Cameras with 12V power input

Analog Kid

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Most cameras use a USB connection for power that requires a 5V adapter to use in a car.

What cameras have 12V power inputs? I want to hard-wire the camera and don't want the complications & fire hazzard of an adapter transformer.

If you don't have a separate adaptor then the camera will need an internal one so you have the "fire hazard" anyway, actually the camera will have one anyway since most processor and sensor chips and all SD cards run on a lot less than 5 volts and the internal battery also needs a voltage converter.

They don't have transformers inside anyway, they are switch mode regulators and the control chips have internal temperature, overload and short circuit monitoring and will shut down if there are any problems. Most dangerous thing in them is an electrolytic capacitor which might one day cause a small puff of toxic smoke. Do make sure it is protected by the correct fuse though, a 2 amp one is normally good, hard to start a fire with that little power.

Panorama S, X2
Street Guardian SGZC12SG, SGZC12RC
All take 12V-24V straight in
The barrel plug end type is a "Nokia" 35135 which means the outside is 3.5mm and the pin is 1.35mm

What cameras have 12V power inputs? I want to hard-wire the camera and don't want the complications & fire hazzard of an adapter transformer.

the LiPo batteries found in most cameras are far more dangerous than the adapter

bump.
my rearview mirror has a pre-existing USB type C tap which is 12volts for my prior Owl dash cam.
Do any contemporary dash cams use a 12v usb type C power input (instead of the more common 5v power input via adaptor?)
I think blackvue and thinkware are 12v dash cams but they do not use usb type C input and would require an adaptor of sorts
thanks

Well thru USB C, they will charge with higher voltages 9 and 12 volts of fast charging, but that is not needed in Dahcams so they are just 5 Volts VIA the USB C plug.
I have used dashcams on fast charge capable chargers, but that is okay if there are no QC chip in the devise asking the charger for more power, well then it just act as a normal 5V charger.

TBH i have no ides if these faster charge / voltages for instance for a phone, just ise the same pinout or if more pins are in play for higher voltages.
The Dride camera i am getting it as i recall are also 12 V VIA a USB C plug, so i dont think it would be wise to later on plug a 5 V camera to that cameras " hard wire " kit

Well thru USB C, they will charge with higher voltages 9 and 12 volts of fast charging, but that is not needed in Dahcams so they are just 5 Volts VIA the USB C plug.
I have used dashcams on fast charge capable chargers, but that is okay if there are no QC chip in the devise asking the charger for more power, well then it just act as a normal 5V charger.

TBH i have no ides if these faster charge / voltages for instance for a phone, just ise the same pinout or if more pins are in play for higher voltages.
The Dride camera i am getting it as i recall are also 12 V VIA a USB C plug, so i dont think it would be wise to later on plug a 5 V camera to that cameras " hard wire " kit

USB C has evolved quite a bit over the years: https://www.asme.org/topics-resources/content/explore-the-basics-of-usb-c-and-usb-power-delivery

Back