G1W blinking red light

rawbar

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently purchased a G1W from SpyTEC
It is plugged into my cigarette lighter which shuts off about 5 minutes after the ignition is turned off

I had thought the blinking red light meant that the unit was recording, and I do have it set to use battery to record after the car is parked, but I think the maximum setting for that was 10 minutes.

Last night I went out for a walk, I had not gone near my car in at least 4 hours and I peeked in the window and saw the light blinking. Does this thing just blink all the time? Even when on battery?

Last edited:
First of all, welcome to the forum!

It looks like your car's cigarette lighter has permanent power. Have you checked the files to see if the camera kept recording after the ignition was turned off?

Another thing: how did you set the camera to record after the car is parked when it doesn't have parking mode, nor the battery lasts more than a couple of minutes?

Lighter must be active still, battery would be lucky to run the camera for 10 minutes tops in these

Motion detection turned on?
Only if the camera has permanent power. Otherwise it'll shut down roughly 10 seconds after the power is cut off.

Only if the camera has permanent power. Otherwise it'll shut down roughly 10 seconds after the power is cut off.
I didn't know that as i never turned it on with mine. I just assumed the battery would give it a minute or two every now and then.

For Motion Detection to work you got to have a permanent power source. The only difference from normal recording is that the camera only "wakes up" when movement is detected. At least in theory. :)

Last edited:
I haven't used my car since I posted, I'll check the recording dates later today. My lighter socket is not perm on, I have a radar detector plugged into the same socket which was off. So, blinking red DOES mean it is recording? It doesn't just blink red in general.

I haven't used my car since I posted, I'll check the recording dates later today. My lighter socket is not perm on, I have a radar detector plugged into the same socket which was off. So, blinking red DOES mean it is recording? It doesn't just blink red in general.
So, when the camera is in normal recording the LED doesn't blink?

Back