Anyone tried 400 GB card? (Sandisk)

merkababa

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Exact card name: UA C10 MICRO100S 400G UHS1 Sandisk.

I'm looking for an SD card for my new A119, and I have a great deal for this particular card.

Wondered if it's supported on the new firmware version.

You should be able to use it if you partition it as 256GB and then get the extended lifespan that comes with a larger card, and if at some point in the future there is a firmware upgrade to support the larger cards then you will be able to re-partition to full size. So if your deal is for the same cost per GB as a smaller card then it is probably worth going for it.

One problem comes to mind went using big SD-cards is finding that special clip from a day or more ago. Especially if you have not locked them and do lots of miles and took no note. The loop file size becomes important because if you use 1, 2 or 3 minutes the files list could be enormous.

PotPlayer combines files into one stream, I have the number of files to combine set to 20 files.

PotPlayer combines files into one stream, I have the number of files to combine set to 20 files.

What is PotPlayer? Does it work with Linux?

Potplayer is very good player but comes with no instructions. Can be confusing for new users because it has loads of options maybe too many. Once you get it figured out it's worth more that it's $0 cost. There is a version for Linux but have never tried it.

What is PotPlayer? Does it work with Linux?
it works with WinXP!
biggrin.gif

Can I ask a totally basic question here? (And I am truly not trying to be a smartass). What is the advantage of huge memory cards in a dash cam? Why would anybody want to record dozens of hours of driving? If anything happens, you are after the last 30 seconds or so. And yes, you may want to save or put aside a few clips (but there again, a few minutes hardly eat up a lot of memory).

Cycle times cannot be an issue with SD cards taking tens if not hundreds of thousands of cycles. Even if you have a relatively small card, say 32GB (I think that's about 1.5 hrs of recording if I recall correctly), that would take you into decades of continuous recording.

So, am I missing something? Or is it that someone may want to continually record even when parked? Does the A119 even do that without cutting the frame rate or relying on the motion sensor?

Can I ask a totally basic question here? (And I am truly not trying to be a smartass). What is the advantage of huge memory cards in a dash cam? Why would anybody want to record dozens of hours of driving? If anything happens, you are after the last 30 seconds or so. And yes, you may want to save or put aside a few clips (but there again, a few minutes hardly eat up a lot of memory).

Cycle times cannot be an issue with SD cards taking tens if not hundreds of thousands of cycles. Even if you have a relatively small card, say 32GB (I think that's about 1.5 hrs of recording if I recall correctly), that would take you into decades of continuous recording.

So, am I missing something? Or is it that someone may want to continually record even when parked? Does the A119 even do that without cutting the frame rate or relying on the motion sensor?
sociability is a human’s nature, we share and exchange thoughts, feelings, photos and videos, that's why we use social networks and forums. we are even looking for solutions to our problems on the Internet. the more videos fit on the card, the more chances we have to record something interesting so we can share it with friends or use it in court to protect our rights. some people travel more and just can't review the footage every day so they collect it for a future view, that's why some of us want to use bigger SD cards.
smile3.gif

... the more videos fit on the card, the more chances we have to record something interesting so we can share it with friends or use it in court to protect our rights.

Hmm ok, I am still not sure if I understand what you are trying to explain to me. When you drive along and see something interesting, press the button on the camera and the last x minutes get saved away and will not be over-written. That hardly uses any space.

... some people travel more and just can't review the footage every day
That is where I am really lost and I am so unsure on how to word this now. If you are being sarcastic or I missed some sort of movie/internet meme reference, then forgive me, my fault. So here I go.

In my head is the question what you could mean with "review the footage"? To me that sounds like that someone would be on a drive for many many hours and then back home sit down and go over the footage of that drive again, to see if they missed something. This is what that sounds like to me, but surely that is not what you meant people do. Hence I am a bit at a loss here.

review the footage

Reviewing ones footage are a good idea now and then, highly recommended to do.
But of course you cant view every file in its entirety as that would take as long as it took to record it, and there are many hours of footage on a 400 GB memory card.

What i do are focus on first and last file in a drive session, and then launch it to verify it can play in my player of choice, and then immediacy close it again just so i can see where first file start to record ( mostly at my home as i set off, or any of my regular destinations )
Same with last file that are normally in one of my choice destinations or my home, anything else like mid drive some distance from a known place make a bell ring with me.
And then i do the same with some random files thru-out my memory card, and to do that i use 5 - 10 minutes at the computer for a 128 GB memory card.

I find i drive the same routes again and again, so by now if something happened in so and so intersection on my route i know i will have to look at say the number 9 file in that drive session.

