Has anyone tried mounting Viofo MT1 under external wing mirrors for side video footage?

peterharvey

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I wonder if anyone has ever tried mounting the Viofo MT1's under their exterior wing mirrors for side video footage?
It is a remote lens type dashcam.
It is water resistant and has 170-degree views.

mt1-dual-channel-1080p-motorcycle-dash-cam-built-in-wi-fi-gps-with-32gb-microsd-card-1.jpg

Yes, although my mirrors are door mirrors. With real wing mirrors you would get a nice view down the road when pulling out of.a T junction, but with door mirrors that view is a bit restricted. The view down the side of the car also doesn't cover the entire side if they are door mirrors, the front wings are not covered. So I would prefer them mounted under real wing mirrors.

xl_vehicle-60d986f9c6e72.jpg

You need them angled outward at around 45°, then you get a view down the side of the car plus a view at right angles.

It is quite a good view, but I only did a temporary install, with them mounted to the bodywork under the mirrors via a magnetic GoPro mount. My MT1 is now on my bicycle where it does an excellent job.

The MT1 doesn't have a parking mode, so doesn't cover supermarket parking, unless you leave it on full time normal recording.

I once had a camera mounted on the inside of the door, by the mirrors, that was easier to install, had the 90° view out the window, but could also see down the side of the car because it was looking in the mirror. That doesn't need a waterproof camera, and also provides quite good video. You might find that a better place to mount the MT1 cameras - looking in the mirror. Depends on what you want to achive.

I am not sure i would be able to mount something like that rigid enough, for my daily car wash to not tear them off

But ! i would so like a down the side camera system.

To route something like that, you probably would need to use the small MCX plugs Viofo use on some models, then you do not have to drill " super " large holes.
Mind you wire off camera need to come off in the middle of the mount / footprint, but that should also be something you could do, and then you need a STRONG sticky pad.

I wonder if anyone has ever tried mounting the Viofo MT1's under their exterior wing mirrors for side video footage?
This sounds like a job for the upcoming waterproof camera for the A229 Pro & A229 Plus.

Yes, although my mirrors are door mirrors. With real wing mirrors you would get a nice view down the road when pulling out of.a T junction, but with door mirrors that view is a bit restricted. The view down the side of the car also doesn't cover the entire side if they are door mirrors, the front wings are not covered. So I would prefer them mounted under real wing mirrors.

You need them angled outward at around 45°, then you get a view down the side of the car plus a view at right angles.

It is quite a good view, but I only did a temporary install, with them mounted to the bodywork under the mirrors via a magnetic GoPro mount. My MT1 is now on my bicycle where it does an excellent job.

The MT1 doesn't have a parking mode, so doesn't cover supermarket parking, unless you leave it on full time normal recording.

I once had a camera mounted on the inside of the door, by the mirrors, that was easier to install, had the 90° view out the window, but could also see down the side of the car because it was looking in the mirror. That doesn't need a waterproof camera, and also provides quite good video. You might find that a better place to mount the MT1 cameras - looking in the mirror. Depends on what you want to achive.

At the moment, I am using StreetGuardian SG9663DR's as my side dashcams through the rear vent window.
It only gives me a 127-degree field of view.

20200721_081633 2.jpg

I was hoping I could use the Viofo MT1 with the metal bracket screwed to the underside of the window mirrors.
I would have to either drill a hole through the underside of the plastic door mirrors for the MT1's plug to pass through or drill a smaller slot for the cable to sling through, and then through the front doors into the passenger seat area where the main unit would be.

I was hoping to aim the dashcam with its 170-degree FOV down the back of the car, thus losing the front 20 degrees, however the front dashcam should easily take care of that.

It is supposed to be a water resistant external dashcam.
However, obviously it is not vandal proof.
A vandal could easily rip it off the door mirrors, but I hope that I still have the video footage to prosecute that vandal.

As for parking recording?
I always use a Cellink Neo with full time video recording on all four of my dashcams per motor vehicle.

You guys think that the Viofo MT1 on the door mirrors is doable?

2 mt1-dual-channel-1080p-motorcycle-dash-cam-built-in-wi-fi-gps-with-32gb-microsd-card-1.jpg

mt1-dual-channel-1080p-motorcycle-dash-cam-built-in-wi-fi-gps-with-32gb-microsd-card 2.jpg

6 mt1-dual-channel-1080p-motorcycle-dash-cam-built-in-wi-fi-gps-with-32gb-microsd-card-_3_.jpg

I was hoping I could use the Viofo MT1 with the metal bracket screwed to the underside of the window mirrors.
I would have to either drill a hole through the underside of the plastic door mirrors for the MT1's plug to pass through or drill a smaller slot for the cable to sling through, and then through the front doors into the passenger seat area where the main unit would be.
Yes.

If I was fitting it permanently, I would probably make up a new bracket, maybe use plastic, or aluminium so that I can shape it to the mirror, but my mirrors are rounded, if yours are flat underneath then the supplied bracket will work fine. You can fairly easily replace the bracket with GoPro brackets, or a DIY one.

The cable is reasonably thin and will probably fit through the existing conduit for the mirror motor and heater cable, hopefully with the plug still on the end. That will give a neat install. If you have a wide car, then you may be a bit short of cable and have to mount the camera in the centre, unless you extend the cables.

I was hoping to aim the dashcam with its 170-degree FOV down the back of the car, thus losing the front 20 degrees, however the front dashcam should easily take care of that.
The 170 will be the lens FoV. I don't know what the horizontal recorded image FoV is, but it will be around 100°. It is a bit narrower than most dashcams, as is normal for a motorcycle dashcam. For mirror mounting it is a good choice of FoV, but maybe not as much as you are expecting.

It is supposed to be a water resistant external dashcam.
However, obviously it is not vandal proof.
I haven't heard of many issues with its water resistance, and under the mirrors is dry most of the time, even when it is raining, so I wouldn't worry about that.

It is not vandal proof, but it is also not vandal attracting, it is quite hard to spot the small cameras, especially on darker cars. Since you don't really notice them, it also looks fine, even if you do spot them.

Definitely doable, and can be made quite neat.
Not necessarily an easy job, but I think you understand that.
Do note that it is a motorcycle camera, it doesn't have everything you get on a modern car dashcam, and it does run off 12V, but I have been very happy with the results.

This sounds like a job for the upcoming waterproof camera for the A229 Pro & A229 Plus.
That will be a 2K camera?
Can you connect two to one A229?

Here are two threads on my MT1, in case you haven't found them:

I’ve been thinking about doing this for 2 years with the MT1, but I have decided not to since the camera is “so old” and only 1080p and no HDR.
If I do this type of instal it will be with the upcoming waterproof cameras for the A229 Pro & A229 Plus, (IMX675 2K + HDR).

Here is what I’m currently using for side cameras.
Skip to 0:28 and 1:17 to see side POVs;

Last edited:
That will be a 2K camera?
Can you connect two to one A229?
Yes, (2K + HDR).

No, only one.
But since OP runs a 4-CH system it won’t be an issue.
One A229 Pro on the front window with waterproof rear camera on one wing mirror.
And the second A229 Pro on the rear window with rear camera on the other wing mirror.

Back