micro SD card selection

su888

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Guys, would like to know why dash cams are limited to typically 32GB micro SD cards? Is there a particular reason for this - and what would happen if i put a 64gb card in the unit?

Finally, i purchased a DR32 unit, and about to buy a microSD card (32GB if that is what the limit is). Does it matter on brand/class, and what benefit will i see out of it?

64gb could work, I think the limitations are SW based.
The SDHC (32gb) cards will work, or you can experiment by puting in SDXC card (64gb)
My personal opinion to go for class 10.

I'll reiterate, I had a class 6 on a 720p cam and it was blotchy. When I sent back the i1000 I got the DR32 the card did the same thing. When I switched to the class 10 the problem resolved. IMO there is not enough difference in price to warrant taking a chance on a slower card.

For my DR32 I purchased a SanDisk Ultra 16 GB MicroSDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card from Amazon. Performance has been perfect, and I see no reason for a larger capacity card in a dash cam.

Because a 32GB is not double the price.

su888 said:
Guys, would like to know why dash cams are limited to typically 32GB micro SD cards? Is there a particular reason for this - and what would happen if i put a 64gb card in the unit?

up to 32GB is SDHC, above that is SDXC which is a different (backward compatible) format, some products kind of work with the larger cards but the majority do not, new solutions that are just starting to appear in the market do fully support SDXC so you'll see it starting to become more common

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Innovv Tech 15
super max Innovv Tech 4
Swordfish Innovv Tech 82
Back