Article on ARS technica about dashcams

No mention of 'premium' features like capacitors or CPL. Interesting link to reddit discussion on rear facing cameras.

Geez, I thought those folks were the technically advanced crowd? I'm darn near in the dark ages regards most of the high-tech stuff but I'm light years ahead of them regards dashcams :cool: Which have been around quite awhile. Which everyone has seen on youtube at some point. Which makes me wonder who's really out-of-touch, me or them? :p

I think that in the US 5 years from now about 15%-25% of the cars will have dashcams, and 5 years after that the number will be double. But articles like this could accelerate those numbers and I'll be glad of they do ;)

Phil

Geez, I thought those folks were the technically advanced crowd? I'm darn near in the dark ages regards most of the high-tech stuff but I'm light years ahead of them regards dashcams :cool: Which have been around quite awhile. Which everyone has seen on youtube at some point. Which makes me wonder who's really out-of-touch, me or them? :p
I started taking notes to quote some of her more "interesting" takes on dashcams but I soon gave up. They'd probably fill he entire comment's page. :D

I think that in the US 5 years from now about 15%-25% of the cars will have dashcams, and 5 years after that the number will be double. But articles like this could accelerate those numbers and I'll be glad of they do ;)
But they can also be highly counter-productive if new buyers base themselves exclusively in what's said in them, not to mention the same new buyers will probably think the 3 "tested" cameras are the best out there.

I started taking notes to quote some of her more "interesting" takes on dashcams but I soon gave up. They'd probably fill he entire comment's page. :D

But they can also be highly counter-productive if new buyers base themselves exclusively in what's said in them, not to mention the same new buyers will probably think the 3 "tested" cameras are the best out there.
Indeed, I see a lot of recommendations coming up for whatever brand is sold in Halfords. I also see people buying because a cam was recommended in 'which' magazine.
And, funniest of all, I see people saying you should buy in Halfords etc because the chinese stuff is so unreliable!

She's prettier than Techmoan. :p
Same can't be said for the installations. I know they were just test setups, but some people may get the wrong idea.

And, funniest of all, I see people saying you should buy in Halfords etc because the chinese stuff is so unreliable!
And many people still think that the only 'Made in China' products are the ones that come directly from there. :confused:

Always fun to listen to a person with a iphone in the hand whine about crappy things made in China, i guess that's just how shallow and ignorant people are today.

The Chinese can build just what they or you like, but if you like it very good and to the highest standards, well then you just have to pay the prize and that one will be the same more or less to the same product made in the US.
Off course if it was made in Denmark it would be a even higher prize, but you would also know its build by the book and there is no environmental damage or exploitation of the working guy.
Actually chances are the environmental damage would be much less, as we could run your factory on 100% renewable energy, and things like pension and healthcare and rights for the workers would be thru the roof compared to china.

But even Danes just want the cheap stuff, so selling our model get harder and harder i assume, and why should you pay 40.000 dollars for a B&O TV when you can get a LG that's just as good if not better for 20.000 dollars.

The only competitive edge they have is the low salaries for the work force - and then the cheap prices for cutting corners on things like environmental protection and so on, just slip a red envelope here and there and hey presto all your troubles are over.

Back