Mini 0803 coming

You have the latest one.

You have the latest one.

What I don't understand is I have 4 folders on my outer card which are:

DCIM
GPS
MISC
Player
Nowhere dose it mention Firmware all I have in MISC is file VLC and its only about 54 kb.

Would the Firmware file be on the internal memory? I have never checked

Please have patients I'm old :(

The firmware version I obtained (for 8GB Internal + GPS) was via e-prance amazon and it was FW20140507 V1.0

Have a look at the database with dates/versions maintained by @Tobi@s here
So it would seem to me you have a more latest firmware for the 8GB 2 card version

What I don't understand is I have 4 folders on my outer card which are:

DCIM
GPS
MISC
Player
Nowhere dose it mention Firmware all I have in MISC is file VLC and its only about 54 kb.

Would the Firmware file be on the internal memory? I have never checked

Please have patients I'm old :(

OK - one step at a time.

If you bought a camera with an SD card and the card was in the camera when you received it, the 4 directories you mention will be on the card already.
You copy the 2 directories 'Misc' and 'Player' to your computer and can then delete them from the card. One has the software from the manufacturer for playing the videos with GPS info showing , the other is VLC player which is a windows program that can be used as an alternative player, but won't show details of GPS etc.

When you record, the camera saves the video to the DCIM directory, and the GPS information into the GPS directory.
When you use the 'Player' the program gets the videos from DCIM and the corresponding GPS info from GPS.

When you need to upgrade the firmware what you have to do is
- 'format' the card on the camera (to remove all directories and files). The card is now blank.
- move the card to the PC and then copy the firmware .bin file to the card. There is now nothing else on the card except the firmware .bin file.
- put the card in the camera and turn it on. The camera sees the .bin file and installs it. You now have the firmware on the camera.
- now RE-FORMAT the card to get rid of the .bin file from the card. If you don't, each time you start he camera it will see the .bin file and re-load that version of the firmware.
- now the card is reformatted, when you next start the camera it will creat new 'DCIM and GPS folders when it first record.

The firmware does not stay on the card.

I hop this is easy to follow - if not - ask for clarification.

However - it appears you have the latest firmware (one no one else seems to have yet) so you don't need to do any of this at the moment.

Thanks, I'll attempt it if and when there is another update

I have upgraded and downgraded my 0803 a few times now and have never formatted the card before copying the firmware.bin file to it and it has worked every time. I just copy the .bin file to the root directory and leave all the folders where they are. Once you have done the up/down grade delete the .bin file. I have found that the 20140510 firmware gives slightly better video quality than 20140507.

I have upgraded and downgraded my 0803 a few times now and have never formatted the card before copying the firmware.bin file to it and it has worked every time.

Instructions from manufacturers usually recommend deleting all content from the card except the firmware file - indeed I've had devices where they do not upgrade if there is anything on their card in addition to the firmware file - and formatting is the quickest and easiest way to do this.:D
Obviously there are exceptions - but I was trying to keep it simple for silkynitro as the instructions I posted would definitely work for him, and hopefully not confuse him any further by suggesting multiple ways of achieving the desired result - eg try this and if you have a problem try that instead.o_O

Hi,
Thanks for a very informative thread.
I received my 0803 last weekend, from E-Prance fulfilled by Amazon UK, and am very pleased with it.

These are my experiences so far :
1. The unit has 8gb internal and a 32gb Kingston 6 micro SD card (also supplied by E-Prance)
2. The Firmware version is 20140507.
3. My settings are 1080, EV +1, G-Sensor ‘Close’, and MPH. I think everything else is default.
4. The GPS mount is loose as others have discovered. Will attempt the paper shim fix when I get time.
5. The opening spash screen is E-Prances with musical note. Other than that I haven’t been aware of any annoying bleeps.
6. I found playback is not good directly from the Micro SD card, and must be copied to a PC first.
7. I use Registrator Viewer for playback with the GPS facility – the supplied software was deleted by my Norton Antivirus.
8. The GPS location is embedded in the video – it can be seen at the bottom of the screen if using Media Player Classic – something to me mindful of if handing the video as evidence. I can’t see a way to disable the embedding without disabling the GPS feature.
9. The G-Sensor was continually locking my files – so would have prevented overwriting. Currently it’s set to ‘Close’ until I can look at it again.
10. The unit seems to run quite hot, hoping that it won’t shorten the life too much.
11. I liked the idea suggested here to use a Micro SD to SD extender connector to make easy removal of a full sized card - I might look into that.
12. From experience with other dash cams and electronics, I always power off before removing from the mount or removing the SD card - it can be too easy to damage the chips.

The picture playback is good, but the freeze frames are excellent. Very easy to read number plates.
Since it wasn’t bought to record a journey other than to log incidents and number plates, its perfect for my needs. Considering the cost, its excellent value.

Dash reflection is a problem in my cart hough, so will experiment with a filter when I get a chance.
Would appreciate any help from anyone who has tried fittng a polarizing filter to the camera.

Once again, thanks for the excellent tips and screen shots from regulars.

I've recently noticed some journey recordings missing and I don't know why?
However whilst driving I've noticed the L.E.D showing various colours can anyone help with the status I've observed below so I can begin to work out the cause.
Switched live feed to the cam whilst driving live feed removed once igintion switched off.
1) led = red
2) led = blue
3) led = pink
4) led = blinking red
5) led = blinking blue

Not been able to find explanation in 0801 manual as no 0803 manual as I'm aware yet.

My experience is:
red = Battery charging
blue = Unit in Standby
flashing blue/red = Record & Battery charging
flashing blue = Record (my unit switches to this shortly after starting when battery is full)

pink is new to me...

Lost recording might be loose connection with holder, making the red look pink.
Others have suggested connecting power directly to the unit, not the holder.
Not tried that, but it might be worth experiment.

Just re-read and see you're already trying that :oops:
Did it fix the problem?

Last edited:
I've ordered one from E-Prance via Amazon but it hasn't arrived yet.
4. The GPS mount is loose as others have discovered. Will attempt the paper shim fix when I get time.

9. The G-Sensor was continually locking my files – so would have prevented overwriting. Currently it’s set to ‘Close’ until I can look at it again.
I wonder if these two are connected, the camera moves in its mount and records it as an impact or shock?

Frank

That's a good thought.
I'll try to fix the looseness and see what happens.

I have also found three files that I can't copy from the micro card, so it could be that the connections is failing.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

I've fixed the looseness by following the instructions here:

I used 90gsm paper, and its now a really snug fit - no movement at all.

Have set the g setting to 3.5 and see how it goes.
(anyone recommend a suitable setting?)

Also changed the record loop to 3 mins (was 5) just in case the glitches were caused by something else.
Glad I found this forum.

Question about locking files.

When I lock a file, it sometimes also locks the previous file.
This is a good idea in case of you lock when the new file just begins.

But what is the rule ?

Sometimes it only locks 1 file.

My Loop setting is set to 5 min.

I've ordered one from E-Prance via Amazon but it hasn't arrived yet.

Good luck - I cancelled my Eprance/Amazon order after over a months wait for it to appear. They were very polite, but ultimately unable to help, and offered a full refund. I think I'll be ordering from a supplier with stock in the UK - it makes the returns process a lot quicker and easier too, should there be a problem.

Back