The Vantrue T3 is a Chinese single channel dash camera released in Sep 2020. The T3 is based on the HiSilicon Hi3556 v200 processor but Vantrue has not disclosed the CMOS sensor for this camera.
The T3 records 1520p video which is a very unique resolution. Typically cameras record in the more common 1080p, 1440p or 2160p (4K). This dash cam uses the standard framerate of 30fps with an average bitrate of 14.9 Mbps. Video quality during the day is very good and night quality is above average.
The Vantrue T3 comes with a 2.45″ screen and g-sensor. Since this is not the cheapest 1-channel dash cam, we are surprised that the GPS module is optional and WiFi is not available. These are common features in this price range.
The T3 has a couple of unique features. In addition to the traditional cigarette lighter power cable for the cam, it also comes with an OBD power cable. In most cars, the OBD port is always powered on. This allows the camera to be used with parking mode.
Parking mode is also different than most cameras. The T3 uses radar detection to identify motion for parking recording (similar to the Thinkware U1000). Unfortunately the T3 does not come with buffered parking mode.
The camera comes with a suction mount that allows the camera to swivel 360° to record interactions at your side windows (i.e. police traffic stop). The T3 is asmall camera with dimensions of 102 x 45 x 44mm. Overall camera build quality is very good but there have been some complaints regarding the suction mount.
The camera uses a super capacitor instead of a battery which makes it suited for hotter climates. On the negative side, error notifications are displayed on the screen but no audio notifications are available.
Like other Vantrue dash cams, build quality is good and initial reliability appears to be good. Vantrue has decent support and provides firmware updates. The warranty can be extended from 12 months to 18 months when registering online which is a positive.
You can also read the T3 review from our member Sunny here.
There are no common problems reported with this camera.
Should I Purchase?
The Vantrue T3 is a good quality 1-channel dash cam. However at the $140 price point, we were expecting a few more features such as included GPS and Wifi.
On the positive side, the OBD power and radar parking are unique features that may interest some people. We like the design, build quality, use of a capacitor and 18 month warranty as well.
WARNING! MAKING CHANGES TO YOUR FIRMWARE ARE PERFORMED AT YOUR OWN RISK. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR DASH CAM AS A RESULT OF THESE INSTRUCTIONS.
Firmware Update Instructions
Please follow the Steps below to upgrade your device:
- Download the firmware to your PC (unzip the file if it is zipped)
- Insert your microSD card (32GB – 256GB) into the camera, and connect the camera to the computer through the USB port on the camera. Select “USB Connecting” on dash cam. Copy the firmware file (Vantrue-T3.bin) from the computer to the microSD card, then unplug the camera from the computer and turn it off
- Plug the camera to a power charger (not computer), or press the power button
- The camera will auto upgrade, and it will take about 30 secs to 1 min. During this time, the camera will not turn on and will not respond to any button or operation
- Once the dash cam upgraded successfully, it will turn on and work
- Check the version of your device now (go to the System Setup menu and turn to the Version)
- Format the microSD card when the update has been completed, or the camera will upgrade itself every time when it detects the firmware file in the card
The latest firmware can be found on the Vantrue site.
Published: Oct 31, 2020