DVR-207 arrived from Spytec -- did I get a DOA?

rolypolyman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Based on recommendations here I ordered a DVR-207 from Spytec. I put in the battery, put in SDRAM, and plugged it up into the cigarette lighter. The cigarette lighter shows a red light, so all is good.

I press the power button. I hear 5 musical chimes and see a brief "Welcome" message with motorcycle art, then the blue light goes off and the display goes dark. Every time I press the power button I get the welcome screen and it shuts off again. Pressing the button on the right has no effect at all. I can't get into any of the menus the same way I did with the DVR-007.

Am I missing a step here or do I have a defective unit?

Hi there,

Did you try formatting your SD card per the instructions in the FAQ?

My DVR-207GS also went through a period where it would do that (dark screen after power-on) and a fresh format in my computer seemed to fix it...

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, thanks, I'll give that a try tonight and report back. Maybe it got corrupted when my knockoff DVR-027 failed.

Hi there,

Did you try formatting your SD card per the instructions in the FAQ?

My DVR-207GS also went through a period where it would do that (dark screen after power-on) and a fresh format in my computer seemed to fix it...

This happened to me too with the older DVR-027. like Gabolinche mentioned formatting the card in a PC fixed it for me as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
You all nailed it. I located a 6-year old SD card in a digital camera of mine and swapped it in, and the dashcam came up fine! So it appears it was a bad card. I plugged this card in my PC and it's not coming up in Explorer or Disk Management.

Makes me wonder why the DVR-xx7's don't have better error-checking in their firmware... a little feedback would prevent a lot of returned units.

A lot of dsshcams will stall if the card is not in the format expected, even some of the dearest ones do this

Yeah, the funny thing is the bad card totally stalls the virtual disk service in Windows Disk Management... when I pull the card out, it resumes just fine. So I guess even Windows isn't immune.

SD card, meet trash can.

Based on recommendations here I ordered a DVR-207 from Spytec. I put in the battery, put in SDRAM, and plugged it up into the cigarette lighter. The cigarette lighter shows a red light, so all is good.

I press the power button. I hear 5 musical chimes and see a brief "Welcome" message with motorcycle art, then the blue light goes off and the display goes dark. Every time I press the power button I get the welcome screen and it shuts off again. Pressing the button on the right has no effect at all. I can't get into any of the menus the same way I did with the DVR-007.

Am I missing a step here or do I have a defective unit?

According to our experience,just have a try to do one simple test on this item :

1)Please remove its battery form battery case;
2)Please remove its memory card form camera also;
3)Plug into car cig lighter to see if it can power on or not?
If it can power on,it indicated that it was the problem of its memory card or its battery

Back