BlackVue DR500GW-HD firmware v1.008 (En, Rus,..)

I've updated to 1.008. The date on my videos shows 7-25. Both for today 8-1 and yesterday 7-31. I've chosen Los angeles pacific time zone but the time is off 3 hours 15 minutes. Meaning it shows 5:45 when it's 9. GPS is turned on. The firmware is not catching the date and time off either the win7 computer nor the GPS. I also updated the firmware via wifi and an iPad. Any ideas? I had no issues with 1.005.

defbear said:
I've updated to 1.008. The date on my videos shows 7-25. Both for today 8-1 and yesterday 7-31. I've chosen Los angeles pacific time zone but the time is off 3 hours 15 minutes. Meaning it shows 5:45 when it's 9. GPS is turned on. The firmware is not catching the date and time off either the win7 computer nor the GPS. I also updated the firmware via wifi and an iPad. Any ideas? I had no issues with 1.005.

Have you taken the camera for a drive to let the GPS locate itself The GPS gets its time from a satellite as an offset from Greenwich Mean Time

I have updated it and it works perfectly with absolutely no problems.

Instructions do say not to update from WIFI.

One way to sort out an SD card is format it with the SD FORMATTER and do a FULL FORMAT ERASE in the options.

That will wipe the card completely but it takes a couple of hours.

A quick format only deletes the first letter of a file and then when you add something to the card it just overwrites the rest so there can be crap on the card that upsets things.

Look in your Config file. The timezone for Los Angeles is 126 according to my camera when I set it to that City. See if thats what it says. If not edit it to make it that and see what happens when you go for a run.

Avenger1 said:
pidge said:
To Be totally honest I could not see any difference and that's on the highest quality setting 10mbs
See the following file:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUzSfbBa ... e=youtu.be
1920x1080 bitrate 10 frame rate 28 fps

the quality is worst than with 1.005 (where I have 12mbit framerate).

Are you sure

1.005 is stock 1.1.1 has the high mbit My 1.005 certainly isnt as good as 1.008

Last edited by a moderator:
Hillbilly said:
defbear said:

Have you taken the camera for a drive to let the GPS locate itself The GPS gets its time from a satellite as an offset from Greenwich Mean Time

One way to sort out an SD card is format it with the SD FORMATTER and do a FULL FORMAT ERASE in the options.

A quick format only deletes the first letter of a file and then when you add something to the card it just overwrites the rest so there can be crap on the card that upsets things.

Look in your Config file. The timezone for Los Angeles is 126 according to my camera when I set it to that City. See if thats what it says. If not edit it to make it that and see what happens when you go for a run.
Thank you for the quick reply. I used a new 32gb card which I did a quick format using the sdformatter. When I took a drive with the new software it took 10 minutes to hookup the GPS. On 1.005 it found the satellites in half a block.
I saved the 32gb card that has 1.005 on it. If I pop it in will It take the camera back to 1.005, or will it look at the card and put the 1.008 files on it?

iLarry said:
Still now options for MacOS users? :cry:

I sent your request to the engineering team. Thanks for the feedback.

defbear said:
Hillbilly said:
defbear said:

Thank you for the quick reply. I used a new 32gb card which I did a quick format using the sdformatter. When I took a drive with the new software it took 10 minutes to hookup the GPS. On 1.005 it found the satellites in half a block.
I saved the 32gb card that has 1.005 on it. If I pop it in will It take the camera back to 1.005, or will it look at the card and put the 1.008 files on it?

My cameras actually retain the time because when I put the new firmware in and put it in the camera and start it up it must be correct as the time shows up correctly in the viewer even though the satellite icon shows its not locked on

Yes a new installation would take longer to initialize.

When I went out with it in for the first time it took 2.09 mins to lock on Today it took 1 min36 sec

Here is the lock on times for the last year of saved files June 2012 Dr400G using latest firmware at the time 2 .58 mins on a wet day ,1min 18 sec, next day 58sec April DR500 32sec, Dif day 2,min 36 sec,

So you see there is no rhyme nor reason to lock on times and the clock was working whilst not GPS enabled

Not sure what would happen if you want to revert back Try it and see and let us know.

