Are both my g1wh cams dead?

pcons

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Long story short, I have two g1wh cams (mine and my wife's)...each worked for about 2 months, then would only show a solid blue light when plugged in, but would not power up.

I thought maybe the batteries were bad, and ordered some new ones from one of the threads I read on replacement batteries. Swapped them in tonight (re used the charging board on the OEM battery), but still get the same behavior: plugging in only shows a blue light and units do not power up, power button does not work, pressing the reset button does nothing.

Are these cameras officially bricks, or do any of you fine smart folks have any things I can try to repair them?

Is it possible the charging board is dead? If so, any advice on how to troubleshoot or test it?

Thanks for the assistance.

My G1W just did the same thing and I was about to order a new battery when i noticed your post - the new battery didn't fix the issue. Did you ever find out what was wrong with your camera? Causing the solid blue light and no display?

I didn't see this when originally posted, but yes the charging board can be bad as can anything electronic. If you're still in the warranty period you should contact the seller for instruction, especially before modifying the cam in any way. If you bought directly from China you're probably out of luck with that. If you've got a fake (and there are many of them) the battery is probably a cheap one and now dead. A fake cam may not be worth repairing if something else fails shortly after you've fixed it.

The G1W cams are not what they used to be and they are known to sometimes have problems with the soldering at the USB port which could be another cause for behavior like this. Power supply issues are also a known problem as is the use of cheap USB cables. I would first see what happens by trying a known good 5V power source that can deliver at least 1A along with a new or known good UBS cable before going inside the cam. This is the first diagnostic step to try for almost all cam problems when it's power is supplied through any type of USB port.

Hope this helps!
Phil

Back