Blu-Tac mobius mount.

sludgeguts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius x3, G1W held as spare.

Had to swap vehicles today as mine was laid up.
Sod's law took effect - My G1W was at home and the only cradle for my Mobius is securely mounted.
All I had in my 'arsenal' was some electrical tape, a couple of odd screws, a couple of cable ties and some blu-tac.

Removing the Mobius from my bus, I mounted it horizontally on the window pillar.
I was quite impressed with the results.

He wasn't the sharpest tool in the box - think he expected the van to move - had the same the other week when two bikers on the really wide ones decided to overtake the cars at temporary traffic lights - except they did it as the lights were on red so everything started coming the other way except couldn't get past them!

That is the beauty of the Mobius - it's so small you've got loads of options! All my footage so far has been with it stuck to the bottom of various other dash cams!

I couldn't figure how to upload pics on their own so decided to include them in the vid.
To be honest, I really didn't expect the tac to perform anywhere near as well as it did.
I rolled a blob in my hands for a while to warm it up (about 3/4" diameter ball) then stuck it to the front edge of my Mobius & then to the window pillar.
Once in place (I had to guess the aim), it stayed there the whole day. Even though the camera was held on with blu-tac, on the front half of its edge, I didn't notice any wobble in the footage & the cam didn't slowly droop on its mount during the day.
Here's the full clip...

I've intended to launch a thread for the longest time about using Blu-Tac for mounting dash cams but somehow I never quite got around to it. It is great stuff and works perfectly for temporary and even permanent mounting of cameras.
I have described here and there on DCT how and why I first got interested in dash cams and although it is a long convoluted story it had to do with someone I once did business with in my area who broke a contract requiring me to hire an attorney to resolve the outstanding issues. This person turned out to be rather disturbed and after he was legally compelled to honor said contract spent many years threatening me, harassing me and vandalizing my property and it was this reason that I first became interested in surveillance systems and dash cams. So, my first "dash cam" was a Panasonic miniDV camcorder attached (quite securely) to my dashboard with a big wad of Blu-Tac. It was footage from this camera of the guy doing his crazy **** that finally got him arrested on stalking charges. Yay to Blu-Tac!

The rear facing camera in my Toyota Tacoma truck is a Mobius with B lens and super-cap. I have a small ball and socket mount screwed into the headliner right near the rear glass but there wasn't much to hold the whole thing steady up there so I pressed a big wad of Blu-Tac up behind the headliner and it was the perfect solution. It holds the camera and headliner quite solidly, permanently and is completely invisible but could be removed if desired.

A local "Dollar Store" went out of business and sold off everything they have for fifty cents an item and I was able to buy a handful of packages of Blu-Tac for practically nothing. One of these packages provided the probably about two golfball sized "wad" of tac I used in the headliner. Interestingly, the manufacturer are the folks who make the original Super-Glue and their Blu-Tac product happens to be yellow so I have a nice stash of Yellow-Tac on hand for future projects. It's a different manufacturer but it's the same thing.

Last edited:
Wait, wait wait!. What the heck is THIS?!! That thing looks rather obscene. What is that thing?

WTF.jpg

Last edited:
That's a **** block - it's for pedestrians to hold onto when they get half way over the road and need to hold onto something :D

We used to make Blu-Tac, get the temp a bit too high in the mixer and the damn stuff went like a very sticky putty and stuck to the rotors of the mixer and the mill rollers. You couldn't pull it off because it just came away on your fingers. Had to be scraped off everything :( took hours!

Frank

Just back from my hols in the Welsh Valleys - very little mobile signal and zero internet unless I loitered around certain shops & banks to nick their wifi.
Dashmellow, that used to be street furniture (lamppost/sign etc) until some muppet approaching the roundabout too fast smashed into it. Instead of repairing them properly, the council love to chop off the worst bit & wrap the rest up in hazard tape - and there it stays for years & years!
Following on from the 'success' of my blu-tac mount, I'm going to install a mobius in my car & I figured I could use Sugru rather than blu-tac.
I'm lucky enough to have a plastic parcel shelf above my windscreen so my current cam (F70) is held in place with a single screw (allowing sideways adjustment) - and because the lens rotates up or down, this solves the problem of aiming the lens down away from the sun.
I couldn't see another way of getting the mobius tight to the parcel shelf whilst getting the angles right - and I figured I could use sugru.
If I mount the cam close to the screen, my blu-tac experience tells me I'll likely pick up loads of reflections so I'm hoping that some black sugru will make an excellent shield, by projecting outwards from the bottom of the lens towards the screen.
I'll probably do the mount in 2 goes. The first part being to fix the cradle, aim the cam & let the sugru set.
The second part will be to make a simple lens shield using the black sugru. Again, I would have to have the cam connected to a monitor to ensure the shield is out of shot (or 'just' in shot so as to make no difference.)

I did wonder about making a small ' |_| ' shaped bracket to allow sideways and up/down movement but couldn't figure out a simple way to attach to the sides of the mobius' cradle - OK, I could glue some bolts to the cradle but I felt the sugru solution would look neater & possibly provide a more stable fixing.

Just back from my hols in the Welsh Valleys - very little mobile signal and zero internet unless I loitered around certain shops & banks to nick their wifi.
Dashmellow, that used to be street furniture (lamppost/sign etc) until some muppet approaching the roundabout too fast smashed into it. Instead of repairing them properly, the council love to chop off the worst bit & wrap the rest up in hazard tape - and there it stays for years & years!

I hope you enjoyed your holiday sludgeguts. Now that you're back I'll be looking forward to seeing more of your "todays idiots" footage. I'm sure there will be an endless supply of them.

That's really funny about the "street furniture". You got to admit it looks rather, umm unusual for a public road maintenance "object". :) Maybe some public works guy's idea of a joke? I just love the way they do things in GB! :)

Took me a little over 7 hours to drive the 220 miles to S. Wales, using motorway as much as possible. We had 2x half hour stops to let the dogs stretch their legs.
I decided to come back across country.
OK, so the roads are quite twisty-turny (went around the northern side of the brecon beacons) and my speed was mostly limited to 50 or below (many places are 60 but you'd never make the bends!).
The return journey took just shy of 6 hours - with 2 half hour dog stops.
30 miles shorter.
Hardly any traffic around - apart from the idiot in the horsebox, I had no problems.
Also very interesting to note, all the roads were immaculate and I didn't come across my first pothole until I was well across the English border.
It seems that not only are our councils bad at repairing damaged street furniture, they are bad at repairing roads.

I've put another couple of vids on YT from the day before my hols, will link them here in a while.

Back