a couple of questions about Mobius

noback

Reaction score
Country
United States
I want to buy a small dash cam, I don't really need GPS function so Mobius might be a good choice, but I have several questions regarding it and hope you could help me out.
1. Can it be wired to the fuse box so it can automatically start or shut down when engine starts or turns off?
2. Does it require a lot of craftsmanship to install it, I mean by wiring it and tucking all the wires?
3. If it stops recording while car is parked, will the date/time be maintained correctly or I have to adjust it every time?
4. I live in Michigan, quite hot in the summer and cold in the winter, does anybody have problem with either battery or the sensor?
5. My car is brand new Accord, so will it cause any warranty problem by wiring it?

Please kindly advise and thanks~~~

1 yes
2 no
3 yes, will keep time and date
4 capacitors would be good if using in hot weather
5 no

Use an add-a-circuit and a female cig adapter. Easy to do, but you won't know unless you try :)
If you lived in India or Australia, you'd be better off with the optional capacitor, but in your location it's not a requirement but a good idea nonetheless. A cap would keep the date and time a week or so I would imagine, a battery obviously a lot longer.

What I read is it uses USB charger, but normal fuse box is not, so any special converter needed?
I don't want to use the cig lighter as I'm gonna use that for my cellphone .

the right wire should be connected to the piggyback fuse right?
Just another question, is 12v always the output voltage or there might be some 5v as well? and is 3A too much for Mobius?

Sorry for those 'stupid' questions, my knowledge in electronic things is really limited. or if I go to a body shop, how much would that take to ask a mechanic to take care everything?

You need to buy some sort of USB power supply (regulated to 5v- but they all should be 5V) with a minimum of 1Amp output. The Mobius will only draw as much current as it requires, so a 3Amp supply will be fine.

Your best (ie. easiest) option might be to purchase a cigarette lighter USB regulator that has two outputs- use one for your phone, the other for the Mobius. eg something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B008LM45I2

Question 4: it's a tiny action cam, so to me, keep the battery and use it for all the other situations it was designed for. I live in a warm climate, where everyday is 75-80 and so far, no problems. If I know it's going to sit in the hot car for a good period of time, I just disconnect the cable, give it a spin of the mount and take it inside. It take a sec to do on and off and I even keep the lens cap in the car so it's ready.

Here is the link to the RC forums for the authorized seller list so you can buy from a USA seller with a good rep like SpyTec or Novotm and save the month long shipping wait. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1904559

Back