Car Park Crash & Run!

Car Camera Shop

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A great demonstration of parking protection in action! Captured on a Mini 0801 car camera, the driver in front reverses, hits our vehicle and takes a cheeky glance before driving off, unaware that he was caught on dash cam!

Was there damage? If so was he caught?

Yes, there's some damage. Currently waiting to hear from the DVLA to get their contact details as we'd like to resolve the issue directly if possible.

I wish I had one of these on my old car. I popped into my house for 5 mins with my car parked on the pavement outside. When I came out I found a vehicle had scraped the entire side of my car and not left any details.

Now I'm just waiting for Jokiin to release his camera :)

On this occasion someone else in the car park was kind enough to have jotted down their registration, not realising that we had a camera installed. Without a camera, that's the best you can hope for I guess! Well, assuming honesty is too much to ask for of course! ;)

A great demonstration of parking protection in action! Captured on a Mini 0801 car camera, the driver in front reverses, hits our vehicle and takes a cheeky glance before driving off, unaware that he was caught on dash cam!

Hi,
Is your 0801 camera wired to always-on power? Was the camera on motion detection mode or continuous recording? Glad you are getting a resolution to a hit and run.

Hi,
Is your 0801 camera wired to always-on power? Was the camera on motion detection mode or continuous recording? Glad you are getting a resolution to a hit and run.

Yes, the camera is always on, although I do disconnect it if I'm parked for extended periods so as not to run the risk of a flat battery. Motion detection was turned on. :)

Was this guy caught and procecuted ?

Was this guy caught and procecuted ?

Hopefully it won't come to that Jimbo. While we have spoken to the police, we're currently waiting to hear from the DVLA so we can contact him directly and see if he wants to come to a more amicable resolution.

How much room does this person need? They have a tiny car and an empty spot to one side. That seems a little crazy to me.

That happened to me in a Tesco car park. Despite having an independent witness, Police and insurance weren't interested since car parks seem to be like 'no man's land'. Insurance would deal but I would need to put in a claim, which would then affect my insurance. Other car took one hell of a beating, my car just needed a new light lens. I bit the bullet & paid for my own lens.

Yes, the camera is always on, although I do disconnect it if I'm parked for extended periods so as not to run the risk of a flat battery. Motion detection was turned on. :)

Thanks for the info. My 12v power source is always on and I've just left the camera recording continuously when parked for a short time like when shopping. I'll try with motion detection next time to only record when there is movement in the image. I'm curious how much "movement" or change in the image is required for the camera to start recording. I noticed in your video that at the beginning of the recording something is just leaving the field of view to the left so that's probably what triggered the recording rather than the suspect driver walking to his car?

That's a good question fieldofview and, to be honest, I'm not sure exactly how much movement is needed to trigger the camera. In this case, it was a busy car park so there was lots of activity either from people walking past or from vehicles passing the front of the car.

Just as a follow-up to this, we eventually managed to get all the damaged paid for thanks to the video evidence. Over £400 worth in the end. :)

There's more detail about how in our 'A Car Camera Success Story' blog if anyone's interested.

A great piece! It's good to know what the process is should this ever happen. As it is I'm having enough issues with someone crashing into me on the road and I have a witness.... They're denying everything

It's a real pisstake when you go to the police with this sort of evidence & they simply fob you off, expecting you to chase things up.
This is a clear case of driving off from the scene & they have the wherewithal to help.
Even more if you go through your insurance - this IS what they are there for, why you pay out all that money.
Sad to say, though, that even though the prang is not your fault, going through your insurer will still impact on your premiums - because you made them get off their fat backsides and actually work for their money

That's an interesting read on your blog. I had know idea you could apply to the DVLA for driver details (although I guess it makes sense as parking fine people do it). My Mobius should be here this week, sooner it's fitted the better!

I'm glad you got your repairs covered, good work.

Thanks for the feedback Dannnyh! Yes, it's good to know that there's a means of contacting other drivers if it's absolutely necessary.

The Mobius is a great choice for a dashcam. :)

I don't know if the Mobius is safe to leave powered up continuously because of the heat it generates. Does anybody leave their Mobius recording continuously?

Back