Can't reliably read cards with supplied card reader

sbt

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
SG9665GC v2
So have this issue since I got my SG9665GC last year; I have not been able to reliably read micro SD cards (either the supplied 32GB card, or any other) using this plug in card reader supplied with the dash cam. It's the one with both SD and MicroSD slots, and USB on one end and USB OTG micro-b on the other. I've tried in three different USB slots on one Mac, and the only available slot on another. I put it aside and started using an SD slot adapter with the Macs instead. However, I'd like to able to use this with the OTG end.

In MacOS, if I try to copy videos from the card to the mac, it starts out OK, but after a minute or less, the copy will stall and error messages start to pop up, such as "disc not ejected properly". The syslog includes the following (many dupes elided):
Code:
2017/01/05 15:27:58.000 kernel[0]: USB device AAAA8816FD131000 - BOT reset completed with kUSBHostReturnPipeStalled.
2017/01/05 15:27:58.000 kernel[0]: USB device AAAA8816FD131000 - will be reset!
2017/01/05 15:27:58.000 kernel[0]: USBMSC Identifier (non-unique): 0x00000000 0xaaaa 0x8816 0x1308, 2
2017/01/05 15:27:58.000 kernel[0]: USB device AAAA8816FD131000 - fConsecutiveResetCount = 1.
2017/01/05 15:27:58.000 kernel[0]: disk6s1: media is not present.
2017/01/05 15:27:58.000 kernel[0]: disk6s1: media is not present.
2017/01/05 15:28:28.000 kernel[0]: USB device AAAA8816FD131000 - BOT reset completed with kUSBHostReturnPipeStalled.
2017/01/05 15:28:28.000 kernel[0]: USB device AAAA8816FD131000 - will be reset!
2017/01/05 15:28:28.000 kernel[0]: USBMSC Identifier (non-unique): 0x00000000 0xaaaa 0x8816 0x1308, 2
2017/01/05 15:28:28.000 kernel[0]: USB device AAAA8816FD131000 - fConsecutiveResetCount = 1.
2017/01/05 15:28:28.000 kernel[0]: disk6s1: I/O error.
2017/01/05 15:28:28.000 kernel[0]: disk6s1: media is not present.

Once this happens, any files not already copied won't make it across and I have to unplug the reader to get things back to normal.

I haven't any other reports of issues with Macs, and only other thread from late 2015 where a user reported speed issues with their reader (but not the same symptoms as this issue).

Have I a dud, or am I doing it wrong?

Cheers,
Sam.

Thanks; will do. Already had a request open for replacement thick mount, so will add to that.

No other reports of this, I'm sure @jokiin can send you a new card reader if needed. Private message him your details.
Actually I had a bad reader with my SG9665XS I reported at the time I bought it. I have another one (labeled Toshiba) that works 100%, so I didn't ask you to replace it. You did offer to do that but I never pursued. Maybe SG got a bad batch of those?

I think we've replaced about 10 from the last 10,000 pieces of the card reader, there's probably people out there that had a problem and never asked though but in all they have been quite reliable

Reactions: sbt
I never used mine :D

I think we've replaced about 10 from the last 10,000 pieces of the card reader, there's probably people out there that had a problem and never asked though but in all they have been quite reliable

Agreed; 0.1% seems OK, assuming majority of customers try the reader, and majority of those finding issues report them. I'd expect this is the kind of peripheral item where alot of folks would have alternatives (I did) and might not bother reporting issues since it's a low cost part, and not a critical item for the dash cam to function.

Even if you were pessimistic about reporting rates, I don't think a rate of 0.5% would be qualify as a bad batch, unless they were clustered in time. The other user with an issue I was aware of via the forum had different symptoms, and reported about a year before I first noticed the problem.

Yes my reader was also defective and never worked, Niko wanted to send me another one but I declined for the reasons you mention.

Well there will always be some % of failures; what matters is the support you get when you get a bad one; I certainly have no complaints about that!

We've had very few problems with them but I'm sure there must be ones out there that we don't hear about as well

i have only ever tried one and it worked, never used the rest. maybe i should test them.

I'd honestly rather not get a card and card reader along with it, as to me they're like getting a DVI cable in a monitor box: I've already got something better anyway. I hope they're at least money makers as part of the package so it's not a complete waste.

I'd honestly rather not get a card and card reader along with it, as to me they're like getting a DVI cable in a monitor box: I've already got something better anyway. I hope they're at least money makers as part of the package so it's not a complete waste.

I've never used any of the freebie card readers shipped to me but I keep one in my vehicle as an emergency spare if I should ever need it. (I should probably test them to see if they even work.)

it's not about being a money maker, plenty of people aren't tech savvy and don't have card readers laying around, I think if you buy something then find out later you need to spend more just to view files etc is annoying, it's not so much the few dollars you might have to spend to buy a card reader but having to wait to get one that is the annoying part

Ok so two reports out of a few thousand globally. Definitely not a wide spread problem.
Well, add one more to the count. ;)
I didn't report it officially (only in my XS's thread) for the same reason as @Edgardo: I have another card reader that is working fine and I don't really need the OTG function. I was getting a lot of pixelation events in the files I cut and pasted from all the cards. If I only copy/pasted them it was ok. @jokiin is aware of that. :)

it's not about being a money maker, plenty of people aren't tech savvy and don't have card readers laying around
Right, I agree, it's a nice thing for some (a lot of?) people. And I'm guessing it's neither a loss leader nor a significant cost center. But there's no option to buy the cams without a card and a reader right? I guess what I'm saying is that if I'm going to pay for it and you're going to ship it, I hope you at least make a couple bucks on them, because I don't want or need them :)

Back