It would take some time to look over a 400 GB memory card my way, but it is not something you have to do more than say every month or two maybe 3, and then the time spent on the computer are way better instead of become one of the guys that say " i put a dashcam in my car 3 years ago, and now i have had a accident and find it have not recorded the past 6 months "

If a file can launch on your pc in what ever player you use, all of it should be good and viewable, so reviewing your footage you only need to watch like 5 seconds or so of the files you sample.

I think thats what is meant with reviewing the footage.

If some one mean to review their footage 1:1 thats just silly in my book, not least if nothing at all happen, and should anything happen use the manual event button.
Same with some people wanting their LCD live all the time, why the hell would you want to have the view you hopefully are looking at out the windscreen playing on a stamp sized screen too, even if it is the rear camera thats still silly as most cars have a mirror that will let you see things back there even better.

Last edited:
Large SD-card very large file list making very hard to find that unlocked file. 64Gb holds about 4hrs and 128gb about 8Hrs as most of us have boring none eventual journeys with the occasional happening we wish to save, that why a video lock button is fitted. Personally anything over 128GB is a waste and collecting totally useless footage.
Why would anyone want to watch hours of the same monotonous footage of their everyday driving beats me. I have more to do than relive a boring journey.

Reviewing ones footage are a good idea now and then, highly recommended to do.
I am with you as far as now and then reviewing footage to make sure the camera is recording correctly. Of course, that's not a bad idea. But that does not explain what the advantage of 10hrs+ of mundane recordings on a dashcam are. In fact, it makes the type of quality check you describe more difficult.

Personally anything over 128GB is a waste and collecting totally useless footage.
I would even go lower than that. Unless you are after something I am missing (and trying to find out), even a recording time of 30 minutes would be plenty.

As I type this I thought of an instance where it may come in handy to have a few hours worth of recording. Say someone who is not familiar with the operation of the camera or someone who is not even aware that the camera is there (friends borrowing the car, not technically inclined spouse or son or daughter etc) is driving the car and has a little ding. The automatic saving of the accident does not work for whatever reason (not enough of a jolt to trigger the auto-save eg). Then it would be great to have enough recording on the camera for the messing around with the paperwork (ignition may be on, stressful situation after all) and the trip back home to be available in memory.

Yes. in general i see dashcams as garbage data generators, and almost fall of my computer chair when some people in all seriousness say they want to save all the video they generate.

I think you could devise a dashcam that only saved your actual events, which then preferably would be nothing at all as one would hopefully not have any accidents.
But then you miss out on all the little crazy - funny - good looking things that you could share.

But yes 400 GB do make inspection of your memory much more of a task, also a reason i am not all that much in a hurry to update from the 128 Gb cards i use ( dual channel ) and 64 GB in my single cameras.

With a properly tuned dashcam you could think off the RO folder where events go as the only thing you have to worry about, but the memory where the RO folder reside might be scattered over several not necessary consecutive memory sectors.
And since the memory card are often the weakest link, you have to look at it as a whole.

My hope are with future dashcams we also get some of the error correction / wear leveling and what ever hard drives have, when we transition away from memory cards as storage.
Of course a SSD hard drive or what ever solid state memory all have s finite amount of read write cycles in can endure, so we will never really be 100 % safe.

I like having at least 8 hours recording time. One reason is that I can go back and see my whole days driving, anything I may have done or which someone else did around me. Another reason is that my cams also serve as 'security cams' for my workvan. Motion detect and g-sensor are not always reliable for capturing small events so I prefer continuous recording- can't miss anything this way. But if all you want is driving protection then smaller cards will do just fine.

Phil

Exact card name: UA C10 MICRO100S 400G UHS1 Sandisk.

I'm looking for an SD card for my new A119, and I have a great deal for this particular card.

Wondered if it's supported on the new firmware version.

I had a little chat with someone on Youtube comments who bought a 400-500gb SD card (i forgot the exact gb number)

He tried it with Blackvue DR900s. He said it kept giving him error messages and he had to go back to 256gb, so basically it didnt work because it is not supported

yeah it might not work on all cameras.
I know SG are testing with their cameras and it seem to be working fine, i believe they are even testing even larger cards now.

When it come to Blackvue and thinkware those 2 seem to go a long way to make sure as few cards as possible will work with their cameras. :cautious:

yeah it might not work on all cameras.
I know SG are testing with their cameras and it seem to be working fine, i believe they are even testing even larger cards now.

When it come to Blackvue and thinkware those 2 seem to go a long way to make sure as few cards as possible will work with their cameras. :cautious:

“They want to make sure as few cards as possible will work with their cameras”

On which basis are you giving this statement?

observations in here over the past 8 years, i have never ovned either brand myself.

Back