Mobius ActionCam and External Battery

aquaport

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just looking for some clarification. If I connect an external battery, I will need to set the time and date each and every time I connect the battery to the camera after charging? Is this done manually on the camera after the battery is connected?

Thanks Gang!

The internal clock requires some power to keep track of time. No power = all settings are lost. It doesn't take a lot of power, so putting a 1,000uf capacitor across the power connection may hold enough power when the battery is disconnected. I'm not sure because I've never tried it, but past experience with other things says it should work.

Bob Diaz

When using an internal capacitor the camera will not lost the date/time and the settings. But when changing from battery to capacitor these dates will be lost.
The settings will be not lost even the battery will be disconnected.

enjoy,
Mtz

The battery have over-charge protection, don't worry about this. When recording connected to USB power, the Mobius will charge the battery and when this is done the recording will use only the power from the USB, not from the battery.

enjoy,
Mtz

i am going to use a 3,7v 5 amp instead of the original battery 3,7v 500 mili amps
should work right?

i am going to use a 3,7v 5 amp instead of the original battery 3,7v 500 mili amps
should work right?

It will work. The Mobius will only draw the power it needs. BTW 1A is the recommended minimum for power supply, not 500mA.

It will work. The Mobius will only draw the power it needs. BTW 1A is the recommended minimum for power supply, not 500mA.
Sounds like he is replacing the battery itself, which is 500-540 milliamps I believe

Sounds like he is replacing the battery itself, which is 500-540 milliamps I believe
yup
i have allready the battery out
now i'm just waiting for the 5000 miliamps battery instead of the original one 520

yup
i have allready the battery out
now i'm just waiting for the 5000 miliamps battery instead of the original one 520

How are you doing that? there is no way you found a 5 mAh battery to fit the mobius??Curious to what you are doing as I current run a 8000 mAh external battery.

did you test your battery till run out?
how much time did the camera recorded with your 8000 miliamps?

Apologies for stating the obvious, but without its internal battery or a capacitor, Mobius will not save the file being recorded when external power is cut.

well mine its olso an external one
So, why take the original battery out?

I'm running mine with a super cap.

@denver2013 to answer your question, I got a total of 17-18 hours of record time with my 8000mah battery

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, that's great.

I am awaiting some 30,000mAh solar thingie (http://www.ahappydeal.com/product-165223.html), I want to use it for my phone / tablet, but when used with the mobius....... what would that bring me? Couple a days?

Anyone? (just curious, no real need to)

Although, if I might consider to make a setup with such an external battery, I intend to keep the internal battery in the camera.

Good or bad idea?

wow, that's great.

I am awaiting some 30,000mAh solar thingie (http://www.ahappydeal.com/product-165223.html), I want to use it for my phone / tablet, but when used with the mobius....... what would that bring me? Couple a days?

Anyone? (just curious, no real need to)

Although, if I might consider to make a setup with such an external battery, I intend to keep the internal battery in the camera.

Good or bad idea?

This product is unlikely to really be 30,000mAh but otherwise it should work fine. As to how long it will power the Mobius the only way to really know is to test it with a timer.

This seems like an interesting product, except for one thing. Solar cells need to be placed in the sun to charge, yet the lithium-ion batteries inside this charger should be kept as cool as possible and overheating them should be avoided at all costs. Somehow it seems contradictory to have a product using this kind of battery that is intended to be placed in the (hot) sun to charge. If it were me I think I would stick with a rechargeable battery pack that does not have a solar cell on the side of the case.

Last edited:
Those cheapo solar battery pack will charge through a normal house hold window. I have 2 of em.

I clicked on this thread cause I was in the same frame of mind as dirkzelf.

Back