Dodge Challenger with orange angel eyes

DaveLC2

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
DOD LS360W
I don't think that's legal but it's interesting. The styling of the Challenger is my favorite of the retro muscle cars.

Dave

100% legal. White and Amber/orange are the only colors allowed for running lights on the front of any vehicle in the US.

I've seen those angel eyes on challengers in almost every color imaginable - green, blue, red, purple, etc... Only orange and white are legal though.

I've been pulled over for white LED's. I think it depends on the state.

I can not get used to LED lights on the new cars, no matter how it is made it piss me off, guess i am a old fart that just havent gotten used to things yet :D

That Dodge would not fly here, its barely the different colors of white light is okay.
The fast and furry boy wanna be racers get in truble all the time for putting LED or HID lights in ther car made for old bulps, and not to mention the colored light different places on/under the car.

I dont get the need to drive a car that look like a crash landed UFO at night, i would prefer a flat black car with no fancy smancy wheels on it ( that Dodge would do just fine )

What are they doing to all these new cars with white LED daytime running lights then?

This was before they started doing that. It would be a good argument now.

I can not get used to LED lights on the new cars, no matter how it is made it piss me off, guess i am a old fart that just havent gotten used to things yet :D

That Dodge would not fly here, its barely the different colors of white light is okay.
The fast and furry boy wanna be racers get in truble all the time for putting LED or HID lights in ther car made for old bulps, and not to mention the colored light different places on/under the car.

I dont get the need to drive a car that look like a crash landed UFO at night, i would prefer a flat black car with no fancy smancy wheels on it ( that Dodge would do just fine )

What I don't like about LED lights is the flicker when you turn your head quickly to check to see if you're clear. It's like you're at a rave or something. I first noticed that in the mid to late 90's Cadillac Seville's tail lights. They always bothered me. Now the base Toyota Corolla comes with primary LED headlights. They more or less look like HID's

Dave

This was before they started doing that. It would be a good argument now.
Reminds me of a story where someone was ticketed for daring to have the factory original tail light assemblies installed on his new Pontiac G8. The cop thought they looked like the imitation "altezza" style lights (which in most cases are still 100% legal but apparently some cops don't agree) so he ticketed the guy. Nevermind they had proper DOT stamps, reflectors, as well as general motors logos...

http://jalopnik.com/5589270/maryland-judge-decrees-pontiac-g8-gt-tail-lights-illegal

Only orange and white are legal though.
I think it depends on the state.

Yes, laws vary by state. Light color, direction the light is facing, flashing vs. not flashing...all may or may not be explicitly allowed or prohibited by a state's traffic laws.

Reminds me of a story where someone was ticketed for daring to have the factory original tail light assemblies installed on his new Pontiac G8. The cop thought they looked like the imitation "altezza" style lights (which in most cases are still 100% legal but apparently some cops don't agree) so he ticketed the guy. Nevermind they had proper DOT stamps, reflectors, as well as general motors logos...

http://jalopnik.com/5589270/maryland-judge-decrees-pontiac-g8-gt-tail-lights-illegal
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! I would be so upset if that was me in that situation.

I'm with you on this. It isn't so much the use of LEDs, it's the deliberate effect of having a pattern of dots instead of a diffused light.
Manufacturers are just showing off, trying to look cool. Lights are becoming more like emoticons than functional safety aids. I think they look rubbish.
Thank God they aren't allowed to use blue LEDs!

I cant belive blue is still trendy, i deemed that color out way back in 2008, and this was after years of blue beeing "the color" in casemodding, and it was still popular when i build my computer.

Thats why my last casemod was made in flat black and red ( candy red / red transparent topcoat over polished ALU ) red cooling fluid - red LEDs and UV light to make the red UV active cooling fluid pop.
Too bad i have lost the pics i took of the computer as it was finished :rolleyes: sure it still sit right here on my table, but i upgraded motherbord and the ram modules are no longer watercooled, and the watercooled GFX card allso had to be updated.

And it have collected quite a bit of dust, so its in no state to be displayed as it is now.

I'm with you on this. It isn't so much the use of LEDs, it's the deliberate effect of having a pattern of dots instead of a diffused light.
Manufacturers are just showing off, trying to look cool. Lights are becoming more like emoticons than functional safety aids. I think they look rubbish.
During this Summer I've honked several times at different cars in front of me for not indicating. Just happened that with the stop lights lit and the sun reflecting on their tail lights I just couldn't see the indicators flashing, so small or misplaced or wrongly shaped they are! The same thing happens at night: these new stop lights are so bright in some cars they almost shine like rear fog lights, and they completely outshine the indicators. The "old" cars (maybe not so old because in 2010 some cars still came stock with normal size indicators) had them of the same size, or even bigger, than the stop lights.

