Don't let this fool u in judging video quality

extraoneya

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
2 Finevu Pros for front & rear
I'm brand new to both DCs & video. I do however have extensive experience in painting on the computer* & photo editing.

Initially, I've been focused (1st pun) in how to mount the DCs. I'm now doing some preliminary testing w/ my 2 Finevu Pros. I'm impressed w/ the vid output of the cams but I could see that they use what appear to be an aggressive sharpening effect.

A quick look at the output might result in a person saying, "Wow, what a great picture". But upon closer examination u can see the sharpen effect

Look at the snapshot of a small part of one of my first vids. The white lines alongside the telephone pole result from too much sharpening. I'm sure other brands do the same thing...it just depends on how they implement any effects. This snapshot was from a vid played back on VLC at it's original size w/o any effect added & saved as a unedited png. I run the DC at 1600x900 @ 30fps (the higher resolution only uses 15fps).

As I said, this is a first impression, & doesn't really alter my favorable opinion of the Finevu Pros. The effect isn't as apparent on close or different shaped objects like tress etc. I'm posting this just to inform folks that they should look at the entire picture (2nd pun) before making a decision on where their money goes.

vlcsnap-2014-01-30-10h17m07s58.png

*That means I use computer programs & a Wacom tablet to create paintings. It doesn't mean that I sit on a computer while painting w/ oils & brush.

There are many techniques dashcam manufacturers using how to "cheat" us by providing @ yours "Wow, what a great picture" ;) , but as you stated here, - at the end of the day sooner or later we all find out !
P.S. - picture attached is too small to examine it.

There are many techniques dashcam manufacturers using how to "cheat" us by providing @ yours "Wow, what a great picture" ;) , but as you stated here, - at the end of the day sooner or later we all find out !
P.S. - picture attached is too small to examine it.

I just realized that's there another variable to consider that I had forgot about.

The cam's utility allows the sharpen effect to be adjusted. Mine is set in it's default setting, "normal". I'll have to run some tests after changing that....as my ex-governor said, "I'll be back".

Speaking of cheating...that's why all laptops. puter monitors & TV screens come from the factory w/ a blue tinted screen (cold color temperature setting). In stores, that makes the screen brighter & results in customers saying, "Wow, what a great picture" Most folks never bother changing over to a warmer color more suited to home viewing. I use a monitor profile device to set correctly, but usually only graphic artists or photo editor types do that.

Sorry bout the small pic, I didn't want to alter it in any way, since that would further muddy the waters.

I lowered the sharpen settings 1 notch below the default Normal. After a drive of 30 min., I only detected slightly less sharpness. Using the same telephone pole (as the posted pic) for a comparison, the vid still showed the hallmarks of aggressive sharpening.

There's 1 more setting (on the low side), which reads Low. I've changed both front & rear cams to that & will have to find an excuse to drive.

This may not be as objectionable to others. It is to me, because I know that if u over sharpen a pic, u lose details because the process introduces artifacts but at the same time the image does look better to the casual observer.....keep in mind that I may be approaching nit-picking territory.

I put the setting all the way to the lowest point & finally got an image that didn't have the traits of aggressive sharpening. I should be posting vids w/in the week (gotta mount the darn things).

Note to Finevu, from my initial impression, u've got a quality product here....the over-the-top sharpening u employ is only going to fool certain folks for a short time. It will soon become an annoyance & hides plenty of otherwise visible detail.

I suggest u make the LOW setting u'r NORMAL setting & toss out the top 2 levels....using those adds far too many of artifacts. I would like to see a couple of lower settings, beneath what is now the LOW point. The cam does a nice job & produces a clear image.....let it do it's job w/o the heavy post processing!

yea, I forgot bout that...though I doubt they would make it the default, but at least offer it as an option.

I can't speak from knowledge about the actual inside workings of DCs, so maybe u can jump in.....isn't any processing handled by the chip the cam uses?

So whatever chip Finevu used, was probably programed by the chip manufacturer to their specs. I can hear it now, "Yea, we want it to look really really sharp".

Back