G1W-CB Firmware question

KingMooCow

Reaction score
Country
United States
Recently purchased a "Black Box" G1W-CB from an Amazon seller. Externally, everything seems as though it's completely legitimate - MOV, 1080P30FPS, HDMI - I haven't opened it up to check the processor, but as everything else seems good, I've skipped that for now.

My problem is one that I've seen referenced numerous times historically across G1W-C threads - it corrupts the last file that it was recording when power is disconnected. Yes, I can jump through hoops to manually power it off or play the files back on the unit to make them workable; but that's annoying. I've tried class 4, 6 and 10 cards - even the card that the seller said to get to guarantee compatibility; all to same results. Different power cords also yielded the same results.

The problem seems to be resolved for most people by updating firmware.
i.e. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/how-to-update-g1w-c-firmware.6450/#post-102000

I've tried to load this, and one or two other ones I found reference to on this site; but the camera always boots to video - it never tries to upgrade.

Where I find myself is the firmware that is on my unit is "G1WC-DA380-15051201JR" which is unlike every one I can find mention of on this site, which all start with a year - 2013, 2014 or 2015.

The seller has told me that Black Box is working on a firmware fix; but I'm not feeling a lot of confidence in this. I've used a Black Box G1W-C very recently that didn't have this problem, and the fact that BlueSkySea seems to have had this resolved in a 2014 firmware revision leads me to think that I should be able to fix this myself.

Does anyone have experience with this brand, or this firmware specifically that might be able to suggest how to flash it do another BIN? I assume it needs a special file name, but I haven't found what it wants yet...

Thanks for any suggestions.

Have you tried contacting the seller? They will usually help if they're any good, and I suggest you do it asap, because at some point you might not be able to return the cam anymore.

I have, and he has been attempting to be helpful with several suggestions and even provided me a new SD card to try; he's now waiting for an update from Black Box (best I can tell). I didn't actually discover the problem for several weeks after I bought it when I decided to review some footage, and couldn't submit it for refund through Amazon.

Have you followed the steps given in that thread exactly? Seems I recall that you may also have to change the file name to what you have now to make it accept the upgraded firmware sometimes. There's a new chipset out for the G1Wh so it may be that these have changed over too in which case this wouldn't work. If you do open it up let us know what you see on the chip- I hope they're still Novatek!

Phil

How can I see the name of the file that I currently have? The thought of renaming it did occur, but nothing I've tried works.
The box says Novatek, though I guess I need to open it to be sure.

The current firmware is at the bottom of the Video Settings menu.

Phil

Have you checked this thread out?
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/tutorial-updating-your-g1w-cs-firmware.11155/

I do not have this issue with my Blueskysea G1W-C. It came with the firmware that is in that thread. I do have a Novatek NT96650 camera that I bought in September, it got to me in the beginning of October. (I took it apart, so I know for sure it is a NT96650). If you do take it apart and find out it is a NT96650, try the firmware in that thread, seems to work for most people. (Do note that it is dangerous to flash firmwares, so you do it at your own risk.)

How can I see the name of the file that I currently have?
You can't unless you have the original firmware on file. These cameras come from so many different manufacturers that even the FW name displayed in the camera is not a secure indication that a certain file name will work.

If you have a good communication line with the seller ask them to send you a copy of the original firmware (you can give the excuse that you'll need it in case the eventual "update" doesn't work). That way you'll know for sure what file name your camera's FW has.

Have you checked this thread out?
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/tutorial-updating-your-g1w-cs-firmware.11155/

I do not have this issue with my Blueskysea G1W-C. It came with the firmware that is in that thread. I do have a Novatek NT96650 camera that I bought in September, it got to me in the beginning of October. (I took it apart, so I know for sure it is a NT96650). If you do take it apart and find out it is a NT96650, try the firmware in that thread, seems to work for most people. (Do note that it is dangerous to flash firmwares, so you do it at your own risk.)

I have tried what that thread suggested, but the camera always boots straight to videoing - so I assume that it's wanting a specific filename, or I'm doing it completely wrong; though there's not much to it. Format, put file, boot camera.

You can't unless you have the original firmware on file. These cameras come from so many different manufacturers that even the FW name displayed in the camera is not a secure indication that a certain file name will work.

If you have a good communication line with the seller ask them to send you a copy of the original firmware (you can give the excuse that you'll need it in case the eventual "update" doesn't work). That way you'll know for sure what file name your camera's FW has.

This is what I figured about the filename - I was just hoping that someone on this forum may have crossed paths with this firmware or Black Box's procedures in general and would know what it needed to be (or if the above linked firmware would work).

I've reached out to the vendor asking for other versions of firmware from the mfgr; since I know that they have versions that don't have this problem (from Black Box - the first one I ordered from Amazon came as a C instead of a CB - but it didn't have this issue, I didn't think to check the firmware at the time, it was moot).

The G1W-C and G1W-CB firmware should be same.
There are at least 2 manufactures making G1W-CB, not sure our version is fit for black box version.

Back