Yes, laws vary by state. Light color, direction the light is facing, flashing vs. not flashing...all may or may not be explicitly allowed or prohibited by a state's traffic laws.
No, the rules about light color and position are national, so automakers don't have to have different vehicles for each state (though some still have different emissions equipment in California). It was a national organization that said Audi wasn't allowed to sell cars with laser headlights here.

No, the rules about light color and position are national, so automakers don't have to have different vehicles for each state (though some still have different emissions equipment in California). It was a national organization that said Audi wasn't allowed to sell cars with laser headlights here.
I'd be interested in seeing sources that support this statement. Based on these articles, the Audi headlights are prohibited due to regulations concerning light pattern, not color.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/01/a...makers-reveal-all-the-road-we-cannot-see.html
http://www.ledinside.com/news/2015/5/regulations_slowdown_us_automotive_lighting_development
This link shows that Michigan has stricter laws, outlawing things like neon and smoked lens covers.
http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1586_27094-73839--,00.html#equipment
As someone who lives in a state with no annual vehicle inspections and lax automotive equipment laws, it's far from uncommon to see idiots with broken taillight lenses that permit white light to show, smoke lenses over headlights and taillights, purple, orange or yellow tinted headlights, steady burn red lights installed in the grill, blue lights where the windshield washer nozzle is, and countless other stupid modifications, and none of these people would be cited or prohibited from putting their cars on the road no matter how much I wish they would be.

I dont get what prompt ppl to think " my car gotta look like a crash landed UFO"

Only mod i been thinking about in the last 20 years is the bicycle inner tube on exaust.

I'd be interested in seeing sources that support this statement. Based on these articles, the Audi headlights are prohibited due to regulations concerning light pattern, not color.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/01/a...makers-reveal-all-the-road-we-cannot-see.html
http://www.ledinside.com/news/2015/5/regulations_slowdown_us_automotive_lighting_development
This link shows that Michigan has stricter laws, outlawing things like neon and smoked lens covers.
http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1586_27094-73839--,00.html#equipment
As someone who lives in a state with no annual vehicle inspections and lax automotive equipment laws, it's far from uncommon to see idiots with broken taillight lenses that permit white light to show, smoke lenses over headlights and taillights, purple, orange or yellow tinted headlights, steady burn red lights installed in the grill, blue lights where the windshield washer nozzle is, and countless other stupid modifications, and none of these people would be cited or prohibited from putting their cars on the road no matter how much I wish they would be.

you're right about the beam pattern being the issue with the laser adaptive headlights. it's been a year and a half since i read that article, and was thinking it was some archaic rule that said the light source had to be a halogen bulb (which technically, i think an HID is still a halogen bulb, as xenon is a halogen gas). http://arstechnica.com/cars/2014/06/laserbeam-headlights-not-in-the-us/

as for the turn signals:
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?node=se49.6.571_1108 - on that page, search for "Table I-a—Required Lamps and Reflective Devices"

light-reqs.png

smoked light covers are illegal in most states, and the ones i had back in the late 90s were clearly marked "for off road or show use only". broken tail lights not being cited is just lazy cops (or drivers "lucky" enough to not get caught).

@kamkar1 - the whole UFO lighting thing is just like loud exhaust and body kits and all that stuff - "LOOK AT ME!" they think they're awesome because people are looking in their direction.

Last edited:
@kamkar1 - the whole UFO lighting thing is just like loud exhaust and body kits and all that stuff - "LOOK AT ME!" they think they're awesome because people are looking in their direction.

And they don't see ppl shake their head in disbelief, or as i actually often do laugh and pointing fingers at them.

I will try to make a compilation video of me driving around and commenting on things i see.

Just saw this today at a bus stop, dont know if its just a Danish phenomenon.

Saw a teen on her phone, but her posture while looking at it was like a runner about to start a run.

Looked a bit like this, a little more upright and the looking at the phone.
business-man-start-running-position-isolated-55935122.jpg

I was laughing my ass off, and hadent it been in rush hour traffic i would have slowed down / stopped and made a comment, even though it was just a teen.

Back