G1W-C dashcam did not record seconds leading up to an accident

shadeth

Reaction score
Country
United States
OK, So I bought this camera here on Amazon, the capacitor model:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00KVC7ASW
I had noticed that sometimes it didn't "always" record when it was on. The "motion detection" seems dodgy, but turning that off, it doesn't seem to want to record at all (no red dot on screen). I was aware of this and annoyed by it, but now I am pissed off because today I was involved in an accident and this POS camera didn't record everything that happened.

I was at a red light and there were two left turn lanes, I was in the outer lane. I got hit by the person on the inner left lane, he hit my driver side door because he thought he could go straight even though that lane was turn only. Anyway, insurance SHOULD rule in my favor, but I am highly angry at this camera for not recording the whole time it is on. It basically recorded my driving up to the red light, went to sleep, and only woke up at the moment of impact, not capturing the light turning green or me making my turn. Does anyone else have experience with this happening?

The buttons on this thing are dodgy too and sometimes the menu button doesn't work at all, it is very frustrating.

My firmware is 2014.0813.11 and that is what it came with, I haven't updated it. It seems like that is the most current, so I am guessing there is no resolution to my problem of spotty recording this device does. Any recommendations for something (that isn't too expensive) with similar video quality, that actually records 24/7 while it's powered on? I need a capacitor cam, I'm in Texas.

That's not good, sorry to hear about your video loss. The G1W has good video quality but has limited motion features.

This is where having pre-buffered motion detection of other products comes in handy. It will always capture the seconds leading up to the event. (g-sensor or motion)

You can also set the motion detection time-out, so the recording lasts longer after each stop on other models.

sounds like it was still in motion detect mode
Well, I have tried to turn off motion detect mode, but then it doesn't record at all. Even pressing the record button after turning off motion detect didn't make it start recording (no red dot on screen).

That's not good, sorry to hear about your video loss. The G1W has good video quality but has limited motion features.

This is where having pre-buffered motion detection of other products comes in handy. It will always capture the seconds leading up to the event. (g-sensor or motion)

You can also set the motion detection time-out, so the recording lasts longer after each stop on other models.

I will agree that the video quality is very nice. I am just very frustrated I can't seem to get it to record the whole time it is plugged in.
Any suggestions on a similar capacitor cam that works better? I'm trying to avoid the Li battery models since my car can get very hot and I don't want to have to remove it every time I am not driving.

I will agree that the video quality is very nice. I am just very frustrated I can't seem to get it to record the whole time it is plugged in.
Any suggestions on a similar capacitor cam that works better? I'm trying to avoid the Li battery models since my car can get very hot and I don't want to have to remove it every time I am not driving.

If you need to stick to the same budget, the A118C or Mobius is nice, but night time quality won't be quite as good.
The next level up in the same glass hugging wedge shape form factor is the SG9665GC (Sony sensor)

Last edited:
Well, I have tried to turn off motion detect mode, but then it doesn't record at all. Even pressing the record button after turning off motion detect didn't make it start recording (no red dot on screen).

sounds like you got a dud alright, worst time to find that out too

...Mobius is nice, but night time quality won't be quite as good.

I have to dispute this. When it comes to low light video quality, Mobius is as good as they get among Novatek 96650 / Aptina AR0330 cameras.

I have to dispute this. When it comes to low light video quality, Mobius is as good as they get among Novatek 96650 / Aptina AR0330 cameras.

Yes Aptina AR0330 can be tuned up pretty good, and yes Mobius is doing it best from what I've seen. Thanks to Jokiin the A118 firmware is improved at night now from past SG9665GM development. I think Sony sensor has an edge, so I choose my words wisely overlapping "Good".

Back