G1w-c Low Battery Shutdown on Startup

SAFVet

Reaction score
Country
United States
My brand-new G1w-c shuts down almost immediately after startup. It flashes a "LOW BATTERY" warning, and shuts down, even though it is plugged into a good USB charger. The display briefly shows a full battery, then go blank, then shows a red X over the battery - then shutdown.

Is this fixable, or do I have a defective unit?

Thanks!

Update: the G1W-C works when plugged in to the supplied car charger, but not when using a USB charger. Is this normal for the -C model? Also, the unit immediately shuts down on power removal. Is there a setting to use the built-in capacitor charge for a while?
Thanks!

Try using a usb charger with at least 1a. I've never tried it with a usb car charger but it works with my phones 120v to 12v 1a charger. If you have a smartphone or tablet with a microsd slot, you could put the microsd in your phone for playback in case of an accident. I do that with an s3 and even though it adds three phone related folders, it doesn't affect recording when put back into the camera.

Tried it with a Griffin charger cube rated at 1 amp. Still no luck. When the charger is plugged in, the status LED at top left of display shows Green for a moment, then goes off while the unit is deciding it has no battery, then goes Red when the unit powers off. Have ordered a charger with > 1 amp capacity - we'll see. Or, is it probably this unit is defective???

I originally used a 12v to usb device wired powered from the overhead console. I taped what I thought was the ground for the dome light, but found the car operates it using both hot and ground. I was floored when I found two fuse boxes on our '06 Chevy Trailblazer. My '12 Chevy Malibu has three. They definitely don't build them like they used to. Who'd a thunk.

I hardwired a loose 12V socket using an "add a fuse" tap to a socket energized with ignition and use the provided adapter secured with a few wraps of electric tape. The cord provided with the GT680W is long enough to reach from fuse box in the console, around the windshield to the camera behind the rear view mirror.

The gps antenna on my GT680W must have the "correct" side facing out of the car. Before I sorted that, it would search for a signal until the battery exhausted and behaved as you described. Once all corrected, it fully charged and I haven't touched it since.

All USB are not alike. I have a Gs9000 that automatically goes manual when connected to a computer. Apparently it senses the voltage on the data leads.

While aftermarket 12v to usb devices are available that will do the job, why bother when the manufacturer provided the right adapter with the unit.

Thanks for the info. What I'm really trying to do is get the unit to stayed powered up when not connected to the car, but to an AC USB power source. Much handier for editing, etc.

My FoxOffer G1W-C (firmware 2013.1112.18) seems to run fine on the Sony 0.5A mains adapter that came with my Sony camera. It also tested fine on a couple of USB power banks (one is 1A output, the other is 2A).

I don't think I've ever seen a green status LED on my unit. Are you talking about a virtual LED on the screen or an actual hardware LED?

Have you tried turning the unit on with the power button after the shutdown problem occurs with power still connected?

Edit: correct firmware number

Last edited:
G1W-x cameras specifications are for 1.5A, 5V power. Anything less than that and performance could/may/might be compromised.

no camera with a capacitor will turn on for very long (if at all) with power disconnected. the CF-100 doesn't even have a power button. the caps hold just enough charge to be able to save the last file and shut down when power is cut, and maybe a tiny bit more for fudge space. certainly not enough to turn the camera back on and do anything.

the intention is for you to either review footage by taking the sd card out and putting it in another device (laptop, phone, tablet, etc) or to hook the camera to another device via usb to copy/review footage, or power it from the car.

even cameras that DO have batteries don't run for more than a few minutes from those batteries before the battery runs out.

It is enough 1A FOR GXW Models , since estore009 supplies hardwire power adapters with that specification

It is enough 1A FOR GXW Models , since estore009 supplies hardwire power adapters with that specification

Every specification I've seen for the G1W-x cameras have said 1.5A. Some have made no mention of the amperage required but all that have listed a requirement stated 1.5A so I would have to believe that's the case.

Both my G1W-H units came with 1.5A lighter adapters.

Edit: I just checked a couple of estore009 listings. Of the 3 I checked only 1 mentioned an amperage requirement and it called for 1.5A.

Last edited:
...So 1A is enough . Though I haven't tested it yet.

You are free to do as you wish - however, if you have problems at least consider that inadequate power may be the cause.

- The owner's manual for my G1W-H specifies that 1.5A, 5V is required (I'll scan the manual if you wish to see it)
- It came with a 1.5A, 5V adapter
- Every published specification I've found that mentions power requirements for G1W-x cameras lists 1.5A as the requirement

I'll continue to believe that 1.5A is necessary and will act accordingly.

Now I am running a test with the http://www.ebay.com/itm/ 131225423881 item, and g1wh is running perfectly, No problems at all! I have tested video viewing, recording etc. Running a multiple hour test to detect any missing footage.

Seemed to go well in long test too. So I think G1WH will go well with just 1A Too.

You are free to do as you wish - however, if you have problems at least consider that inadequate power may be the cause.

- The owner's manual for my G1W-H specifies that 1.5A, 5V is required (I'll scan the manual if you wish to see it)
- It came with a 1.5A, 5V adapter
- Every published specification I've found that mentions power requirements for G1W-x cameras lists 1.5A as the requirement

I'll continue to believe that 1.5A is necessary and will act accordingly.

Well, it appears I was wrong in my belief that 1.5A is necessary. (Not the first time in my life I've been wrong, and highly likely it won't be the last. :eek: ) I bought one of these handy-dandy little gadgets ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00L1V82I4 ) and measured the power consumption of my G1W-H. Results are:

Screen on with battery charging - 0.53A
Screen off with battery charging - 0.40A
Screen off with battery not charging - 0.33A

So, it would appear that 1A will be more than sufficient for the G1W series of cameras.

This begs the question why the documentation I received for mine specifies 1.5A and comes with a 1.5A charger. Nor does it shed any light on why the other published specifications also state 1.5A is required.

From my measurements it appears that 1A will be more than adequate.

Thanks for the measurements! It is good that 1A is enough... since many USB car chargers only supply that.

Back