The Rexing V1P is a Chinese dual channel dash camera released in Apr 2016. This reasonably priced dual dash cam is popular on Amazon and has many positive reviews. This camera has gone through a few iterations and is currently in its 3rd generation. The key changes with this latest generation include:
- Use of a capacitor instead of lithium ion battery
- Addition of WiFi
- Improved CMOS sensor.
The V1P is based on the NOVATEK 96658 processor. It uses a Sony Starvis CMOS sensor (specific model is not disclosed) for the front camera but Rexing does not disclose which CMOS sensor is used for the rear camera.
The front camera records 1080p video at 30fps with an average bitrate of 10 Mbps for the front camera. The front video quality is good during the day and average at night. The rear camera records 480p video at 30fps with an average bitrate of 3.7 Mbps. Unfortunately 480p video is quite dated resulting in poor video quality during the day and very poor quality at night.
The camera has a 2.4″ screen, g-sensor and GPS is an optional module. The camera comes with WiFi and has free apps for Android and iOS. The V1P provides non-buffered parking mode if you hardwire the dash cam to your vehicle (optional hardwire kit required).
The camera comes with an adhesive mount and like most wedge shaped cameras, cannot swivel to record interactions at the driver or passenger windows. While we like the wedge shaped form factor, the V1P is a large camera at 180 x 84 x 132mm. Build quality is good and reliability has been above average. Unfortunately the V1P does not come with audio error notifications. It does provide error notifications on the screen but these can easily be missed by the driver.
Rexing appears to be responsive to questions and has adequate support. They also provide firmware updates which is a positive as well.
We would like to thank Sunny who created a review for this camera on our forum.
There are no common problems reported with this camera.
You can view internal photos of this camera in this PDF.
Should I Purchase?
The Rexing V1P is reasonably priced dual camera but the biggest drawback is the poor video quality from the 480p rear camera. This could be a dealbreaker for many. On the positive side the V1P uses a capacitor instead of a battery, has decent reliability and WiFi capability. However the app is not the greatest and generates a lot of complaints from users. The large size and lack of audio error notifications is not ideal as well. Overall, an ok camera but other dual cameras have better video quality.
WARNING! MAKING CHANGES TO YOUR FIRMWARE ARE PERFORMED AT YOUR OWN RISK. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR DASH CAM AS A RESULT OF THESE INSTRUCTIONS.
Firmware Update Instructions
- On your dash cam, format your memory card using the Format function.
- Using a computer, click here to visit the firmware download page, where you can download the latest firmware for your dash cam. Follow the instructions on the page for choosing the correct firmware.
- The firmware will be downloaded as a .zip file. Once it’s completed downloading, unzip this file to access the .bin file contained within. The .bin file is your firmware file, you do not need to open it with any other application.
- Remove the card from your dash cam and insert it into your computer.
- On your computer, move the firmware file to the root (not inside any folders) of your memory card. Once this is done, you may safely remove the memory card from your computer.
- With the dash cam powered off, insert your card back into the dash cam.
- Power the dash cam on by connecting it to car charger. The dash cam will update automatically. The screen will stay off, but the status light will be active. Updating may take up to a minute to complete.
- (IMPORTANT) After updating, format the memory card. This will clear the firmware file from your memory card, preventing issues occurring from repeated firmware installations.
- Once the card has been formatted, you may turn off the dash cam by holding the Power Button.
The latest firmware can be downloaded using the Rexing Auto Firmware Tool.
The English user manual can be downloaded here.
Published: Oct 13, 2020
Rexing V1P - DashCamTalk
The Rexing V1P is a low priced dual cam but the rear video quality is poor. Capacitor and WiFi are positives but app could be better.
Product SKU: Rexing V1P
Product Brand: Rexing
Product Currency: USD
Product Price: 90
Price Valid Until: 2023-01-01
Product In-Stock: SoldOut