Found this 12V to 5A 1A Mini USB adapter. ¿worth it?

Mobius Colombia

Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Dash Cam
Mobius
Hi. I was thinking about how to mount dashcams that are meant to be used permanently in cars without using the cigarette lighter, inspired in a great idea from @9a6or. That will eliminate the need of having to buy:
- Cigarette lighter to USB
- Long USB cable

And found this on ebay:
lczDQi5.jpg

Features:
100% Brand new
Module Properties: non-isolated buck
Light compact, convenient to use and transport
Operating Temperature: Industrial (-40℃ to +85℃) (ambient temperature exceeds 40 degrees, lower power use, or to enhance heat dissipation)
no Short circuit protection: red DC +, black DC -, if necessary, enter the series diode.

Specifications:
Input voltage: 12V
Output voltage: 5V
Output Current: 1A MAX , can use for 1A current,such as cell phone ,MP4,some GPS .
power cable lenght : 1M ,mini usb output lenght : 1.5M

I guess this is the perfect solution, but I can use your words of wisdom. I'm new here and don't want to screw my cam.

Are you going to add a manual on/off switch or unplug at the camera when parked for extended periods? Many of us use a battery drain prevention device to hardwire so we can still start the car in case the dashcam is left on too long.

KuoH

Are you going to add a manual on/off switch or unplug at the camera when parked for extended periods? Many of us use a battery drain prevention device to hardwire so we can still start the car in case the dashcam is left on too long.

KuoH
mmm, didn't though about it. I guess unplug the camera from the mini usb will do it, right? Is it a big concern? What do you mean with "extended periods"? Months? days? How fast will this drain a car's battery? I'm aiming to frequent users anyway.

You could also follow what @YamahaX did with his mini usb adapter using a spdt switch.

Attach power adapter:
View attachment 18060 View attachment 18061 View attachment 18062
Fuses:
View attachment 18063
And camera:
View attachment 18064
*Switch: 0 position = no power. 1 = constant power**. 2 = Power when car is running.
GPS unit on ToDo list (needs to flip antenna).

** atm in OBD line (dont know yet how long is powered or is it constant).

You could also follow what @YamahaX did with his mini usb adapter using a spdt switch.
that looks great, thanks. Still don't see the need for the switch. If I unplug the camera it won't drain the battery, right?

It depends on the design and parasitic current drain. If it's cheap, inefficient and has a high parasitic draw with no load, then you could still come home to a dead battery after a few days vacation. The only way for you to know for sure might be to buy it and measure.

KuoH

If I unplug the camera it won't drain the battery, right?

I use this. Angled Mini USB, inline fuse, 3 amp, 3 meters, free shipping.
I just tap to positive wire on cigarette lighter which is switched with ignition. Other wire to ground.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/400553986888

Last edited:
I use this. Angled Mini USB, inline fuse, 3 amp, 3 meters, free shipping.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/400553986888
looks great! Thanks. It doesn't matter it is 3A since it goes to the super capacitor, right? It is an issue only if you're using the battery?
About the one I found: If I plug it the same way you do (red to cigarrete, black to ground) will it work the same way as yours?

Last edited:
Mobius need 1 Amp. to operate. More available amps is just extra. Mobius will just use what amps it need. No difference with Super Capacitor or Battery.

Mobius need 1 Amp. to operate. More available amps is just extra. Mobius will just use what amps it need. No difference with Super Capacitor or Battery.
As far a I know 3A will overheat hence damage the battery, that's why they recommend 1A. Am I wrong?

As far a I know 3A will overheat hence damage the battery, that's why they recommend 1A. Am I wrong?

Volts, yes. Amps, no. Picture it like a sink faucet. You'll only open it so much to suit your need. You don't bother if pressure supply is 5 psi or 50 psi. Higher volts though will damage your unit.

Hi. I was thinking about how to mount dashcams that are meant to be used permanently in cars without using the cigarette lighter, inspired in a great idea from @9a6or...

When I started thinking of how to mount the Mobius in my car, I'd bitten the bullet and read through the sizeable thread here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-mounting-solutions.2654/ You'll be surprised to see that people have thought of your questions before and they have also shared their answers in that thread. Aside from finding answers, it is great fun :)

Last edited:
Back