Mobius Super Capacitor.

Update. I installed a capacitor in my oldest Mobius cam 9 years 5 months ago. It starts recording when the engine is started. It holds date & time correctly, & saves the last file after the engine is switched off. It’s in use around 5 days a week.

My other Mobius retired from service when it’s capacitor failed after 7 years 5 months. I considered buying a replacement capacitor, but decided against it. This Mobius owes me nothing, & will serve as a source of spare parts (if needed in the future) for the one that continues to work perfectly.

Update. I installed a capacitor in my oldest Mobius cam 9 years 6 months ago. It starts recording when the engine is started. It holds date & time correctly, & saves the last file after the engine is switched off. It’s in use around 5 days a week.

My other Mobius retired from service when it’s capacitor failed after 7 years 5 months. I considered buying a replacement capacitor, but decided against it. This Mobius owes me nothing, & will serve as a source of spare parts (if needed in the future) for the one that continues to work perfectly.

Update. I installed a capacitor in my oldest Mobius cam 9 years 7 months ago. It starts recording when the engine is started. It holds date & time correctly, & saves the last file after the engine is switched off. It’s in use around 5 days a week.

Update. I installed a capacitor in my oldest Mobius cam 9 years 7 months ago. It starts recording when the engine is started. It holds date & time correctly, & saves the last file after the engine is switched off. It’s in use around 5 days a week.

Nearly ten years from a dashcam that's insane!

I also have an A119 v2 that’s performing perfectly after 5 years with me. I think it was about a year old when I got it from @TonyM
I gave my v1 a119 to someone and it's still working fine in their car and five years with a119 v3 for me. Good stuff all around mate!

Nearly ten years from a dashcam that's insane!

10 years and still going is fairly common for the Mobius 1 camera. It is one of the best built, most durable cams on the market.I have several that have been in service that long, some on a daily basis in the fairly extreme conditions I experience here in Vermont - heat - cold - vibrations and shock.

My A119 V3s have been going for just shy of 4 years now.

Last edited:
10 years and still going is fairly common for the Mobius 1 camera. It is one of the best built, most durable cams on the market.I have several that have been in service that long, some of a daily basis in the fairly extreme conditions I experience here in Vermont - heat - cold - vibrations and shock.

My A119 V3s have been going for just shy of 4 years now.
Very nice, that's what we want from our dearly beloveds!

Very nice, that's what we want from our dearly beloveds!

The Mobius was built as an FPV camera so it was designed to endure vibrations and crashes when used in drones, but the camera is also a great dash cam and its durability really pays off in that setting. Plus it is very tiny and stealthy.
I really wish Mobius hadn't stumbled so badly with the camera's development ever since the M1. They've really let it languish. If the original camera wasn't such an amazing product I don't think we'd still even be talking about them. Indeed, the threads on the forum have gone pretty dead.

The Mobius was built as an FPV camera so it was designed to endure vibrations and crashes when used in drones, but the camera is also a great dash cam and its durability really pays off in that setting. Plus it is very tiny and stealthy.
I really wish Mobius hadn't stumbled so badly with the camera's development ever since the M1. They've really let it languish. If the original camera wasn't such an amazing product I don't think we'd still even be talking about them. Indeed, the threads on the forum have gone pretty dead.
Such a shame, doesn't appear they followed it up with a worthy successor either :(. One can hold onto memories of the glory days

Such a shame, doesn't appear they followed it up with a worthy successor either :(. One can hold onto memories of the glory days

It's not like they haven't tried. There was the M2 (which as a disaster). The Mobius Maxi 2K (which was OK but had serious flaws like bricked cameras). There was the Maxi 4K which has great potential but never really went anywhere and also had issues. Now they've come out with the 2K Mobius 1S which is a decent but not great camera where they haven't done anything to continue refining and developing it like they did with the Mobius 1.

With the Mobius 1 they took a great idea and a pretty good initial effort and kept tweaking the firmware and refining the hardware until they had something really amazing that was somehow more than the sum of its parts. We've been waiting for at least some of that dedication and enthusiasm from them on the Mobius 1S but so far, nothing. :(

The M1S could really use a firmware update or two to improve the image quality and the sound recording is definitely not as good as the original M1 and needs improvement.

Last edited:
With the Mobius 1 they took a great idea and a pretty good initial effort and kept tweaking the firmware and refining the hardware until they had something really amazing that was somehow more than the sum of its parts. We've been waiting for at least some of that dedication and enthusiasm from them on the Mobius 1S but so far, nothing. :(
I don't think they have the resource or passion to develop their cameras like they once did. They seem have fallen into the realm of releasing a not-quite-finished product, fixing some of the bugs, then moving on to the next product.

Most of the latest releases have been incremental improvements, forced on them by components becoming obsolete. And none of them have been as reliable as the old M1.

I don't think they have the resource or passion to develop their cameras like they once did. They seem have fallen into the realm of releasing a not-quite-finished product, fixing some of the bugs, then moving on to the next product.

Most of the latest releases have been incremental improvements, forced on them by components becoming obsolete. And none of them have been as reliable as the old M1.

It's quite a sad state of affairs really, especially for those of us who have loved the platform. And although you mention moving on to the next product, they don't even really seem to be doing that anymore.

It's quite a sad state of affairs really, especially for those of us who have loved the platform. And although you mention moving on to the next product, they don't even really seem to be doing that anymore.
I'm aware of a couple of things in the pipeline, and I certainly don't hear about everything as I'm not testing like I used to. But progress does seem to be rather slow.

Meanwhile, many have lost interest and gone elsewhere.
I don't forsee anything exciting coming from Mobius, at least for dashcam users.

If they could fit a Viofo A229 Pro front camera into a Mobius 1 sized box I might be interested.

Sorry for taking this thread off topic.

I don't forsee anything exciting coming from Mobius, at least for dashcam users.

If they could fit a Viofo A229 Pro front camera into a Mobius 1 sized box I might be interested.

Sorry for taking this thread off topic.
Most threads on here veer off-topic before crashing back on-course again LoL

f they could fit a Viofo A229 Pro front camera into a Mobius 1 sized box I might be interested.

I said essentially the very same thing in another thread 5 days ago.

While what I was suggesting here was an updated Gitup F1 with a Starvis 2 sensor it could be something similar but different in form. I think it would be cool to see a discreet, ultra-miniature, dash cam that uses the latest sensor and chipset technologies. Such a camera would have flexible mounting options and include a 1/4-20 tripod thread mount. A camera like this would be stealthy, discreet, versatile and easy to mount in different scenarios. Another similar fantasy has been a high performance, ultra-miniature wedge camera......basically, an ultra-miniature, stealthy half sized A119 Mini 2. It would be challenging to engineer but I think it could be done with an approach similar to how the F1 is built.

Elijah did mention the phrases 'IMX678' and 'dashcam' in an email recently, so who knows what might happen?

Update. I installed a capacitor in my oldest Mobius cam 9 years 8 months ago. It starts recording when the engine is started. It holds date & time correctly, & saves the last file after the engine is switched off. It’s in use around 5 days a week.

Back