Mobius requests

The locking of the current clip and the clip before that is a GREAT idea!!!

That way the most important footage is NOT lost and all video leading up to that point is saved too.

I would like to see something simple added like the option to change the date format, ie. 9/21/13 , 21/9/13.

The locking of the current clip and the clip before that is a GREAT idea!!!

That way the most important footage is NOT lost and all video leading up to that point is saved too.
This option was discussed in great length a while back in the Mobius RC thread. I'm sure the developer would have implemented it if it would be an easy solution - or maybe he forgot ;).

I think this is more an option from the chip manufacturer. If the chipset is not capable of this, the developer can't implement. But my feeling is that the chipset have this feature. But I don't know if is the same story regarding "Custom user logo (F02)".

I would like to see something simple added like the option to change the date format, ie. 9/21/13 , 21/9/13.
Added as F05.

enjoy,
Mtz

I would just like to see a great DVR designed for use in cars that takes up no more windscreen space than the lens (in other words, a unit with the ability to plug in an external lens).
With this facility, the size of the unit itself is not that important, so presumably, heat would not be an issue?
Whilst I appreciate that there are 2ch and 4 ch DVRs out there already, the quality is very poor.

Maybe start with a basic, 2ch system. Simple functions (as per existing Mobius) to begin with.
Introduce a 4ch system, again with basic functions.

I would just like to see a great DVR designed for use in cars that takes up no more windscreen space than the lens (in other words, a unit with the ability to plug in an external lens).
With this facility, the size of the unit itself is not that important, so presumably, heat would not be an issue?
Whilst I appreciate that there are 2ch and 4 ch DVRs out there already, the quality is very poor.

Maybe start with a basic, 2ch system. Simple functions (as per existing Mobius) to begin with.
Introduce a 4ch system, again with basic functions.

I love this idea and have thought about it for a long time. In fact, several years ago I almost put together a set-up using a small mini box camera on the dash with a separate DVR on the console similar to a CCTV security system but it would have cost quite a lot and not given me the performance I desired. D1 resolution just doesn't cut it on a dash cam.

Not only would this design eliminate most of the heat issues but would also be far more discrete than most of today's dash cams. If practicality and cost were not an issue (and this "might" actually be doable at some point) I would love to see tiny cameras with the most recent high speed Bluetooth specification that could transmit sound and video to a base unit on the console without unsightly or difficult to install wiring. Bluetooth could also transmit direct to smartphones and tablets perhaps sent from the base unit as a signal that combines all connected cameras.

Last edited:
My Mobius is on the way and I would love to have an "active holder" for it. This means that the base has an mini USB plug built-in which fits into the cam when you insert it in the base. This way the charger would be connected all the time to the holder and the camera would be powered through the holder.
I had this solution for my HTC Desire S and I saw it implemented also for the mini 0801 camera:
HTC-Desire-S-Car-Dock-Upgrade-Kit-detail1.jpg

GPS%20Module-500x500.png

So, hardware request: Active holder

My name for this option was Quick Mount or Mount and Connect ® and was reported to the developers:
The idea was before Mobius was released to the public and before this video (with a poor english).
I will add the request (H11) even I see small chances to be implemented.

Also we must consider that the USB connector of the Mobius is on the back of the camera so when you want to insert it into the charger connector you need to have some space until the windshield. Is possible on some cars to not have that space, depending on the mount solution.
Just think if the actual case holder would have the connector included. The camera is hard to be inserted to that case holder (if you have the necessary free space between windshield and camera mount) so having an Active Mount to a ”hard to use holder” is not a smart idea. Until now I didn't imagined any solution for the Mobus even for the 808 cameras I had one.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
I have also a similar solution for my 808 (under the rain sensor cover), but it was indeed easier to make. For Mobius it would be nice to have a smaller holder that would cover only 1/3 of the camera length and would allow to insert the camera at an angle and then push it upwards to be locked in the holder. Thats also the idea in the Desire S car holder, but I guess the cost would be signifiant.

