Fuse tap - 12V side / direction?

Alvie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought a fuse tap to install a dash cam. The Amazon listing didn't specify the direction/which is the hot side etc in the images/description so I assumed that the packaging will show it once it arrived. However, the packaging was just a clear plastic bag so I am still unsure.

This is the fuse tap: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B071DYPXKG
I have done some research, and it seems like the left side is always the 12V side (or at least in most cases, though I haven't seen anything to suggest it's the right) when looking for the point of view that would show the fuse slots.

Would this be correct or can it differ?
Screenshot_20190927-151310.jpg

Apologies for the bump, I believe my original assumption was incorrect somewhat. For my fuse tap, I believe it is the left side as it is furthest from the wire and thusly must be the +12V as the wire and other pin have to be the way out to ground/negative. Can anyone confirm my understanding?

Thanks

Plug it in with only the tap fuse inserted, if the camera powers up then you know that you have the common pin connected to power, if the camera doesn't power up until you fit the original fuse then you have the other pin connected to power.

It is possible for them to be manufactured with the cable at either end, so you have to test it to be sure, but normally the pin opposite the cable is the common.

Plug it in with only the tap fuse inserted, if the camera powers up then you know that you have the common pin connected to power, if the camera doesn't power up until you fit the original fuse then you have the other pin connected to power.

It is possible for them to be manufactured with the cable at either end, so you have to test it to be sure, but normally the pin opposite the cable is the common.
Thanks, that's a nice simple solution to figure it out :)

I found a good visual representation of what Nigel meant on the following instructable, in case anyone in the future comes across this thread and would like a better visual aid:

Back