Discrete two piece dashcam with covert Remote lens (for maximum stealth)

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum here and this thread is what prompted me to sign up.

I'm quite interested in a discrete system. Smash and grabs are a concern where I live (and I think most places) and having an exposed camera worries me. Often I'll remove my camera from view if I'm heading to an area where risk is higher. Often I'll take the camera down before I drive to where I'm going to ensure nobody watches me take it down and hide it away. Obviously this has many negative implications.

I think there are many benefits to a split DVR system. Stealth camera placement is just the tip of the iceberg.

Here's a few ideas that come to mind. Some are just a dream but it gives you some ideas as to the possibilities:
  • Hideaway DVR could easily accommodate two camera connections
  • IP cameras could be powered from the DVR unit over the one cable
  • DVR could support simultaneous writing to two SD cards for extra data protection.
  • DVR would house voltage regulator, GPS circuitry, impact/vibration sensor
  • DVR to provide BNC connection for GPS antenna. With a good GPS chipset, antenna could be placed under dash and still receive signal
  • Power connection on DVR could have constant 12V and ignition detection similar to audio components for reliable switching to parking mode
  • Input for vehicle lights such as brake lights and turn signals - on-screen display of turn signal status could help in certain situations
It's very rare that I need to see the video in the car. It's easy to pop the SD card into my phone and review it if I need to. WiFi could be present on the DVR unit and the DVR's settings could be accessed through a phone app. There is really no need to have a LCD screen on the camera itself. They just add cost and size.

Just a few thoughts for now.

Cheers.

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum here and this thread is what prompted me to sign up.

I'm quite interested in a discrete system. Smash and grabs are a concern where I live (and I think most places) and having an exposed camera worries me. Often I'll remove my camera from view if I'm heading to an area where risk is higher. Often I'll take the camera down before I drive to where I'm going to ensure nobody watches me take it down and hide it away. Obviously this has many negative implications.

I think there are many benefits to a split DVR system. Stealth camera placement is just the tip of the iceberg.

Here's a few ideas that come to mind. Some are just a dream but it gives you some ideas as to the possibilities:
  • Hideaway DVR could easily accommodate two camera connections
  • IP cameras could be powered from the DVR unit over the one cable
  • DVR could support simultaneous writing to two SD cards for extra data protection.
  • DVR would house voltage regulator, GPS circuitry, impact/vibration sensor
  • DVR to provide BNC connection for GPS antenna. With a good GPS chipset, antenna could be placed under dash and still receive signal
  • Power connection on DVR could have constant 12V and ignition detection similar to audio components for reliable switching to parking mode
  • Input for vehicle lights such as brake lights and turn signals - on-screen display of turn signal status could help in certain situations
It's very rare that I need to see the video in the car. It's easy to pop the SD card into my phone and review it if I need to. WiFi could be present on the DVR unit and the DVR's settings could be accessed through a phone app. There is really no need to have a LCD screen on the camera itself. They just add cost and size.

Just a few thoughts for now.

Cheers.

"Request" from manufacturers for such system was constantly from my side for more than 2 years. Back then technology did not allow to produce reliable 2ch 1080p for "fair price". Now time is there where in few month we will see such systems ( beta tests ) and hopefully after another 1-2 month they will be in retail. On the first stage there will be no WiFi, but it will be planned into next generation of 2ch remote lens systems. So, just need to wait.

What a great topic, and good contributions from knowledgeable folk.

To me it seems like the technology is all out there. It just needs to be packaged into a suitable form factor.
So just to consolidate some design elements, add a few of my own, and links to examples:-
  • Hide away main unit. Size unimportant. Could be 300x200x50mm. Include:-
  • Connections for all other components of course
  • Control via smartphone app
  • G-sensor
  • SATA slot/s for mass storage
  • SD card slot for event/manual recordings duplication
  • Video out to connect to cars entertainment unit
  • Reverse signal input to select one camera input only to pass to video out (whilst still normal recording all channels)
  • Stick on black box with GPS and some control button functions such as manual record, snapshot etc. Can be mounted anywhere on windscreen.
There are units already available that tick most of these boxes already, but don't have the capability to process full HD 1920x1080/30p video on all channels. If they did we would pretty much already be there.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171293797403https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171112219210
IP-cameras or HD-SDI cameras. Provides easy cable customisation. Possibly more reliable connections than mini/micro usb/hdmi. PoE would be an easy one cable install. No problem using shielded Cat6 cable. I'd even run extra runs in to be able to mount cameras in/on/out/UNDER my 4WD! There's waterproof RJ45 connectors available.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261202065882https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261176667175 (Aptina AR0331 sensor)

Possibly have one USB input channel that you could optionally use a WiFi adapter to feed with a portable camera. Particularly useful after an incident to document damage etc.

One option might be to use the GT2S chassis just for it's discreteness, controls, GPS, and front camera and cable those to an external processor to combine with other video channels etc. But that would require a unique propriety cable. Probably easier to start from scratch....

Starting to look towards some of the NVR systems available. Such as:- http://www.securitycamera2000.com/p...-Recorder-NVR-ONVIF-Mobile-Phone-2pcs-HD.html

Features wise it ticks quite a few boxes. Ought to have a 5 port switch with PoE built-in. Add GPS and G-sensor capabilities. Add some alarm inputs/outputs and ruggedise it for vehicle use and it would be pretty close to what I'm looking for.

I've got some 10mm thick clear Lexan here that I intend to make a "gravel/water/dust" proof enclosure to mount a camera or two under my 4WD. Should create some interesting video footage when on some gnarly off-road tracks.

Back