G1WH Problems...

eddie50

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,

I have a G1WH but am experiencing problems. After a short while usually 1-2 minutes of using the dashcam it just shuts down (beep noise, then it turns off) power lead plugged in and the charging icon shows.
I have reset it a few times, and formatted the class 10 16gb Kingston sd card many times...
Have also turned of motion detect.
It is being very unreliable.
Checked the power cable.

Can anyone advise what is the most stable firmware (G1WH or other) and what is the best and most reliable sd card to use in a G1WH please?

Thanks

It sounds like a faulty unit, you should contact the seller and ask for a new one.

Take a look at your Auto Start/Stop setting, is it OFF? I had mine set to 10 mins and that is exactly the amount of time for my dashcam to turn off. Turning Auto Start/Stop to off seems to have fixed the problem. I don't even know why that setting is supposed to do, why would anyone want to turn off the camera automatically after so many minutes, unless this has something to do with the motion detection which doesn't seem to work on mine :-(

Last edited:
Yes, the auto power off is default 3 minutes. I don't even understand this "feature", why one would like to turn of the dashcam after 3 min? Anyway, setting it to off seems to solve this problem.

hi i have the same problem. Even sometimes it says to 'insert sd card' but sd card is in there and working fine in other devices.. any ideas?

Yes, the auto power off is default 3 minutes. I don't even understand this "feature", why one would like to turn of the dashcam after 3 min? Anyway, setting it to off seems to solve this problem.
After reading several manuals for different cameras, my understanding is hat it is meant to power off the camera automatically when your car is equipped with a constant power supply to the cigarette lighter. In North American cars the power to the cigarette lighter is cut off when the car is turned off so this feature isn't needed. But if the camera is always connected to your car battery and the motion sensor is on, the camera will turn on with every movement and drain your car battery. That is when Auto Power comes to the rescue. I don't know for sure that is how it works but it does make sense.

hi i have the same problem. Even sometimes it says to 'insert sd card' but sd card is in there and working fine in other devices.. any ideas?
In some cameras the card doesn't 'click in' . I had to push mine in with a letter opener. Having said that, once it is in is shouldn't give you problems. I've heard that not all cards are accepted by all cameras, my seller for example, states in the listing that Kingston class 10 is required. It so happened that is the card I had so I don't know how critical that is but you might try a different card. If that doesn't work and you got the camera on ebay, contact the seller. They are very keen on getting a 5 star rating and are likely to give you a partial refund or replacement in order to get it.

Does anyone here know who supplies legit G1WX dashcams that are reliable??
I bought from Gearbest and have nothing but problems !!!

The first one I purchased never actually arrived... I contacted Gearbest and after a few messages they finally agreed to send again...

When I actually got a dashcam from Gearbest, it worked ok for a few days, then started turning off during use, I tried different SD cards and different formatting, but still the problem
was that the unit was obviously faulty !!

Contacted Gearbest yet again, and I had to get a quote for shipping back to China - and once I advised Gearbest of the shipping costs they didn't want it sent back!
There seemed to be a problem with Gearbest's forum, because I thought I had followed up and was waiting for yet another unit to be sent.

Some months passed and I contacted Gearbest again to see what was happening. Gearbest say they didn't get my message and would only refund half of my purchase cost or I would have to pay 50% again to get another G1W !!!

Have to say that I'm not impresssed with Gearbest's support nor in the G1W that they supplied.

I'd like to know where I can buy a reliable G1WH.

been badly let down by Gearbest, so for any others thinking of using Gearbest, you might want to read some reviews....

I also had issues with the G1WH models.
I had bought 2 of them in January 2015. Within a week, the first issue came up with it wouldn't turn on when my engine started (was automatic before). I didn't mind that as I could turn it on by myself. But then a week later, it would simply power off by itself for not reason.
Luckily I bought them from Amazon who gladly refunded me back the money including them paying for the shipping back to them.

Stay away from G1WH!

I have 2 'Black Box' brand G1W-H cameras and both have been working flawlessly since last fall. Mine were bought from 'Black Box' and fulfilled through Amazon.

I have 2 'Black Box' brand G1W-H cameras and both have been working flawlessly since last fall. Mine were bought from 'Black Box' and fulfilled through Amazon.
Update:

The G1W-H installed in my wife's car has been creating corrupt files lately. On hot sunny days when the car is parked outside (facing south so the camera is in direct sunlight) it will create a corrupt file and stop recording for the rest of that ignition cycle.

I'm pretty sure this is a heat related issue as the camera will record normally once it cools down.

Back