Could i have your opinion on my footage and tips on what i can do to improve it?

dgh7322aa

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello all,

I have a viofo a129 pro duo. Please check the following footage (only the first 2min are relevant) : https://1drv.ms/v/s!Au8VSQsyYIEX6URMFCSazxEB3tXP?e=WeNXHk (please download the video, otherwise its just a blurry mess due to one drive)

What i would like to know is your opinion on this footage. How good is it quality wise? For me, here's what bothers me a little bit :

*It feels like the video is a bit grainy. The camera is set to 4K max bitrate, which should be 60. Wifi is also turned off because on that model it can lower the bitrate.
*The sky seems a bit too bright, should i lower the dashcam to see it better?
*There is blatant dash reflection and i hate it. How do i fix that?

Thank you for your time. Have a good one!

a CPL filter will help tame the reflection, it otherwise looked ok though, are you watching on a 4k monitor?

Yes i am watching on a 4K monitor. Still feel like i can spot noise. I guess its to be expected when its not sunny? Also, pardon my ignorance but wouldn't a filter darken the image at night?

Last edited:
Also, pardon my ignorance but wouldn't a filter darken the image at night?
yes, but you want to lose the reflection that's a tradeoff

Yes i am watching on a 4K monitor. Still feel like i can spot noise. I guess its to be expected when its not sunny?
not so much how much sun there is but rather how many trees there are, that's a lot of encoding, that's a tough situation for any camera

Looks like the dashcam is working. One can see if a car hits you, read number plates, maybe a bit of difficulty which particular leaf from various trees damages paintwork.

Put 2 dashcams in the front, one with polarising filter for day, and another one without polarising filter for night & reflections & night vision is solved.

Maybe better value having a second one in the rear window & forget the polarising filter as you can actually still see what is happening.

What i would like to know is your opinion on this footage. How good is it quality wise? For me, here's what bothers me a little bit :

*It feels like the video is a bit grainy. The camera is set to 4K max bitrate, which should be 60. Wifi is also turned off because on that model it can lower the bitrate.
*The sky seems a bit too bright, should i lower the dashcam to see it better?
*There is blatant dash reflection and i hate it. How do i fix that?
Looks pretty good to me considering the amount of detail in the image, thousands of tree leaves to record.

There will be a bit of noise, 60 Mb/s is a lot for a dashcam, but medium for 4K video, especially when there is a lot of movement and detail to record.

The sky is over exposed, but that is intentional to get more detail in the darker areas. If you want to make a movie then turn down the EV setting by 1 or 2 steps, but for evidence purposes leave it as it is.

The dash reflection isn't good, and is affecting the amount of detail in the rest of the image. As suggested above, a CPL will help but still wont remove it all. It may help to move the camera a bit lower down the windscreen if that is an option, doesn't always help, depends on the vehicle.

Back