A mishmash of ideas:

1. A right-angle mirror to slip over the lens; so you get a vertical camera body.
  2. Autostart into Picture mode
  3. When entering Picture mode {above}, start timelapse without shutter [if set in config, of course...]
  4. Timestamps on jpgs

Allow the config file to be loaded WITHOUT the data/time line.

So rather than having to put ???? every time, just delete the date/time line before loading.

Allow the config file to be loaded WITHOUT the data/time line.

So rather than having to put ???? every time, just delete the date/time line before loading.
For efficiency and also to save code space, the firmware parses the values in [] in the configuration file sequentially.
I have tested the Mobius with hundreds of configurations files and it only takes a second or two to copy/paste the date/time line with the parameter values set to all ?. All you need is a second file with this one line. It's then dead simple to copy/paste the line and is almost as fast as deleting the parameter.
The line has to be drawn somewhere between what is more useful, less error prone and simpler to implement. Saving space for other, more useful functionality, is, IMO, a much better idea than implementing 'luxury' code in a primitive configuration file that not so many people use. We should be appreciative that such a file exists
;)

For efficiency and also to save code space, the firmware parses the values in [] in the configuration file sequentially.
All you need is a second file with this one line. It's then dead simple to copy/paste the line and is almost as fast as deleting the parameter.

Point taken. I was actually thinking of moving the date/time to the end of the config file, so parsing would just end if it was absent.

I was trying over the weekend with keeping a copy of the config in the editor & just reloading it to the flash as I made changes, but had limited success. It didn't always read {and then delete} the file. I'll experiment more.

Point taken. I was actually thinking of moving the date/time to the end of the config file, so parsing would just end if it was absent.

I was trying over the weekend with keeping a copy of the config in the editor & just reloading it to the flash as I made changes, but had limited success. It didn't always read {and then delete} the file. I'll experiment more.
Unfortunately, the parameter file has a lot more to it than most people realize. When parameters are added, the configuration file becomes longer so it would mean modifying the parsing routine for the date [] each time the number of parameters is modified. Of course, an index could be maintained, but that would also need to be modified. It would also be possible to calculate the number of 'real' parameters etc. but this would all add unnecessary overhead. However, the main problem would occur if someone would install a config file from a previous version which included less parameters, or, more unlikely, a later file version which would include more parameters. There would be total chaos since the date wouldn't be where it is expected to be. Because space is limited, it is not possible to keep a list of the number of parameters for each FW version, so parsing for the firmware version is not an option.
There are many intermediate versions, sometimes with completely different parameters, which are never released. For example, we tested Motion detection in the #16 many months before anyone even mentioned it was needed. It was only available as a parameter in one or two test versions before it was officially introduced many releases, and many months later.
During my testing I always use a stock parameter file with the date and time set to ?. I copy this file to a new file and rename it. Then I copy this file to the Mobius and test. If something didn't work, I have the copy on disk. You don't need to make the copy to disk. You can copy your stock file to the Mobius, rename it and set the parameters how you want. However, if you set invalid parameters they will most likely by modified if you re-create the file. You are in the unlucky position of not having Windows or an Android device to configure the Mobius. Using a GUI ensures you never set any invalid parameters.

Yes, I guess my "move it" was too simplistic for the real world.

I'll ask the ToothSoftware Fairy for a OSX/Linux version of the configuration tool; I agree it would be nice to have.

Speaking of renaming, I'm going to experiment with renaming VOLUME1 and see if the camera balks. With multiple cameras, it would be nice to avoid confusion.

I did just try replacing only the date with ??, entering the time. But that didn't reset the camera's clock.

Along with/Instead of the date/time stamp....
A freeform text field that puts up a user-generated field. You input the field with the config file.

Purpose: labeling video files as desired.....

Already in F02.

enjoy,
Mtz

On the slide-in mount system....

The camera slides out towards the front. So if in a windshield mount, you can't remove the camera without changing the mount/aim.

On a future product. make it slide AWAY from the lens/windshield.
You could not have the lip all the way across the front because of the lens, but it does not need to....

Back