Dashcams not just for cars!

dawpooldad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
just returned from a week in the Lake district. Whilst there I was setting up and testing my new 0801 and generally getting used to it.
While there we took a trip on the Keswick launch on Derwent Lake.
I noticed a larger version of what looked like an 0801 mounted on the screen just above the pilots(?) cab.
Noticing my interest the guy said "Oh yes, you're on camera!"
I told him that I had similar unit in my car. He told me that it was used mainly for evidence against canoeists and rowers on the lake, as they always think that they can make it before the launch crosses their path! Also they forget that launches don't have brakes!
The unit had forward and reverse pointing lenses but didn't have any markings on it.
Apparently the camera had been used on 4 occasions and had saved them very much more than the cost of it (£1200!)

Rgds

dawpooldad

I lived & cruised along the western North American coast on my boat for 10 yrs. Since it had both AC & DC it would have been a snap to setup. I sure would have had at least 2 DCs in it if they been available (this was in the 1990s).

I remember trying to aim my analog camera at the same time I was dealing w/ 10-12 Ft. waves...having a video cam pointed dead ahead would have been cool.

I guess longer term, a dash cam on a boat would need to be suitable for a marine environment. Something with a waterproof case that could still be powered externally.

I guess longer term, a dash cam on a boat would need to be suitable for a marine environment. Something with a waterproof case that could still be powered externally.
Yea, if it was exposed. I had 2 helm stations & the bottom one was fully enclosed. But the force of the boat hitting the water at times was equal to that of a head-on car crash, so the mounting would have to be a LOT stronger.

I think back on some of the monster waves (relative to the size of the boat) I pitched through....people who had never been been off-shore in a 36 ft. boat would have been astounded .....but then again....remember those Super 8mm home movies of friends or relatives, u never wanted to watch...but had too?

Probably only good for the skipper viewing them later while having several brewski's, & thinking, "Ho___y Cr___p!"

Yea, if it was exposed. I had 2 helm stations & the bottom one was fully enclosed. But the force of the boat hitting the water at times was equal to that of a head-on car crash, so the mounting would have to be a LOT stronger.

I think back on some of the monster waves (relative to the size of the boat) I pitched through....people who had never been been off-shore in a 36 ft. boat would have been astounded .....but then again....remember those Super 8mm home movies of friends or relatives, u never wanted to watch...but had too?

Probably only good for the skipper viewing them later while having several brewski's, & thinking, "Ho___y Cr___p!"

Even if not totally exposed I was thinking about a problem with corrosion with the connectors and many of the delicate parts inside. You're right. I hadn't even thought about the impact of bashing through big waves. It would need to be a strong mount. A good quality tripod head would probably do the trick.

You reminded me of a time many years ago when a lady friend's 15 year old kid had been on a trip to Alaska and I had to sit through all 600 lousy color slides he shot, nodding my head, saying nice things, ooing and ahhing. It went on forever but my friend Johanna had a big one gallon jug of cheap white wine and she kept filling my glass. I kept saying, no, I'm good but she kept pouring. By the time the whole thing was over I could barely see the screen anymore but the slide show became more tolerable!

Corrosion isn't a problem, I had a bunch of instruments, GPS (only for boats then!), radar, radio, etc. They along w/ everything else had to be bolted down though.

I can see a market for some company selling to yachtie types, after they strengthen the mounts & toughen up the insides of the cams. I bet in a few years, that will happen.

Re: viewing slides
ah...the things we males go though for "lady friends".

I think some freight trains here in USA have cameras in the front.

Back