LK-7900 Ace corrupt card

Takeover

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Has anyone experienced a corrupt card problem and do you know what it looks like? Sometime about two days ago, I noticed my 7900 not working as it should. It would display the time for about a second or two, then it would be followed by 4 dots for a second or two then repeat.

Is this a corrupt card issue? As I type this, I'm in the middle of reformatting the card because I cannot access it on PC. Every time I go to, Windows wants me to reformat it so I really have no choice. I can only assume its a corruption issue?

So, after I reformat the card do I just plug it back into the camera? Or will I need to drop the latest firmware into the SD then just push it in and power up? Also I seem to remember some configuration files that came pre-loaded onto the card before I got it. The first thing I did when I bought it was make sure it was updated to latest firmware and noticed some files. Will those those be loaded again upon loading the SD into the camera?

Any and all help would be great. Thank you!

If you reformat your card in the camera or using the Lukas Viewer software, you shouldn't lose the config file. If you format thru windows, then I imagine you lose the file, someone correct me if I'm wrong...I'm new at this as well. Best practice, format in Lukas Viewer, and then put it into the camera, it should operate normally.

I understand what you're saying, but then how do people buy say another SD card from say Samsung, and have no problem at all?

I upgraded my card in mine to a 128gb Kingston with no issue. So, lets start off with the basics. What Firmware version are you running? You should be running version 37. If you are unsure, when you start your camera, it should boot up and show A37 on the LED. If it does not, update firmware...instructions below.

When using a new SD card, just copy your original config.bin file and folders over from your old cad to your new card and it should work fine.

Look on your current card, you should have several folders (Always, Event, Movie, Motion) and your config file. If you have nothing on your card at all....then that's your problem. Basically, when you re-format in windows...it wipes the entire card clean. When you reformat in Lukas Viewer or the camera itself, you keep the config.bin file and associated folders which are needed to run the system/camera.

I can also send you a new config file if you need it.

UPDATE FIRMWARE
If it does not have the latest firmware version, go here and update (choose the first update showing which is AC37)
http://www.lukashd.com/gnuboard4/bbs/board.php?bo_table=eng_firmware&wr_id=115

1. Download the attached firmware file.
2. Back up important data then format the SD card through Lukas viewer.
(Those who use 64/128GB memory cards, format through Lukas viewer or dashcam device)
3. Copy and paste unzipped files into the SD card.
4. Start a car engine. (To prevent power cut-off while updating)
5. Connect power then turn on the dash cam. When ‘SD_Fail’ appears on the segment window, insert the SD card.
6. ‘UPDA’ appears on the segment window.
7. After the update is complete, dash cam automatically reboots.
8. The update is complete.
(Normal operation starts after formatting from the device. In case of ‘memory allocation 64KB on Windows 7’ excepted)

Thank you for your reply.

To answer your question, I may have been running firmware v. 31? Whatever the latest was around Sept '14.
I understand how to download and update the current firmware, just my current problem doesn't allow me to do this. I cannot access the card as if I were to go through my computer and into the SD's drive K:/. Every time I try it just brings up a reformat prompt. I can't even reformat it in Windows. I HAVE NOT tried to format in the viewer program which I will try next. I may need your config files and exact folder layouts if I go and buy a new card if this one is toast.

Hmmm...sounds like the card may be kaput and you need to update your firmware to AC37. Make sure the little slide lock is not engaged on the card, otherwise it wont do reformat or write.
If you get a new card, download the latest firmware to it, update your camera by following the instructions above and it should automatically create the folders and config files. By the way, Kingston SD cards have a lifetime warranty, not sure what other cards do. I understand that SD cards do have a limited life in general and are considered "consumables." I know that one or two out there have a lifetime warranty but list dashcams as an exception to the warranty, so I went with Kingston.

So I went on my lunch break to a office supply store and bought a new Sandisk extreme pro 32GB card. Not sure if I got screwed on the cost if the pricing is all bull**** like HDMI cords are, but I have a new SD card never the less. So I powered on my camera without the new SD card and it displayed the firmware version followed by "SD Card Failure" I put in the new card said push a button to format the card, did that and now it runs fine. Just so people know you don't need to format it in the viewer, or when you buy a new card transfer over configs. The camera does all that for you I guess. I was using the default Lukas SD card so I think it maybe toast. Don't know. Hopefully I didn't engage the lock on it, but wouldn't explain why I can't access it. The only thing I'm aware the lock does prevents you from deleting or modifying on it.

Glad you got it working. The faster SD cards are generally more expensive. I ordered mine from Amazon, direct from Kingston and saved about $35 over going to the office supply store for the exact same card. I imagine the original Lukas SD cards are probably not the highest quality.

Even the best can fail, i had lexar and kingston fail on me, but both was a outright pleasure to RMA as i just got a new card no questions asked.
The lexar i dident even have to send in, just mailed shop copy of my invoice and they send me a new card which i had in my had 2 days later.

If A31 work for you and you dont use CPL filter or have camera on a tinted window there is little need to upgrade to the newest firmware.
I did upgrade my LK-7500 to the new firmware only to find it was a waste of my time :D

Thats why I got a kinsgston...it's not "if it will fail", but rather "when it will fail." When it does, I can just get it replaced with little hassle without having to spend more money.

Back