Adhesive Mounts on Heated Front+Back Windows Help

RobS89

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey
New here, 1st post and 1st Dash Cam.

Basically I'm thinking of buying a dual set up. Thinkware F750 2ch has my attention right now.
It comes with only 2 adhesive pads for both cams.

My question is will the adhesives be affected by using my heated front and back windows when turned on?
I don't want the elements being damaged nor do I want the adhesive to fall off.
My car is a Ford Focus MK3.5 2015 if that helps.

Oh also while I'm posting about adhesives, can you apply these to plastics like the dash or the roof lining?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I don't think adhesive will be a problem on a heated rear window - it has to withstand 60-80'C in the baking sun and large parts of the adhesive will be between the heating wires rather than on the wires (you could even cut a strip out of your adhesive to avoid being directly over the wires if it bothered you). The adhesive has a very firm rubber consistency when set, so should be able to expand and contract with temperature changes as necessary.
With glass being a good conductor of heat, and with the adhesive being on only one side of the glass, I wouldn't think the heating of the rear window would be significantly affected.

I haven't heard many good things about dual dash cams though. I'd recommend two stand-alone cams unless dual is essential.

I don't think adhesive will be a problem on a heated rear window - it has to withstand 60-80'C in the baking sun and large parts of the adhesive will be between the heating wires rather than on the wires (you could even cut a strip out of your adhesive to avoid being directly over the wires if it bothered you). The adhesive has a very firm rubber consistency when set, so should be able to expand and contract with temperature changes as necessary.
With glass being a good conductor of heat, and with the adhesive being on only one side of the glass, I wouldn't think the heating of the rear window would be significantly affected.

I haven't heard many good things about dual dash cams though. I'd recommend two stand-alone cams unless dual is essential.

Hey
I'm more worried about my front heated windsreen as it has very fine heat elements that are mm's apart.

But I was also thinking I could stick my cam on the plastic shown in the photo in red squares. This is why I asked if plastic works too.
The green was where I was going to stick the cam on the window if plastic won't work.
Do you think plastic will be okay?
IMAG0531 Edit.jpg

....... Clean the area with alcohol to get rid of any oils that may be on the surface before mounting.....

Yes, the interior plastics of cars often have what seems to be a protective oily, non-stick, slightly shiny coating which needs a thorough wipe with an absorbent cloth or tissue to remove.

Getting the adhesive mount off plastics would be more of a concern for me - I wonder if the adhesive might react with and bond to the plastic, leaving a 'scar' if it has to be removed. With many dash cams being short-lived I would be wary of making any permanent changes which wouldn't be useful for the dead cam's replacement.
Removing the adhesive from glass is straightforward by sliding a blunt, round-tipped knife under to lever it off, so a permanent adhesive mount on glass would be more appealing to me than one on plastic.

Yes, the interior plastics of cars often have what seems to be a protective oily, non-stick, slightly shiny coating which needs a thorough wipe with an absorbent cloth or tissue to remove.

Getting the adhesive mount off plastics would be more of a concern for me - I wonder if the adhesive might react with and bond to the plastic, leaving a 'scar' if it has to be removed. With many dash cams being short-lived I would be wary of making any permanent changes which wouldn't be useful for the dead cam's replacement.
Removing the adhesive from glass is straightforward by sliding a blunt, round-tipped knife under to lever it off, so a permanent adhesive mount on glass would be more appealing to me than one on plastic.

I'll have to look around for an answer to that before I do go ahead with plastic, but it would be more ideal as it would be obscured and easier to access.
I have read that using a hair-dryer to heat the adhesive will help with removal.

As for the window again, there are thin heat elements that run vertical down the window and are mm's apart. Adding the adhesive to the window wont damage the elements nor will the heat damage the adhesive?

Last edited:
Anymore opinions on plastic?
I read that it would be alright. This isnt the dashboard plastic, I'm talking about the plastic casing in the image shown above.

Also it wont be illegal to mount this in the green area shown in the picture would it?

Also it wont be illegal to mount this in the green area shown in the picture would it?

The law says no more than 4cm intrusion into the field of view in the wiper sweep area, and no more than 1cm intrusion in the area in front of the driver, roughly the width of the steering wheel but officially something like 31cm wide strip centred on the steering wheel.

So technically the law would consider it an obstruction to your view if it hung below the mirror more than 4cm, and some clever lawyer might claim your view of the road was compromised and not within the letter of the law.

My car has one of those enormous mirror casings too, and it gets in the way of my visibility even without a cam, and cams have a significant chunk of their view blocked by it.

-
This is what my cams tend to 'see' (mounted to left of mirror block, high enough so as not to intrude too much into my view):

-

This is my view of windscreen. The housing is already in the view range but adding the camera to the bottom is definitely illegal?

I can't get a good view from up top because of the massive sensor housing.

IMAG0534.jpg

-
This is what my cams tend to 'see' (mounted to left of mirror block, high enough so as not to intrude too much into my view):

-

This is the best I can get.
Does this seem alright? Can't see much of the passengers side though.

Screenshot_2015-10-13-14-25-25.png

This is the best I can get.
Does this seem alright? Can't see much of the passengers side though.

The large mirror blocks create a no-win situation. You either have to mount the cam in a legally questionable position regarding obstruction, or you have to mount it where the passenger sun visor flips up, or far over to the passenger A-pillar where it won't block your view (but the cam won't see to one side) or you have to mount to one side of the mirror block and lose a big chunk of the field of view.
I hate the auto-lights/wipers and the obstruction the sensor housing causes to field of view even in daily driving. I even said to my wife recently that I might get mine removed and have a new, clear windscreen fitted.

I would have thought that where you've positioned the cam breaches the rule on 1cm obstruction in the area above the steering wheel.

I don't want the elements being damaged...

The elements in my heated front screen are sandwiched between layers of glass, so are not vulnerable to damage. If you check your front screen, you may find the same.

The large mirror blocks create a no-win situation. You either have to mount the cam in a legally questionable position regarding obstruction, or you have to mount it where the passenger sun visor flips up, or far over to the passenger A-pillar where it won't block your view (but the cam won't see to one side) or you have to mount to one side of the mirror block and lose a big chunk of the field of view.
I hate the auto-lights/wipers and the obstruction the sensor housing causes to field of view even in daily driving. I even said to my wife recently that I might get mine removed and have a new, clear windscreen fitted.

I would have thought that where you've positioned the cam breaches the rule on 1cm obstruction in the area above the steering wheel.

I've positioned the camera as close to the top of the windscreen on the drivers side. Even then my visor is always down so I won't see the camera itself as the visor will block it.
The image I provided does make it look as if it's half way down the windscreen but infact it is as high up as possible to the border.
Does that sound legal then?

Thanks

This is where the camera was temp mounted to get that view. In the green square.
IMAG0530 Edit.jpg

That give this view.
Screenshot_2015-10-13-14-25-25.png
Is this in an illegal spot or not?

Edit: I'm from the UK

Last edited:
Anyone know as I'd like to mount it today before I go to work? thanks.

Personally, I'd mount it in that area, but on the passenger side of the car.

Personally, I'd mount it in that area, but on the passenger side of the car.

Problem I have is the model has the camera mounted on the left of the unit when facing out the window, so mounting it on the drivers side at the top will help with getting a better view. If you know what I mean.
IMAG0536.jpg

But the position I outlined looks legal in the UK according to this?
windscreen-zonea-440.jpg

Back