The V1-4K is a single channel dash cam released in May 2018 by the Chinese manufacturer Rexing. The camera is also known as the Rexing V1 3rd Generation or V1 Gen 3. Over the last few years, this camera has become very popular on Amazon.
The V1-4K is based on the Novatek 96663 processor and Omnivision OV4689 CMOS sensor. While the camera is advertised as a 4K camera, this is not actually true. 4K cameras must have a native resolution of 3840 × 2160p. Unfortunately, the 4MP Omnivision OV4689 CMOS sensor only has a maximum native resolution of 2688 x 1520p.
The 4K video from this camera is interpolated and does not provide better image quality than the lower resolutions. We suggest running the camera at 2560 x 1440p. At this resolution, video quality during the day is good and night quality is above average. This is similar to other “fake 4K” cameras using the Omnivision OV4689 sensor (i.e. ROVE R2-4K).
The camera has a 2.4″ screen and g-sensor but GPS is an optional module. The camera comes with WiFi and has supporting apps for Android and iOS. The V1-4K provides non-buffered parking mode if you hardwire the dash cam to your vehicle (optional hardwire kit required).
Like most wedge cameras, the V1-4K comes with an adhesive mount. The mount does not allow the camera to swivel for recording police interactions at the side windows. The V1-4K is a small camera at 89 x 63 x 51mm and build quality is fine. Also the camera uses a capacitor instead of a lithium battery making it suited for hotter climates. On the negative side, error notifications are only displayed on the screen (no audio error notifications exist).
Rexing appears to be responsive to questions and has adequate support. They also provide firmware updates which is a positive as well.
Overall reliability for the Rexing V1-4K, while not perfect, appears to be above average. Most complaints lie with app connectivity and usability (note the low score of the app in the app store).
Note there have been some complaints of the camera failing after 1+ years but this does not appear to be widespread. Since there are no audio notifications of errors, you should occasionally to confirm the camera is recording properly.
Should I Purchase?
The Rexing V1-4K is not a native 4K camera and video quality is on par with other cameras that use the Novatek NT96663 processor and Omnivision OV4689 CMOS sensor. While not the greatest video quality, there are a number of positives. We like the wedge form factor, the use of a capacitor instead of a battery and WiFi capability. However the app is not the greatest and lack of audio error notifications is not ideal.
While not the most affordable camera available, reliability appears to be ok, support is fine and most owners would be happy with this camera. That being said, we do prefer the VIOFO A119 V3 in this price range.
WARNING! MAKING CHANGES TO YOUR FIRMWARE ARE PERFORMED AT YOUR OWN RISK. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR DASH CAM AS A RESULT OF THESE INSTRUCTIONS.
Firmware Update Instructions
- On your dash cam, format your memory card using the Format function.
- Using a computer, click here to visit the firmware download page, where you can download the latest firmware for your dash cam. Follow the instructions on the page for choosing the correct firmware.
- The firmware will be downloaded as a .zip file. Once it’s completed downloading, unzip this file to access the .bin file contained within. The .bin file is your firmware file, you do not need to open it with any other application.
- Remove the card from your dash cam and insert it into your computer.
- On your computer, move the firmware file to the root (not inside any folders) of your memory card. Once this is done, you may safely remove the memory card from your computer.
- With the dash cam powered off, insert your card back into the dash cam.
- Power the dash cam on by connecting it to car charger. The dash cam will update automatically. The screen will stay off, but the status light will be active. Updating may take up to a minute to complete.
- (IMPORTANT) After updating, format the memory card. This will clear the firmware file from your memory card, preventing issues occurring from repeated firmware installations.
- Once the card has been formatted, you may turn off the dash cam by holding the Power Button.
The latest firmware can be downloaded using the Rexing Auto Firmware Tool.
Published: Oct 8, 2020
Rexing V1-4K - DashCamTalk
The Rexing V1-4K is not a native 4K camera and video quality reflects that. Good quality, decent reliability and WiFi but there are better choices at this price.
Product SKU: Rexing V1-4K
Product Brand: Rexing
Product Currency: USD
Product Price: 100
Price Valid Until: 2023-01-01
Product In-Stock: SoldOut