Eachine AT55C

esox07

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Looking
Hey fellas:
I just ordered an Eachine AT55C dash cam to replace my POS A118C. I took a shot on it as it looked pretty decent but for $19.99. My A118C has frustrated me since I bought it. I tried to add a GPS module to it and could never get it to work. In fact, I tried two different ones. They made the cam crash every minute or so. I figured it was when the cam tried to initiate the GPS function. Then, my 32GB flash card died in it. And most recently, it has randomly started to reboot. Sometimes every couple minutes, other times it will go a half hour or more without rebooting. It started to do this after the weather cooled down so I don't think it was the heat. I thought maybe the SDHC card was getting corrupt, but I tried another one and got the same problem. Anyway, I saw this inexpensive replacement and took a shot on it. Does anyone out there have any experience with this dash cam? I havn't even installed it yet, but just playing around with it, I like it better than the A118C. The menu system and buttons seem much more friendly although the user manual sux even worse than the one that I got with the A118C. I will try to remember to post back a review on it when I have had it in use for a while. But, I was hoping someone had some experience with it already and could lend their opinions.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00PL3NOTK

Yah, I did a lot of research and shopping around before I bought the A118C and certainly don't think I got my money's worth there. I didn't want to drop another $70 and get burned on that too. If I get burned on this one, it won't be much more than the stupid GPS modules that didn't work on the A118C.

Yah, I did a lot of research and shopping around before I bought the A118C and certainly don't think I got my money's worth there. I didn't want to drop another $70 and get burned on that too. If I get burned on this one, it won't be much more than the stupid GPS modules that didn't work on the A118C.

yeah unfortunately you bought a knockoff version, not sure that buying something even cheaper is heading in the right direction

How do you know I bought a knock off version?

Neither did the camera that I bought :)

So, if a guy had $75 to spend on a dash cam, what would you tell him to buy?

I prefer not to recommend cameras, if someone short lists what they like I'll offer feedback on which of their chosen cameras is the better choice or if something is a particularly poor choice I'll point that out, better if the decision about what you buy is your own though, $75 pretty much limits you to buying out of China so what kind of support you might get should also be considered

Point taken. I just can't justify the price of some of the more main stream cameras. I don't know how it always works that way, but when Christmas is coming, and the wife asks what I want, I can't ever think of anything. A month after Christmas and I have a list of three or four items that i could have given her. Oh well, wish me luck on the AT55C. I am hoping someone else will chime in who has used one already.

Yah, better than the clothes I got and won't wear!

I know your experience with the A118-C was less than stellar but as @jokiin pointed out you were using a knock off version. I have 2 A118-C cameras purchased from SpyTec and they've both been rock solid since day one (and work with GPS as well ;) ).

Now having said all that it's possible that SpyTec may be obtaining them from a different source than when I purchased mine.

I heard that a 119c was out now???

You don't get what you don't pay for so no cheap cam is going to serve you well. Use this one to tide you over until you can save up enough for a good one, then if this one is still working use it as a rear cam or gift it to someone ;)

I bought a cheap G1W recently which turned out to be fake though it's usable for my purpose (side cam) and it's still working over a month later, which for a $21 cam is as much as I could honestly expect even if it dies today. The Samsung card I put in it cost nearly that much :rolleyes: Our member "old54570" has tested several cheap cams on his website (which inspired my purchase) and a couple seem OK for the price but most are just cheap junk.

Good ain't cheap and cheap ain't good- just how important is having a clear and reliable record of your driving to you? Then that's how much you should spend on your cam :cool:

Phil

If you had saved the $20.00 you would have been on your way to get a camera with an established history of working correctly from this website. However you decided to use your expertise and buy a $20.00 camera, THEN come here and ask about it :rolleyes::D.

Sorry but you need to think before you act. Good luck.

Last edited:
If you had saved the $20.00 you would have been on your way to get a camera with an established history of working correctly from this website. However you decided to use your expertise and buy a $20.00 camera, THEN come here and ask about it :rolleyes::D.

Sorry but you need to think before you act. Good luck.

As should you Lola. There is almost nothing good in your post, and at best you've only ensured that the numbers of people willing to listen to you have shrunk :( While I agree that asking about a choice after it has already been made isn't exactly being completely wise, I also realize that there is a person behind every screen-name and that they are not required to listen to me or you or anyone else. I want to reach that person and have them hear my thoughts, which my bashing ofv them will stop in it's tracks :eek: Just because a cam is insanely cheap doesn't always make it a bad choice- my cheapo should (and probably will) last long enough covering the 4th side of my van for me to upgrade slowly as I had already planned to do and that Eachine might serve the OP equally well. I think they understand not to expect a lot if they've already been dissatisfied with a cam costing 4X as much.

Any working cam is better than none and as long as you understand that a cheap cam may not work when you need it the most then the rest is on you ;)

For me, I simply reached the conclusion that given how my finances work (boom or bust, nothing in between) it was wiser to fill that 4th spot with something now as I don't know when my next 'boom' will happen, only that it eventually will (probably next week if all goes well- knock wood :p). Then it's upgrade time which will be a happy event indeed :D

Phil

I am keeping my mouth shut as i have no clue what is out there in that prize segment, but i do think most things there are a gamble.
And also hard to research what might be worth a try or not, cuz most people buying at the low prize dont seem to be bothered telling about it when the product fail or not.

Back