Hillbilly said:

full Ephemeris data stream takes 12.5 minutes to collect from the satellites, I'd expect that if the GPS buffer had been cleared, or was a long way out of date, the GPS had been reset (as some have had to do on this model) etc then the first time allocation would be much longer than usual, nothing to worry about if it takes longer initially, if it was very slow every time that may be a different issue though

jokiin said:
Hillbilly said:

full Ephemeris data stream takes 12.5 minutes to collect from the satellites, I'd expect that if the GPS buffer had been cleared, or was a long way out of date, the GPS had been reset (as some have had to do on this model) etc then the first time allocation would be much longer than usual, nothing to worry about if it takes longer initially, if it was very slow every time that may be a different issue though

Looked at files again and this arvo I stopped at a friends. I turned car off for 5 mins and when I turned it back on camera picked up the satellite in 7 secs Maybe its because car had only moved about 50 meters
in that time??????

So what would you make of my lockon times above

You need to do a bit of GPS research. This ephemeral data will be good for about 4 hours (it is updated every 2 hours on sats).. it will take several minutes to retrieve this data from each satellite. It also gets almanac info. Look at http://www.maptoaster.com/maptoaster-to ... works.html how GPS works, and it discusses cold start, warm start etc, a good brief read.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Hillbilly said:
jokiin said:
Hillbilly said:

Looked at files again and this arvo I stopped at a friends. I turned car off for 5 mins and when I turned it back on camera picked up the satellite in 7 secs Maybe its because car had only moved about 50 meters
in that time??????

So what would you make of my lockon times above

lock time will vary depending on cold, warm or hot start, the 12.5 minute full start from nothing is really only a one off after the buffer is cleared

hot start is when you have active signal and go out of coverage area, through a tunnel etc and should pick up signal again with a matter of seconds as the GPS will hunt straight back to the existing satellites it was connected to

warm start (depending on the GPS) which can be considered anything up to around 30 minutes after last power on however this can be extended depending on the GPS type and anything up to 4 hours is possible, the warm start time is generally around 30 seconds to a minute in most cases, in the case of a warm start the GPS knows approximately where it should look for active signal based on the Ephemeris information it stores

cold start is generally considered anything longer than about 4 hours of being off and can take a few minutes or more depending on conditions, things like rain doesn't really impact GPS signal but your metal wiper arms going back and forth across the windscreen do so the weather can play a part, cold start undercover will cause a longer time to signal lock than if you start up outside as the GPS will start looking where it thinks signal should be and could start searching elsewhere before you get line of site to start looking at the right places for signal

Blackvue until recently were keeping the GPS active in parking mode which I notice they have now stopped, previously this would have aided the warm start times, so the results may change a little in the newer firmware, neither way is right or wrong and I suspect they've probably had good reason for changing it so I'm not implying either way is better but the results people may achieve since the change may vary from what they're used to (if they were using parking mode that is)

sorry about the lengthy reply, hard to sum it up quickly, GPS is probably the hardest bit about a DVR to get consistent results with as it's a lot more involved than it may seem, hope I've made that clear enough to follow

I updated the firmware to the latest last night. Everything went OK except the time is about 50 minutes off while in live view. I never had this issue before with time. I selected America/Pacific Time in the IOS app and the time is still ahead 50 minutes. Can you please add this to the list of fixes for future updates?

AmericanDriver said:
I updated the firmware to the latest last night. Everything went OK except the time is about 50 minutes off while in live view. I never had this issue before with time. I selected America/Pacific Time in the IOS app and the time is still ahead 50 minutes. Can you please add this to the list of fixes for future updates?

In the config file what is the number for the time zone

Hello, new member here.

