Distance travelled and speed does not show at start of journey - any explanations?

rogerbid

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi Everyone,

I am gradually learning all about my LK7900 Ace and have notice twice in the last 2 days that the speed and distance travelled does not always show up a the start of a journey. On both occasions, it was after the car had been immobile for a while, and the speed began to display after about 2 minutes and the distance travelled appeared at the same time with an initial reading of 0.1kms. The video of the early part of the journey was fine.

Does anyone have an explanation? Yesterday, when it happened, the car had been sitting in the sun awhile and was quite hot inside, though the camera was in the glove box, and I wondered if the camera had got too hot, but today I took the camera from the cool of the house at the start of my trip to the local shops.

I look forward to any comments, thanks.

Roger

I posted here previously an explanation about how GPS works and the differences between hot, cold and warm start, I'd find the link for you but I'm on mobile at the moment, its in the general section I think from memory

I couldent find it for some reason, but i think this is the same.

http://online2shop.net/guardtrak/faqs/

I might be on my way out on a thin branch of a very tall tree, but maybe sattelites are harder to catch in Australia, as i allso heard GLONASS in more accurate in my part of the World.

maybe sattelites are harder to catch in Australia

Yes, it's because you're on the bottom of the planet. There are only a couple of satellites out to the side far enough to see under there. :)

I posted here previously an explanation about how GPS works and the differences between hot, cold and warm start, I'd find the link for you but I'm on mobile at the moment, its in the general section I think from memory

Hi Jokiin,

Thanks for the reply - I was able to find the link to your explanation: http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...ormance-for-data-logging-in-car-cameras.3566/. Your post is excellent and thanks for taking the trouble to explain to us less knowledgeable beings how these things work. I now understand that it is not a camera malfunction and so I continue to be pleased with my purchase.

Even though I am still running the camera on default settings (I have not even corrected the time yet!) I am doubtful that the quality of the picture can be improved much. However, when time permits I may do back to back tests to see if things can be any better. Last night I used the camera at night for the first time - great results.

Can we upload videos to share by attaching them to a post like this or do we have to use YouTube - never done that so I will need to go there and feel my way.

Thanks for the responses everyone, and to those in U.S.A. and U.K. my commiserations on the atrocious weather you are all experiencing. Our summer here in Melbourne has been very bad so far, with temperatures fluctuating from warm to winter (for us) type temps, but the outlook is for a hot spell in a few days. Whatever, it is minor compared to the weather problems you are all having. There must be some great in-car videos being made!

Best wishes,

Roger

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Roger, any video you'd want to attach would be too large to do here, you can create an account on YouTube (free) and upload there, it does affect the quality as they re-encode to a lower bitrate to save space so your videos won't look as good as the original version, if you want to share video and just show what happened it's fine for that, if you want to talk about quality then original files are needed, www.mediafire.com or www.mega.co.nz are suitable sites for handling larger files, both free to join, mega in particular has very fast servers and don't throttle uploads or downloads so are generally good for the larger files

Thanks for the info, jokiin, all much appreciated,

Roger

Back