G1W from Geekbuying.com .. piece of crap!!!

cobra_moses

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I literally created an account here to talk about my experience with the G1W. I ordered it off of http://www.geekbuying.com/item/G1W-...-HDMI-USB-AV-Out-Car-DVR-Recorder-315572.html (cost me something like $61 after converting to CA currency, and did not have to pay duty or any taxes when it got here to Ontario Canada). Good price, but brutal when it comes to trying to send it back for a replacement due to defects. I've had problems with it from day one. They agreed to allow me to send it back however stated they need it tracked, which will cost me $47 from here. Non-tracked package from Canada to China is $11. I emailed them and am awaiting their reply regarding sending this without tracking, but i highly doubt that... and i highly doubt i'll be sending it for $47... and highly doubt i'll be buying anything from them again. I guess it's just the way it is when someone buys from Canada to China and finds a defective product.
Here is my list of defects i noticed:
1) The micro SD card cannot eject without the help of a paperclip. When trying to eject, it gets stuck behind the plastic casing somehow. It did this with multiple micro SD cards (i tried 3 of them).
2) The camera cannot reset to factory settings. When selecting this option, the camera freezes, and nothing will turn it off other than letting the battery drain. The typical hold down the power button did nothing (and i didn't dare to open it up). This had failed every time i tried it.
3) Recording freezes up. I can be in the car for a 10 minute drive and the camera only recorded 82 seconds. Sometimes it would work, many times it would not. Very inconsistent.
4) I have a constant static sound every 1 second in the video. It's almost like a swishy static noise and it literally is every 1 second. This has never gone away (i tried inside my car and outside).
5) Just today when driving, the gui hub interface did not display (it was just showing the video screen, but did not display the looping time, that it was recording, that the date was on, etc). And of course with that messed up interface, it did not record.
6) Last week when using it, i plugged in the camera into the PC to view the video files.. about 80% of the files were corrupted with messed up unicode folders and files. Amazingly, a few videos worked, but there rest were messed up. I formatted the card and didn't see that happen again.
7) There is a bit of other crap that happened that i won't get into too much detail as i've been typing for a bit now :)

I do like the video quality when it does work.. it is a poor man's LS300W.. not near as clean or crisp, nor as pricey.
Anyways, seeing that nobody else has experienced what i have, i'm sure the camera may be ok and i just got stuck with a dud.

BE WARNED THAT WHEN BUYING FROM GEEKBUYING.COM, IT WILL COST YOU ALMOST THE SAME AS WHAT YOU PAID TO SEND BACK A DEFECTIVE PRODUCT TO THEM.
Buy local if you can find a dealer!

Just needed a place to share this experience and i think i found it here.

Mo

a faulty product can happen regardless of brand, the real issue is who you are dealing with and what kind of support you get which in your case was not good, a seller to avoid I guess

cobra_moses said:
as stated in the end of my rant. thanks for the input nonetheless.

understand your frustration, buying local doesn't mean you can't suffer the same fate though, there are certainly better sellers in China than who you were dealing with, had never heard of this one before but useful for others to know what their return policies are like and good of you to share your experience

there are certainly better sellers in China than who you were dealing with, had never heard of this one before
They sell all kinds of different stuff from China. I bought my GS8000 from them, but I think it was more of a GS8000 overheating battery problem then a Geekbuying problem. Sucks to hear you had such a hell of a time dealing with your G1W though.

Hey guys..
Thought i'd post an update regarding the above situation:

After communicating with Geekbuying.com via the slow method of email, i was informed i can send the defective camera to them without tracking. I used Canada Post and was informed it should arrive in China in around 2 weeks (it cost me about $14 bucks from Canada to China) and that was just for just the camera in bubble wrap with no accessories in a bubble envelope. One month went by and i didn't hear anything so I emailed them 3 times during the following month and still no response. After two months, i sent an email (my 4th email) accusing them of taking my camera, not replying to my emails, or not refunding my money and that i'll be never doing business with them again. A few days later they finally responded indicating they were on vacation and that they found my camera in their warehouse and didn't know who it belonged to. I asked them to do a replacement, however they no longer had the G1W in stock at the time. After some more email communication, i told them i'd pay the difference and get another camera. I noticed in their camera ad, it stated that they price match so i gave them 2 other websites that show lower prices for the same model camera and told them i have no problem paying the difference if they match those prices. They came back and stated these two websites do not sell brand new (i did contact one of them afterwards to confirm that they did) and wouldn't price match. I thought that was the least they could do after i got a defective camera and that they lost it in their warehouse when i sent it back to them.. plus the amount of time this whole ordeal took. They instead refunded my money. At the end of the frustrating experience, it only cost me the shipping costs, however i did keep the few accessories the camera came with (woohoo!). I bought the camera near the end of July and they just refunded my money last week. They did apologize for the experience and gave me a coupon for $10 off for that same camera so i guess they tried to make things right to keep my business. Too little too late. Just as CheckYourLights stated, you can't really blame the company for a product failure (they are only resellers after all), however it is definately the last time i'll do any business with Geekbuying.
Cheers! .. and hopefully this information is helpful to anybody looking to return a product back to them.

Mo

Hi, Mo. I am a representative of Geekbuying and I'm in charge of Dash Cam. I feel so sorry for what you have experienced, the time and the engery you had consumed and may be the anger you had suffered. Here is my Skype account: geekbuyingmkt, if you or any forum member have any issue with geekbuying, you can leave message to me. I will check it everyday(except Sunday), and reply to you ASAP. It's really hard to be perfect, but we admit the wrong things we have done, and we would try to do better. Feel so sorry to Mo, while still thank you for your support ever.

while it's very good to be able to contact the company through another channel I'd still encourage people to post their feedback publicly, I've never dealt with Geekbuying myself but I've read a lot of negative feedback about the lack of aftersales support, if you want to deal with members here (on a site where they let you advertise) then you need to be offering greater service levels in return ;)

Agree with Jokiin 's idea. Sometime the problems are always result from the inconvenient communication. Anyway, so share what you want say. Good, thank you; bad, fine, let us deal with it. Have a nice day, DashCamers!

Back