IR LED on or off

ddac

Reaction score
Do you guys set your IR LED option to be on or off?

In my opinion, night time recording is garbage. Extremely grainy. The only way you can see a license plate is if you stop a few feet behind a vehicle and you turn off your headlights. When I'm behind a vehicle and have my headlights on (which I would at night), the camera cannot tell the make/model of the vehicle. Everything gets washed out.

I tested the cam with the IR on and off. Both about the same.

Your opinions? Any tips and tricks to get better quality night time recordings (besides purchasing a much more expensive camera)?

They do something, but nothing helpful :D Theyre reflecting in the windshield for the camera. So you cant really see anything on the videos. I would turn them off

Jack_xD said:
They do something, but nothing helpful :D

well yes they do something, as you point out they they don't do anything positive though, worst marketing gimmick ever

The IR LEDs work really well. I carried my DVR207 with them LEDs a-blazing down into my unlit basement. I could still make out my hands held inches (x 2.5 cm) in front of the lens. Installed in the car, in total darkness I could see my windshield and the hood (bonnet, for the limeys) of my car. Beyond those distances....zilch.

RSole said:
The IR LEDs work really well. I carried my DVR207 with them LEDs a-blazing down into my unlit basement. I could still make out my hands held inches (x 2.5 cm) in front of the lens. Installed in the car, in total darkness I could see my windshield and the hood (bonnet, for the limeys) of my car. Beyond those distances....zilch.

I would reasonably expect any roadworthy vehicle to be fitted with operating headlights, 4, 6, or any number of gimmick LED's on the front of a cam are never going to offer any assistance over and above what your headlights would do, it's one of the strangest marketing ploys trying to convince consumers otherwise

jokiin said:
RSole said:

I would reasonably expect any roadworthy vehicle to be fitted with operating headlights, 4, 6, or any number of gimmick LED's on the front of a cam are never going to offer any assistance over and above what your headlights would do, it's one of the strangest marketing ploys trying to convince consumers otherwise

I can only assume that the IR LEDs were meant to be used in parking mode, with motion detection enabled to catch the punks that are smashing your windshield. That's all they're good for, if that.

RSole said:
jokiin said:
RSole said:

I can only assume that the IR LEDs were meant to be used in parking mode, with motion detection enabled to catch the punks that are smashing your windshield. That's all they're good for, if that.

if they can do that 2.5cm from the lens then it could be a great feature after all ;)

Hello,

I've been playing with my DVR-207's setting a little more. I'm keeping it at 720P, and the EV at 0.0. Just to try it out I set the IR to Auto, (and I don't know if this has anything to do with it), but it seems when the IR setting is on Auto, the picture is a little less grainy. I watched it on my TV with an HDMI cable, so usually the graininess is quite pronounced when watching it on a TV, but after turning on IR today for the first time, the picture seems better.

Back