PC Player
Itronics has developed one PC player for the following models:
ITB-1000HD, ITB-100HD, ITB-100HD SP, ITB-200HD, ITB-250HD
The latest version is v.1.3.4
The English User Manual can be downloaded here.
Should I Purchase?
This camera has some nice upgrades from the original Itronics ITB-100HD. Unfortunately the initial selling price of $350 is too steep.
Where to purchase for lowest price
You can find it on Amazon.
WARNING! MAKING CHANGES TO YOUR FIRMWARE ARE PERFORMED AT YOUR OWN RISK. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR DASH CAM AS A RESULT OF THESE INSTRUCTIONS.
Firmware Update Instructions
- Download the latest firmware.
- Extract the zip file and copy the ‘itb100hdfw.bin’ to a blank SD card.
- Insert the SD card into the dash cam and turn on the cam
- The dash cam will perform a sequence of beeps, wait for the process to complete (less than 5min)
- When done it will give the regular power on triple beep.
The latest firmware version is v1.5
One of our members has created a custom firmware based on v1.2 that raises the bitrate to 12Mbps.
Last Updated: April 8, 2013