I just happened to search and saw the new fw posted. I've had the DR500GW for about a month now. Works OK, but wasn't quite happy with the picture quality. So I was glad to read about the updated FW. The download and install went great but now I have an issue.

For some reason, I can not view the video with the new version of Blackvue on my computer. I get audio. If I click on the screen, I'll get a quick flash of an image. I believe it's part of the video. Hard to tell for sure.

I can view the video file separately without issue through the file folder. I also loaded up the old version of Blackvue 2.032(??) and tested the video. It video screen works fine but I run into issues with the rest of the options.

What's the deal?

I have Win7. I tried running it in different compatibility options. I do get a prompt message from Win7 when Blackvue 2.035(??) loads up but I accidently clicked the do not show again. Now I can't seem to get it to pop up.

clanlessaa said:
Hello, new member here.

I just happened to search and saw the new fw posted. I've had the DR500GW for about a month now. Works OK, but wasn't quite happy with the picture quality. So I was glad to read about the updated FW. The download and install went great but now I have an issue.

For some reason, I can not view the video with the new version of Blackvue on my computer. I get audio. If I click on the screen, I'll get a quick flash of an image. I believe it's part of the video. Hard to tell for sure.

I can view the video file separately without issue through the file folder. I also loaded up the old version of Blackvue 2.032(??) and tested the video. It video screen works fine but I run into issues with the rest of the options.

What's the deal?

I have Win7. I tried running it in different compatibility options. I do get a prompt message from Win7 when Blackvue 2.035(??) loads up but I accidently clicked the do not show again. Now I can't seem to get it to pop up.

The new viewer has a problem if Windows 7 is running a screen theme other than basic However it should just alter it to show as basic and revert back to your theme when exiting. Thats what mine does as posted earlier in one of the 1.008 threads. This one First reply viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2067

You could try viewer vers 2.033 from here https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B3Cr ... kRfMDlKek0 as 2.032 has a Google map certificate problem

Make sure you have the path correct in the little window above where the files are Like K:Blackvue/record............ If you are loading the viewer from the SD card the path should be correct anyway.

Not being smart but you have clicked on the Windows viewer and not the MAc one Has happened

I've been on the fence about buying a DR500GW-HD camera for a couple months now. This new official firmware update sounds promising. I have a few questions still before ordering one.

1) Once the 500 is updated to official v1.008, will it support 64GB cards? (with out having to use the special PC SD format utility) I'd rather know the camera can natively format a 64GB card without assistance.

2) What is the technical reason that the official firmware is limited to 10 MB/s when the unofficial custom firmware by Mio supports 12 MB/s? (and several people have shown the quality is superior) Is it because they are worried about WiFi performance? I'd rather have higher quality!

3) Does the official firmware add/fix the auto exposure control chip feature. (AEC) when driving through shadows of trees? pidge's demo below doesn't look as good as the Demos I've run across in the Custom firmware thread the past few weeks. (Mio enabled AEC, and it's not clear the official firmware uses AEC at all)

pidge said:
To Be totally honest I could not see any difference and that's on the highest quality setting 10mbs
See the following file:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUzSfbBa ... e=youtu.be
1920x1080 bitrate 10 frame rate 28 fps

So having said that, the main things I'm waiting to clear up for me to buy one is:
-Official Firmware quality as good as Custom firmware quality
(bitrate, AEC)
-Add 64GB support without having to use PC format utility.

I'm ready to order as soon as I hear more people are "happy" with less bugs/work arounds.

I read the new 550 camera bit rate is stuck at 6 MB/s (yuck, whY???)

JazJon said:
2) What is the technical reason that the official firmware is limited to 10 MB/s when the unofficial custom firmware by Mio supports 12 MB/s? (and several people have shown the quality is superior) Is it because they are worried about WiFi performance? I'd rather have higher quality!
More bitrate > makes processor warmer = overheating

I dunno, I would think more compression= more processing power= more heat... seems from anecdotal posts here the blackvue is opposite to what it should be..

Back